Pros and Cons: Bersa Thunder .380?

JC57

I have the Bersa Thunder 380 and my experience and observations are exactly the same as shootniron's.

- It has been completely reliable with all ammo, EXCEPT Sellier & Bellot FMJ, which causes failure-to-feed jams usually once per mag. It runs fine with PMC, Magtech, generic range-sold reloads, Buffalo Bore flat-nose hard-cast lead, and every JHP I have tried with it.

- It is very accurate and fun to shoot. Comfortable in my hand and points naturally for me.

- I can pocket carry it using a Galco pocket holster, and often do, though it's really a bit large for that.

That being said, if I had a Kahr CW-9 I'd probably carry it over the Bersa. While a .380 with good ammo is probably acceptable for the typical civilian self-defense situation, I personally prefer a 9mm or better.

Jim243

Thanks so much for adding to the quality of this forum.

Sevens, I was going to disagree with you on the Bersa and then read the coment just before yours.

I totally agree with you on this.

As to the Bersa, it is a good 380 that is accurate, and I don't mind the mag disconnect on mine.

Good Luck
Jim

Scorpion8

I fell in love with the ergonomics of the Thunder .22,...

That's probably the main factor in the "pro" column, that you have and practice regularly with another identical pistol. The commonality will help in times of stress. There are a LOT of good .380's out there though, so consider others in your search.

Walklightly

I like the looks.

Over the years, it seem's I can't recall anybody saying it's a bad working gun.

I've heard some Internet experts on gunboards say it's made of cheap pot metel, so run as fast as you can, it will blow up in your face the first shot you shoot through it.:D

TBS, I'd consider buying one if I wanted a steel .380. I even have ammo for one. Don't ask.

Sparks1957

Thanks for all the info and feedback, all sounds pretty positive overall.

Just placed an order for one through Bud's, should be here in a few days. Will let you know how it goes!