Pronounce some gun related brands for me please....

Nnobby45

I spent many wonderful years overseas (and a few not so wonderful ones) and always enjoyed listening to the other GI's trying to pronounce words in the native language.

I know what you mean. To this day I know fellows who say Baumleebaum for Vietnamese 33 beer, and never knew that Ba Moui Ba was the correct pronunciation (though my spelling probably isn't).

Bah (3) X Mooie (10) + Bah (3) = 33. Probably the worst beer ever manufactured and only slightly better than nothing--but better none the less:D. The current 33 export beer is, I assume, much better.

OK, I strayed from the thread subject a bit, but this has become somewhat of a language lesson, at this point, anyway.:cool:

Stevie-Ray

Koch is hard to describe in English. It isn't really Coke, since the ch on the end has a "dragging" sound we don't use in English, but COKE seems to be commonly used in the US and is reasonably close.
A German gentleman I know pronounced it for me and he sounded like he was clearing his throat of a nasty sinus infection. He then said the closest Americans come to it is "coke"

SigP6Carry

H&K = Heck-ler 'n' Kahk
Mosin Nagant = Moe-sin Naw-gahnt
Hoppes = Hops
Hornady = Horn-a-day.
sako = say-Koh
saiga = sigh-guh
trijicon = trij-i-kahn

yeah, terribly Americanized and mispronounced in most instances.

stargazer65

Ruger... It is pronounced Roo Ger (Unless you are from the East Coast, then it is pronounced Roo Gah )

I don't have a Roo Gah, but I do have a Bah Retter. I took it with me to the Peetzer Pahlah last night.:)

Uncle Billy

I've found that the best way to learn how to pronounce a name is to call the company and listen carefully to how the phone is answered.

ClayInTx

Good one.

By EdInk:
Bryco.
I've heard some people say it's pronounced "Bry(like cry)-Co(like go)."
Other times Ive heard it pronounced "this lousy piece of junk that jams every round."
Also by EdInk:
Steyr is Sty-er (like tire), right?
This is correct except in the South where tire is pronounced “tar”.

One of the best I’ve heard is about the Georgia girl in Atlanta working for Air France and was taught how to say the name. She would answer the phone:

“Bone ZJure, Ahr Frawnce. Kin I hep ye?”

Edit: Okay, I say it that way, too, :D

Last edited:

carguychris

Two that bug me...

FN FAL. Different people pronounce FAL as "Fahl" or spell it out "F-A-L".

CETME. "Set me" or "C-E-T-M-E"?

On another topic, although most people associate this company with small power equipment and sewing machines rather than guns nowadays, I have been told by an actual live Swede that Husqvarna is pronounced "Hewsk-VEHR-nuh", not "Husk-VHAR-nuh" or "Hus-QUE-VHAR-nuh". :) ("VEHR" was pronounced like a mix between a rhyme with "fair" and a rhyme with "burr".)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
One easily overlooked by many...

Williams gun sight...

In some places it may be (will-yums) but in many it is pronounced (wee-yums):D
Brent

golfballshootr

SAKO = sock - o
Hornady = hor - nuh - dee
Uberti = you - bur - tee
Franchi = fron - kee

This is what I'm sticking with! :D Of course if you knew my surname and heard how it gets butchered, you would think that person failed phonics!! :D

Of course we could go with tomato and see where that leaves us................................:cool:

stargazer65

This is what I'm sticking with! Of course if you knew my surname and heard how it gets butchered, you would think that person failed phonics!!

Oftentimes in the past, surname pronunciations and spellings were permanently changed when they were butchered by someone. My family tree surname has about 3 or 4 different spellings and 2 pronunciations, and they are all considered correct.:p

Skans

I look at it this way. I'm an American. And, I'm going to pronounce things the way Americans do. So, that means I don't say "k" or gargle when its spelled "ch"; I don't say short o if its spelled with an a.

Cook, Coke, Co-gargle?....no, I say Koch.
Fronkey?......no, I say Franchi

I reckon if someone corrects me, I'll tell them that the gun maker can learn to spell it right if they want it prounounced correctly.:D

SigP6Carry

I actually don't know where I picked up that "day" at the end of hornady. I've, honestly, NEVER heard it pronounced outloud by anyone in the know. But I always pronounced it "Horn-a-day" and so people around me, because of me. It's weird.

Mal H

Staff
Please change to "horn-a-dee". Hornaday is just wrong! :)

hogdogs said:
Williams gun sight...

In some places it may be (will-yums) but in many it is pronounced (wee-yums)
Well, maybe in Norman French 1,000 years ago! Where do folks pronounce it "wee-yums" these days?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Actually, Mal, Here in this part of the deep south.
I rarely hear the "L's" 'round these parts when the word is "williams", be it the road or a person's name. Few folks 'round here have ever bought fine optics components from them tho...
Brent