Probation Officer Killed During Training

federali

As Deaf Smith stated, a common denominator in shooting accidents during tactical training involves an instructor loading up to leave the training facility, then forgetting to unload upon returning. It's inexcusable. First, someone should have checked weapons at the resumption of training. Second, in many academies, they no longer use any firearms capable of firing live ammunition whenever others are playacting the bad guys. Entry exercises with stationary targets is usually a live fire exercise. Decision/reaction training against fellow officers should only be done with training guns, never duty guns.

armoredman

Our training is as follows - retention and other training uses a red plastic training gun.
Function training prior to range use -live firearms with training ammunition in the classroom, (no personal firearms/ammunition allowed on complex, much less in the class room), brass cases with bright orange plastic "bullets". Instructors watch you load and unload magazines with the orange ammo they give you.
Live fire - ammo is handed to you at the range, 56 rounds, load three mags and keep six in your pocket, that's all you get for this year! Sidearm is UNLOADED off the line, only rangemasters have loaded sidearms.
BTW, you lose track of a round, we WILL spend ALL day looking for it.

Deaf Smith

Second, in many academies, they no longer use any firearms capable of firing live ammunition whenever others are playacting the bad guys.

And to me that is the ONLY way to train in FOF federali.

These 'Red' or 'Blue' guns do fine. Or you can order an all aluminium look-alike (I have one that mimics my Glock 26 and another that mimics my J .38s.) These aluminium guns are made for holster makers but you can order them, as I have done,over the Internet.

They are great for practising drawing, pivots, 'stepping off the x', weak hand draws, etc.. all from concealment and at full speed. If they fall, no biggie. If you touch the trigger (still a no-no), it is no biggie.

I do this in the office here at home while my wife watches HGTV! As a result I'm quite good with either left or right hand and it shows when I go to the range.

I very strongly recommend dummy guns for alot of your gunhandling skills.

Deaf

NWGlocker

Anywhere else on these forums, when some one gets shot, or carelessly discharges a firearm, it is immediately labeled correctly: NEGLIGENT discharge.

Accidental... You guys are losing your focus.

I wanted to mention that but I didn't think that being such a noob here, it was my place to do so. Thanks for mentioning. :D

youngunz4life

you are correct, but the incident was ruled an accident(for legal purposes anyways)...that's why he isn't being charged + he fired the weapon on purpose

TylerD45ACP

I agree as well about it being a ND, not an AD. There is no such thing, if the gun goes off when you did not intend it to you did something wrong. The Neglient Discharge is the appropriate term.