Primary Home Defense Weapon

What's your primary home defense weapon?

• Revolver

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • Semi-Auto Handgun

Votes: 55 40.7%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Rifle

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Claymore

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glenn E. Meyer

I have a Claymore t-shirt from a Scoth distillery in Scotland. If I wear that to bed, does it count as a HD weapon or should I play my tape of a Shotgun racking.

On the other - AR-15 and Glock 19 as primaries. Backup - Winchester 1300 with tac 00, then a 1911 and then USS Enterprise via communicator. :D

Rich Miranda

I keep combat size semi auto. It used to be a shotgun but the last time I moved I lost a good hiding place for it. If I keep moving I may have to resort to throwing rocks at them.

AZAK

Just ask the bears

Well since I live in Alaska, and some people just seem to want to continue on and on and on with never ending bear threads:

Forget the dogs, someone would have to get past the really grouchy, really big, really hungry bears that are just beginning to think about coming out of hibernation really soon!

And as bears are not true hibernators, even during the dead of Winter, "Are you feeling lucky..."

And as true believers in, "Supporting your right to arm bears" the bears around here are a bit more dangerous; they tend to use whatever smaller caliber handguns that they "pick up" on the trail.

So to get a straight answer to the OPs question, I would direct you to the neighborhood watch bears outside my door. By the looks of the threads here, I would guess a bunch of .357s and 9mm, with the occasional .45 and .40.

(And you were wondering where all of the ammo went! Now you know. Lotta bears in Alaska and they all stocked up before hibernation; and here you thought that it was a political thing.)

chemgirlie

Forget the dogs, someone would have to get past the really grouchy, really big, really hungry bears that are just beginning to think about coming out of hibernation really soon!
Ah, the right to "bear arms"
bustedtees.ef270fa215d10509c3fd5a7396959940.gif

woad_yurt

An old, roughed-up Model 10!

I have others (semis and revolvers) that lay down way more firepower but I can almost shoot this one in a coma.

BuckHammer

You forgot to put an option for shouting, or harsh language.:D

My primary is a "plain Jane" Mossberg 500. My secondary is a Glock 21 with Trijicon night sights. The Glock becomes my primary during and around deer season, while the Mossberg will be wearing a rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. Although the slugs would bring quite the hurt, I feel that it would be just slightly too slow to acquire target and aim with the scope.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, 00 Buck for the Mossberg.

Last edited:

4INCHSMITH

I keep my Beretta 96 next to the bed (its beat up but works EVERY time), but my primary is my Maverick 88 with a 7-shot magazine with a mix of 00, #1 and #4 buck.

ibe4buckshot

The first weapon Im going to grab would be my remington 870 express 18 inch cyl barrel, no choke with magezine extension. I keep it loaded with Winchester 2 3/4 inch baby magnum #4 buckshot loads. On the side saddle I have three rounds of Remington 3 inch magnum loads 00 buckshot, And 2 rifled slugs just incase my target gets to far away for buckshot to be effective.

The second choice I would take would be my Glock 32 chambered in 357 sig.

The Great Mahoo

My HD guns are simply my carry guns. I have a Glock 36 and Taurus 651 in my quick-access safe in my bedroom, along with their holsters and 2 reloads each. I guess it'd be one or both of them.

Maybe I should move my shotgun to my bedroom.....

doh_312

I keep a semi-auto next to me at night. Shotgun in closet for the wife, and my shotgun is placed where I plan on hunkering in and waiting to the Po-po. Initially I'll grab the pistol, because it is manuverability far out performs a cumbersome shotgun. However, should there be a need to hunker in for back-up, the shotgun is ready to go. Not to mention the wife gets her shotgun and she'll watch my back.