Primary Home Defense Weapon

What's your primary home defense weapon?

• Revolver

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • Semi-Auto Handgun

Votes: 55 40.7%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Rifle

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Claymore

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scorpion_tyr

What's your primary home defense weapon?

Primary meaning the one you are most likely to go to or the only one you have for when things go bump in the night.

georgiaboy47

Because I live in the barracks, I can't have a handgun there, but when I move out into town, I will have a semi-auto. Either a Springfield XD or XD M.

scorpion_tyr

I know the situation, I was once there myself, and it's unfortunate. Living in a gated community where the gaurds have machine guns and assault rifles is nice though :D

golfnutrlv

My primary HD pistol is my Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. I also have a Glock that could be a backup, and is my normal carry gun.

I do have a 20 Gague Wnchester Model 1912, but I don't consider it a HD gun right now. (I need practice with it) but soon, it will be in the list of eligible HD guns.

JohnBrowningIII

Ruger Super RedHawk in 44 Mag. At close range ie in the home it has more then enough stopping power. To get any deadlier I would have to step up to a shotgun or to one of the new super magnums which is hard to find ammo for. When I bought this 15 years ago even KMart stocked Ammo for it so it was a no brainer. I almost went with a S&W in .41 Magnum from their custom shopand I looked at a 454 and a Magnum Research BRF in 45/70. Then I decided since I was still in college that I did not have the time to reload so I ended up with the 44 Mag. Love it. I went with the 9.5 inch barrel with the intentions of putting a scope on it and takeing it hunting. My wife shoots it with me from time to time. I have two shotguns one is for deer and is set up for slugs and has a scope the other is a 32 inch vent rib 835 Ultimag Mossberg and is set up for wetlands water foul. You could not pay me to go from my Ruger Super RedHawk back to a shotgun for home deffense. A magnum pistol does what you really want it to do and it does it in tight places and swings well. Any pistol or revolver will do really but I wanted something that would create as much wound damage as I could find localy. I wanted to aproxamate what a shotgun does to human flesh. So it was no accident that my home deefense revolver was purchased to use for hunting as well. If it will stop a deer or a wild boar it will stop a home invader.

I really have some issues with current NFA rules in some reguards so I just use a pistol. In my mind a shotgun would be great if it 10-12 inch barrel and a rotary drum magazine say 20 rounds with a fixed full length stock no cheesy folding stock's. Collapsable stock would be good though like an M4 carbine style. This would make a great home deffense gun but by the time you make it legal and give it a 16.5 inch barrel or longer you really lose the quick snappy easy to point type of setup so you might as well go back to the pistol or revolver. I use speed loaders so for me firpower in a package that is easy to handle,point and aim is more important then anything else.

If anyone has not tried it I would highly recomend that you with an unloaded shotgun have the wife wake you up in the middle of the night and try to make it through your house inthe dark with your shotgun with out banging into anything and everything. It is harder then it sounds. I once had to use the butt of my shotgun to repell rioting crowd from across the street. When I was in college I lived directly across from a bar/dance club. Their was a riot and spilled over into my apartment complex. Rioter kicked in my door and one smack tothe head followed by the barrel pointing their way was enough to get them to leave. I had to put a chair under the door. It took the police 2 hours and 45 minutes to show up after Ihad called 911 twice. I could toss a frisby off the roof of my apartment complex and have it land at the front door's of the police station. So it was not like I was on the outskirts of the city I was on the mag road.

I remeber thinking then how hard it was for me to wield that shotgun around in the confines of that narrow mud room by the front door. That changed my mind about the practical applications of shotgun's in tight urban environments!

SteveRick

^^^^^
First, a shotgun is an incredibly powerful HD weapon.

Second, it exceeds the 44 magnum when loaded with buckshot any higher than #1, not to mention 1oz slugs

Thirdly, the shotgun really isn't meant for searching through your house. Its truly devastating when used in a locked down position, preferably behind cover.

Kreyzhorse

How about all of the above? My primary is my 1911 semi auto. My wife has taken to keeping a revolver handy at night. I also have a shotgun ready to rip in another part of the house.

No claymore, but my SKS could be loaded rather quickly if assaulted by Mall or Swimming Pool Ninjas. :)

overkill556x45

S&W M&P9 with 124gr HP ammo. Used to be a Glock 17 on the nightstand,but next week it is being replaced by an Armalite AR-24 (also 9mm).

I'm an apartment dweller, so shoot-through is a concern. Burglaries in the area (though very rare) often involve two or three men. That makes capacity a concern.

Used to have a Benelli Nova 12ga slug gun converted to mall ninja tactical (+2 magazine tube, painted sights) in the closet just in case . I leave it with my mom now. Anybody breaking in will be chased off by a woman in her late 50s with a LOT of 12 pellet 00 buckshot on deck!

Smith & Wesson Model 3000 12-gauge with an 18.5" cruiser barrel. Former police shotgun.

I keep a revolver in my nightstand, but I don't consider it to be primary HD.

shortwave

My handguns are in place as to buy me time to get me to primary H/D weapon`s which would be either of two Rem 1100 12 ga. shotguns.

levrluvr

Depends on what part of the house I'm in ;) I have given myself a few options.
About 6 hours of the day is in the bedroom, so that percentage is a shotgun.

Evan Thomas

Shotgun. Nuthin' fancy, a Mossberg 500 Youth model, 12 gauge, with the 24" barrel. I wouldn't mind getting a shorter barrel for it, but it seems fine as is, given that I don't plan on trying to "clear the house" or have similar adventures with it -- just hole up in the bedroom behind the best cover I can manage, with the police on the way...

B.N.Real

1.Smith Model 10 loaded with +P's.

2.Taurus Ultralight loaded with +P's.

3.But I am soon to have two Ruger P95's loaded with two fifteen round mags of 115 grn +P hollowpoints to help that Smith do it's job.

Ain't America grand?:D

But the burgular would have to get around our two attack dogs first.

A 4 pound and a 8 pound Pomerainian.

Their VICIOUS! :)