Pressed Checkering Full of Paint - Iron it out, Sand it off, or Both?

How should I proceed?

• Sand it! The finish won't show the compressed areas.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iron it! The checkering will come right out, and let you strip the paint.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Iron it, and sand it! Ironing helps, but you'll still have to sand.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other: Please explain.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

FrankenMauser

Frankenmauser Scorch is the telling the gospell here, you can even "toothbrush the checkering once every30mins or so and the Citri-Strip will clean it out,...... just back off on the harshness dude!!!

That stock is about 12 hours from getting its final coat of Formby's Matte Tung Oil finish. It's baby-bottom smooth, and pretty much finished.

It's a bit too late, now.

...And the harshness didn't hurt it. ;)

FrankenMauser

This post used to read:
FrankenMauser said:
orionengnr said:
Please post pics when you are done.

I swear... I'll get some. The camera just never seems to be around, when I'm working on it.

It's been raining here, since yesterday afternoon. Once the wet weather passes, I'll get started with the Formby's.

However, I remembered I had some in-progress pics on my phone, and grabbed the camera for the "current condition" photo. As we all know... photographs always make the flaws stand out. The left hand side of the stock had some issues show up in the photos (sand marks and uneven finish), that I hadn't noticed before. I'll have to give a little more attention to the wrist and cheek piece, before the final coat.

In progress, crappy cell phone pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mossberg1.jpg
    Mossberg1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 752
  • Mossberg2.jpg
    Mossberg2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 742
  • Mossberg3.jpg
    Mossberg3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:

orionengnr

No worries--I am subscribed.
I hope to try a rifle stock refinishing one day...and every little bit of inspiration helps.

FrankenMauser

attachment.php

Current condition:
Dark background with post-production color adjustment brings out the detail:
attachment.php

Neutral grey poster board kills the detail, but shows truer color:
attachment.php

The "white specks" in the wrist checkering are just reflections. I'm hoping the Formby's will tone down the shine.

The fore end checkering does not exist. The eye sees it, but the hand can't feel it. Ghost Checkering. ;)

It's no show piece, but I like how it turned out. I just wish it had been inletted a little better, at the factory. All this work... and the action, barrel, and floor plate still fit like a square peg in a (slightly better looking) round hole.

Attachments

• Mossberg4.jpg
    Mossberg4.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Mossberg5.jpg
    Mossberg5.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Mossberg6.jpg
    Mossberg6.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

FrankenMauser

That's just weird.

They were uploaded to TFL. My computer shows them as being hosted by TFL. I can clear my cache, and still view them on TFL... Yet, they still weren't showing for any TFL member, but me.

...Fixed the photos.

FrankenMauser

...Done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lots of clean up.
$30 scope. $10 rings. The old rings were thoroughly thrashed, and the old scope took a nosedive onto concrete... :rolleyes:

Final finish was Fromby's Matte Tung Oil Finish.

Okay... it's not quite done. I still need to have the trophy shop down the street cut a grip cap medallion. The old "medallion" was adhesive-backed foil. It did not survive well, with 36 years of abuse. ;)

Attachments

• 234_A_compare.jpg
    234_A_compare.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 3,089
  • 243_B_compare.jpg
    243_B_compare.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,086