Predatory Violence: How prepared are you in a close-quarter confrontation?

JERRYS.

it stands for: strategic - self defense - grappling and gunfighting - tactics.

I agree that grappling and ground based fighting is critical for any realistic self defense system. I greatly benefitted from LAPD-ARCON which was widely taught back in the 90s.
the emphasis is on the grappling, not firearms. in order to be able to use your gun you have to be able to access it and have room to deploy it. escaping or better yet preventing getting into a headlock, bear hug or being put on the ground is essential. however, as most things in life a fight usually ends up in some sort of clinch and goes to the ground. this is where you have to be able to escape from or control your opponent.

you'd be surprised how little strength is needed for some of this stuff as it is based on leverage and technique. Don't get me wrong, strength and weight/size are an advantage but without skill are easily used against you.

disengage and either run or fight, it all depends upon what your assailant does next. of course, this is all based on the assumption of somebody trying to physically overpower you, although there are some basic edged weapons defenses that are part of this training as well.

Sharkbite

you'd be surprised how little strength is needed for some of this stuff as it is based on leverage and technique. Don't get me wrong, strength and weight/size are an advantage but without skill are easily used against you.

That is a BJJ guy right there:D

Mannlicher

and yet time after time, the news reports of everyday folks surviving close quarter attacks do not mention that they used special weapons, special tactics, had received special training. What they did have though was the ability and willingness to engage.

Sharkbite

and yet time after time, the news reports of everyday folks surviving close quarter attacks do not mention that they used special weapons, special tactics, had received special training. What they did have though was the ability and willingness to engage.

Luck plays a part in every encounter. Sometimes its good luck, sometimes its bad.

Luck is not a strategy. Training and preparation are the key to turning bad luck into good luck

FireForged

ability and willingness is about all anyone needs to get themselves in trouble.

I am not sure why news reporters would be reporting on the narrow/specific nuances of a fight, that's not what gets the ratings. I am also not sure why anyone in a fight would be telling a reporter that they have "special training" or used special weapons.

"This is action news XYZ123 reporting on a local mans altercation which included the use of a gooseneck- come-a-long followed by a flying guard. The victim Jon Q public was reported to have said that he was saved by Katame-Waza techniques." LOL

Just speaking for myself I don't use news reports as the basis to form my opinions or consideration regarding self defense, I use personal life experience.

Last edited:

armednfree

I've defended myself from predatory like close in attacks many times. I had nothing but whatever was in my hand. I have faced shanks and locks in a sock.

How did I do that? I made distance, sometimes with a stun shot to distract him for a second and others I just got away from him. And I stayed the hell away from him.

I'd rather run like a little girl as have my name on some plaque trying to play tough guy hero.