Predators & Pests

Pahoo

They use to hang horse thieves. !!

As I've posted before, nothing has a right to live forever and there should be a reason for killing any animal. To me, it falls into two catagories; Hunting for food or killing for a conservation effort. Predators fall under the latter. One example the Controlled hunts we have in Iowa to reduce the Whitetail deer population. In my book, these are not really hunts but a conservation efforts even though most of the meat is donated. Same goes for Coyotes, Ferral cats and dogs. Now, in Iowa, you are suppose to shoot any feral hogs. I don't know how they would enforce that but hunters will comply. There are a few and again, it's a conservation effort. As far as I'm concerned, killing to protect livestock, has always been accepted and yes, ethical. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

For me, hunting is for food and recreation within local laws. If I (or a family member/friend) won't eat it, I don't shoot it.

Any other type of firearms discharge at an animal isn't hunting to me.

So we are back to the George Carlin analogy that anyone that drives faster than you is an idiot and anyone who drives slower is a moron. In other words, if it doesn't fit what you like, it isn't right.

But this isn't about the issue of whether or not it is hunting, but whether or not it is okay to kill animals preying upon your livestock. You don't think that is right. However, I am sure you are more than willing to kill rats, mice, insects, and other invertebrates that invade your home or place of business, or probably more correctly, have a service do it for you. Why would that be okay to protect your real property from pests but not your other property such as livestock?

I find it odd that you are against killing to protect livestock, but you are more than content to kill for recreational purposes. Strange ethics.

hooligan1

I kind of wonder if a, say a mountain lion sneaks up on twins little kids while playing in the yard,,, no that's not even close how about twins garden gets over run by rabbits,,, uh no maybe a giant rat steals all his twins munchies from the pantry,,,, I'm just saying,,,,,:p:p Honestly the farmer has enough pain, and when a late night feeding, or killing binge of a mountian lion costs him a months wages then hell yes shoot some predators, farming put close on my mothers familie's back for over one hundred years Two generations!!;)

Rob96

Any other type of firearms discharge at an animal isn't hunting to me. It's just plain shooting to kill an animal to serve the shooter's purpose (self/business/property protection or whatever it may be).

Humans are animals. Burglars, rapists, murders are predators. So by your logic you would not shoot at an attacker that has entered your home. Remember you stated , "to serve the shooter's purpose (self/business/property protection or whatever it may be"

They have been attempting coyote redication for years and it will never happen. Coyotes are now getting to the point where they are entering cities and such. The only natural predator of the coyote are humans, so it is part of nature controlling a population.

rickyrick

For the most part, predator control by the farmer and his agent is exempt from hunting regulations here in Texas.
in my experience, coyotes cause the least amount of damage of the predators. They do kill and take animals, but the bobcats, pigs, raccoons and feral dogs cause more trouble...
If i keep the varmint pile full of pigs, the coyotes tend to leave the live animals alone...so for now I leave the coyotes alone to clean up the pig carcasses.

Lee Lapin

For some folks, shooting predators isn't hunting, it's just one more kind of work. Sort of like plowing weeds out of a field of crops. When I was growing up (back in BC, or before coyotes), every farm truck you saw had an old single shot .22 or a beat up single barrel shotgun in it. After coyotes arrived, the cattlemen all wound up with their deer rifles in the gun rack year round.

lpl

Discern

twins,

You will care as more and more farm land, ranches and livestock operations are owned by large corporate farms. Yep, OPEC for food.