precision rifle opinions wanted

2wheelwander

I'm in the market for a precision rifle very soon. .308/7.62x51 only (I reload). With todays ammo market I've less than zero desire to start another caliber so please keep that in mind. Prefer a bolt action. Adjustable stock, Sniper/counter sniper type set up.

Friend let me shoot his Sig SSG 3000 and I fell in love with the gun. The precision of the bolt, the quality, it spoke to me. Shot a Ruger Precision right next to it and while it was as accurate, it was like comparing a Chevy to a Mercedes.

I can find the SSG from time to time (current one on GB for $3.5k), but wanted some knowledgeable input. Figured there are other comparable and perhaps more capable rifles out there than the SSG. Which is getting harder and harder to find.

Won't be a hunting rifle but a bench shooter/range toy. I don't care if it is in current production or ceased 20 years ago, so long as I can find one and not get run through the furnace (relatively speaking). Looking for a modern chassis. LE/military sniper type set up. I don't care if it was ever used by the military, but you get what I'm saying. I'd like to keep it around $3k for the rifle alone.

What matters as much as accuracy is the feel of the rifle. The smoothness of the bolt. That near perfect trigger. Balance. Not tacticool, but purpose built. I want to smile when I pick it up. As much of a performance bargain as the Ruger is, I want more than that and am willing to spend more.

So, I'm not near as familiar with this type of rifle as I am other types of firearms and need to mine the knowledge here. TIA

Last edited:

2wheelwander

I'd prefer to spend $3k or less, plus scope. Won't spend more than $3500

While much less than I mentioned, looking at the Tikka T3 tac a1. Though I've never handled one.

Also looking at Desert Tech

std7mag

There is a big difference between what your describing and a true "precision" rifle.

For your budget, you can buy a good used bench rest rifle, that could possibly serve double duty for something like F-Class shooting also.

stagpanther

MO on what's most important--get a top tier barrel--throwing all the money you can at anything less will never make it shoot any better.

taylorce1

You could possibly find a used Sako TRG .308 in your budget, and still have money left for optics. A new one will max out your budget just for the rifle.

Bart B.

Would be nice if reviews of detachable box magazine rifles included tests to see if sight zeros didn't change across several magazines.

zeke

Bought a ssg 3000 as they were closing them out. Extremely accurate rifle, smooth bolt, adj lop through stock spacers. Biggest advantage for my own use was the longer action and mag length which allows seating the new Sierra 168/175 tmks out so as not to lose any powder space. Rifle was affordable at the time, but missed walmarts super cheap blow out sale.

Mags (unique single stacks) became unobtanium, but now after market 10 rounders and 5 rounders appear to be available. Mags are expensive, over $100 according to quick search. Chamber is fairly tight. Accuracy seems to degrade slightly after 30 rounds, although that could be me.

Also have the Ruger Precision in 308. As you described, but the accuracy improved after removing the muzzle device, recutting crown and replacing with a different brake. Am suspicious of the barrel's profile for the length.

Might consider asking those with experience about Bergara's/Howa's.

Been awhile since i shopped for new rifle, but seems like accuracy is less expensive now adays.

I bought a KRG 1500 in 6.5Creedmoor and had my gunsmith punch it out to a 6.5-284Norma. Total cost was under $1,200. The rifle came from Legacy Sports International. They have other rifles in .308Win that could fit the bill and they have a sub MOA guarantee.

That leaves you with $2,300+ left over to buy a really nice scope and still stay within your budget.

MarkCO

I'd get a Bergara Premier. Last 4 rifles I have bought have been Bergaras. Very good quality on the R700 footprint. The company history is solid and their customer service is excellent.

stagpanther

I'd get a Bergara Premier. Last 4 rifles I have bought have been Bergaras. Very good quality on the R700 footprint. The company history is solid and their customer service is excellent.
Speaking of which--did that custom action you ordered ever come in?

BornFighting88

Those Tikka LRP things are very good looking, OP, and I have handled and used Tikka T3 Lite’s before, and the action is smoother than glass. I don’t know how they do it, no binding, nothing!!! All the ones I have used have been in 7mm-08, so I can safely say that if you pick up that Tikka thing, it won’t punish you from shot to shot, and it is a fine rifle.

Kimber cranked out an 84 series Long Range Hunter, and I think Ruger made a Hawkeye or 77 in the long range thing.

Bergara, I have also heard great things. I think you will like them, too.

Txhillbilly

For $3k, I'd just build a custom rifle and be done with it. You'll get a great working smooth action, be able to get the stock / chassis that you want, and have plenty of choices of great custom barrels.

I've built 3 full custom rifles using ARC Nucleus action's, and a Shilen DGR action, along with about a dozen semi-custom's using Savage action's. I wouldn't waste my time buying a factory rifle.

Shilen DGR LH action, Shilen Select Match 6.5 CM barrel, KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, Trigger Tech Special trigger (hadn't arrived when pic was taken). $3000 +/-
D4YGd06.jpg

ARC Nucleus Gen 1 LH action, ARC Barlok barrel nut, X-Caliber 22 CM barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger. $2100 +/-
MZkFqJE.jpg

ARC Nucleus Gen 2 LH action, Rock Creek shouldered 223 barrel from PVA, KRG Bravo chassis, Trigger Tech Special trigger (hadn't arrived when pic was taken) $2300 +/-
gwvNRAt.jpg

My problem is I can't stand cheap optics, so I end up spending more on my scopes than I do on the rifles.

2wheelwander

Thanks for the recommendations. Loked for an FN and there are currently 2 on GB. One is a 300 Win Mag. The other is almost $1k over retail. Found a video on this gun and the posters comment was that he achieved 1/4 MOA with his.