PPK vs. .32 Tomcat

shurshot

Never shot a Tomcat, but I have owned a PPK/S in .380 for 10 years. Prior to this, I had a .32 PPK pre-68 (I SHOULD have kept this one...AARGGGgggg!)back in 1990. Like a fool, I traded it towards an HK Assault rifle. My current PPK/S is an AWESOME weapon, accurate, reliable, handy, compact, superb quality. Walther PPK has been around for over 75 years. I can't knock the Tomcat as I never shot it, but the previous posts are worth thinking about pertaining to the Tomcat. All I can tell you is my PPK/S is an awesome all around weapon for self defense, trail use, target practice, etc. And if I ever can find my old pre-68 .32 PPK I used to own, or a similar one in .32ACP, I'm buying it, no matter the price!

Tom2

In any case, you may get/probably will get tired of either gun. Then the Walther has the edge in resale. I don't know about the problems with the Beretta, but if you shoot the Walther very much, you will get tired of your hand getting bit by the moving parts. You will probably eventually move onto something like a Bersa, a Sig 230, or a small Colt 380. I find a gun that bites the hand that feeds it, gets to be too much of a distraction from practice and accuracy, so even though I have had some of the Walthers, and other neat pistols that were cool but bite, I never kept them too long and got something better as far as being useful to bleeding the "target" and not me. I would stick to the Berettas that are like the slightly larger DA 380's which have a fine rep. Or the single stack 380 version, for a flatter gun.

Bill DeShivs

I have an early Tomcat, with the thin slide. I haven't shot it much-probably 300 rounds. It has worked exceptionally well, except the grips fell apart when I picked it up one day. I emailed Beretta about this, but they didn't bother to answer. I think the Tomcat is really pushing the limit of the 950 platform. It was introduced while the Seecamp .32 was the "hot" item. The "widebody" models have a slide that is ridiculously thick. I don't understand about the D/A trigger pull that some complain about. Mine is fine, and my wife has no problem with it. I, too like it's "chunky" feel, it's accurate, and reliable.
The Walther pistols are nice guns, but the design has been surpassed by many of the newer guns. The PPK is the only one I would consider a pocket pistol. Walthers are expensive.
I prefer the Keltec. The thin grip takes some getting used to, but it sure conceals well.
Bill

Webleymkv

Walthers made by or for Smith& Wesson have had the problem of the inertia firing pin could fly forward with a jolted gun and fired problem corrected.Earlier Walthers have this problem. Has been documented well in a number of police and special weapons magazines and books.

This was only a problem if the safety was not engaged. The safety on my 1967 manufacture PP not only prevents the hammer from impacting the firing pin, but also blocks the foreward movement of the firing pin. I, personally, like Walther products, so the PPK would get my vote. I can't say about new ones, but my 7.65mm (.32ACP) model seems to like the hotter European ammo (i.e. S&B or Fiocchi) although it seems to do fine with Winchester Silvertips. For a .380 model, you may try Federal Hydra-Shoks, although in small calibers there are merits to FMJ.

Snow Fox

I'm a big fan of italian guns and Beretta's in particular but in that match up- money has to go to the Walther. it's longer barrel has the edge in accuracy.

OldShooter

PPK vs Tomcat

I can't tell you what to do. I have no experience with a PPK but I have read that they bite the hand that holds them. I bought a Tomcat for the girlfriend. After less than 200 rounds it began to have serious problems, jamming. The slide would come off track during recoil and get seriously jammed. Not a very good defensive weapon. I sent it back and gave her my Bersa Thunder .380. No problems with that one.

Carlo

If you really want a robust .32, there is the Beretta model 70. It is a bit heavy for a pocket pistol, but very reliable in my experience (far more so, in fact, than most .32 of any make and model I've seen).

Carlo

OldShooter

I carry a CZ70, a little heavy, all steel but reliable and concealable. The Colt 1903 is a good shooter but a little rare these days.

I have a couple other guns manufactured by Beretta and they are fabulous. The Tomcat took me by surprise, it didn't hold up.

Snow Fox

I suspect that the Tomcat is flawed- and I'm a big beretta fan so it pains me to say so- it looks almost identical to the .25 bobcat, which I have and am very happy with. My guess is they were having toruble marketing the .25 as a hold out with many people thinking just caliber instead of accuracy etc. So, and I'm just guessing here, increased the size of the bullet without substancial increases to the weapon. that would explain all the reports of the heavier gun cracking without any corresponding reports of the .25 (whose most annoying tendency is to eject straight back. Usually the brass goes over my head, occassionally bouncing off my head and once in my cleavage.)

flusher

Fiocchi 380 all the
Img0302.jpg