Powder scale recommendations please.

alanwk

I am looking to buy a digital scale and would appreciate your comments and suggestions. I had a scale but it would not register 7gr. Too light. Thanks
Lets NOT break the bank. :p

nhyrum

For a digital scale that won't break the bank, there's a few options.

My number one would be an a&d fx120i. Pricy, yes but well worth it. without getting too much into it, it's inner workings/weighing mechanism is far more accurate and precise than just about every other digital reloading scale. You then have the option of getting the auto trickler stuff for it later(I have it, and my goodness is it a game changer)

Next in line, I've heard good things about the gempro scales, i believe the 250 is what a lot of people often recommend.

After that, I'd say just get San rcbs chargemaster

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

hounddawg

Pick a price, I own 3 of these from the 20 dollar one to the 470 dollar. I can put a 10 gram weight on any and all measure within .01 grams. The least expensive two have their limitations but they work. Te A&D 120 of course is the best and the only one that will work with a Autothrow if you ever decide you want one

$20 https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-...ocphy=9010538&hvtargid=pla-304071963067&psc=1

$110 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083NPTMF...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

$155 https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/...bG0GmiN_YHhLDG8wDwDv7zmXz9LbPMZhoC00kQAvD_BwE

$400 https://ceproducts.shop/collections...ge-22g-x-0-0002g-52g-x-0-001g-reloading-scale

$ 470 https://ceproducts.shop/collections/reloading-systems/products/fx-120i-reloading-scale-122g-x-0-001g

Last edited:

Geezerbiker

At the recommendation of someone on this list, I bought the first scale on the above list and I'm very impressed with it. I bought it originally to supplement my RCBS balance beam scale but I go with the digital scale first off now. It's hard to go wrong with this one...

Tony

cdoc42

I have a RCBS digital powder scale that is used alone, or with the RCBS "Charge Master" Electronic powder dispenser. They are both over 30 years old and the digital scale truly is sensitive to 0.1gr, but you have to give it a short bit of time to "think" when you trickle charges at the very end of the desired weight.

I also have a PACT digital scale that is grey instead of RCBS green, and I believe PACT makes the scale for RCBS.

You might want to check out the PACT products as RCBS doesn't list the scale I have:

$129.95: https://pact.com/product/digital-precision-powder-scale-w-ir-port/

AlaBusa

I get singke digit es and SD #s with my Lyman Gen6. It has proven to be moa capable out to 1760 if indo my part. My next upgrade will be a Auto Throw but right now, I can't justify the added cost.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

DaleA

Digital scales...eh.

A few years ago I got a digital scale, about $25, and since I was on vacation and couldn't reload I took a half dozen coins, marked them with a sharpie and then weighed them each two or three times a day for four or five days.

Not too scientific but I was not impressed with the results and have not used it for reloading.

Your mileage may vary but I still use the 5-0-5 balance scale.

Good luck.

nhyrum

Digital scales...eh.

A few years ago I got a digital scale, about $25, and since I was on vacation and couldn't reload I took a half dozen coins, marked them with a sharpie and then weighed them each two or three times a day for four or five days.

Not too scientific but I was not impressed with the results and have not used it for reloading.

Good luck.
That's one of the big problems with strain gauge scales.

If you really want to use a digital scale, you'll need an analytical grade balance

cdoc42

My two previously-mentioned digital scales accurately display the weights from my pharmaceutical-grade metric and apothecary sets.

nhyrum

My two previously-mentioned digital scales accurately display the weights from my pharmaceutical-grade metric and apothecary sets.
That's another key. Using any scale, you really should be using verified check weights, before every season. If the scale passes, then it doesn't matter if it's a 10 dollar scale or a thousand dollar certified and certified balance. The trouble comes mostly with the differences in the inner workings. Most digital scales are strain gauge scales, which the sensors are very prone to drift with temperature changes. The manufacturer knows this and they're literally programmed to write off light and slow weight changes as drift. The more expensive balances use magnetic force restoration, which isn't as prone to drift, but they're extremely sensitive. The last scale mentioned above, for $470, will accurately and precisely measure to .02 of a grain using grains, or .015 using grams. Pair that stuff the auto trickler and auto throw and I can throw a 95.0 grain charge +0.00/-.02 faster than I can turn around and seat a bullet after putting the cup back on. The kit costs a pretty penny and your first born, but it's worth it, especially if you're after perfection and something you can trust all the time. But I realize that not everyone needs that and/or can justify the cost.

Anyway, I really don't mean to constantly shrill that kit. It's just one of those things I found my self saying I should have gotten it a long time ago. I know there are good digital scales to be had for far less, and they work, and work well

hounddawg

That's another key. Using any scale, you really should be using verified check weights, before every season[

you don't need verified check weights for reloading. When weighing a powder charge what you are concerned with is precision, not accuracy. What you want is for the scale to read the same every time you put the check weight on it. Take certified, verified 10 gram check weight. put it on your scale and it reads 9.998 grams as long as that scale always reads 9.998 grams you are good to go.

Amazes me how many on a shooting forum confuse accuracy and precision. Just for the record I can go fire up the $20 scale Il isted above and put my non verified 10 gram weight on it and it will read 9.998 grams, has done it for years. I put the same weight on my A&D 120 fx and it reads 9.999 grams. Does not bother me in the least, I load plus or minus .02 grains for shooting out to 1000 yards. I can't tell the difference with rounds loaded on either scale

nhyrum

you don't need verified check weights for reloading. When weighing a powder charge what you are concerned with is precision, not accuracy. What you want is for the scale to read the same every time you put the check weight on it. Take certified, verified 10 gram check weight. put it on your scale and it reads 9.998 grams as long as that scale always reads 9.998 grams you are good to go.

Amazes me how many on a shooting forum confuse accuracy and precision. Just for the record I can go fire up the $20 scale Il isted above and put my non verified 10 gram weight on it and it will read 9.998 grams, has done it for years. I put the same weight on my A&D 120 fx and it reads 9.999 grams. Does not bother me in the least, I load plus or minus .02 grains for shooting out to 1000 yards. I can't tell the difference with rounds loaded on either scale
Correct. I did say verified, not certified. By that I meant just checked against what they normally weigh on your balance. If it should be 500 grams, but consistently comes up as 498, as long as it's always the same, that's all that matters.

pathdoc

Digital scales...eh.

Good luck.

Yeah, I have one of the little Frankford Arsenal scales and I don't like the variance in results I get when throwing the same charge back onto it time after time. If I were in the field with Lee scoops and an intended rifle load two or three grains shy of max for sighting-in or plinking, I'd have no problem with it. I do not trust it with pistol loads at all.

hounddawg

I did say verified, not certified. By that I meant just checked against what they normally weigh on your balance.

my apologies, I misunderstood. I like to check my scales with 10.0 gram weights. The reason for is that my powder pan plus normal rifle charge comes in at about 13- 14 grams. For the longest time I used a .308 case with the primer in which weighed 11.5 grams exactly as my check weight. I had my local pharmacist weigh it for me on his certified balance.

one other thing, there are mid priced scales based on the 123 board and strain gage. They are marketed by several manufacturers Tree, A and D ,Denver etc and all wil have the 123 somewhere in their name. Great scales when used in climate controlled room, however if your reloading room drops below 60F they will drift terribly. Above 60 and they are as stable as the A and D 120 but just something to be aware of.

here is a example https://gorillascales.net/milligram/203-tree-khr-123-precision-lab-balance.html

totaldla

I'm using an MTM 750gr, AAA batteries and a Lyman check weight set. About $40 for the scale and about $36 for the check weights.

Last edited:

ChasHam

Can't hardly beat my trusty old mean green RCBS balance beam.

Had it for years. Stored under a cloth cover. Accurate to a gnat's hair. Don't take no stinkin' batteries…

I had an old Olhausen balance beam. The magnets went bad, and it became obnoxiously unreliable. So, a digital scale was the first choice. After a few months the little control panel wouldn't respond to finger pressure. Long story short, it ended up in the trash. Bought a gem scale. Talk about a pita. So then, I got an RCBS balance beam. I love that scale. I check with certified RCBS test weights before each session. It is the cats meow. I don't have to put my cell phone in another room. It's easy as pie to adjust. I trust it.

cdoc42

Hounddawg, run this by me again. If I follow you correctly, precision means getting the same result on repeated attempts, right? So if your scale reveals 10Gm repeatedly with a 10 Gm weight, that is precision AND accuracy, if that weight is truly 10 Gm. But how sensitive is that scale? You are achieving precision and accuracy while weighing 154.32 grains.

You really need to know how low a weight your scale will repeatedly reveal if you are weighing charges from, say, 3 or 5 grains up to 75 or so.

I can get a weight of 1.0 grain on my RCBS digital. When I tare the scale with a powder pan to 0.0, and remove the pan, it reads -140. I return the pan, start at 0.0 and place a 0.5gr weight on it. It signals 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, jumps to 0.4 and goes to 0.0. It won't tell me that it is 0.5gr.

However, if I tare the scale to 0.0 without the powder pan and place that 0.5gr weight on it, it repeats what I just posted, but removing the weight leaves me with a reading of -0.5gr., not 0.0

Now, when I'm weighing a 40.0gr charge and I get to 39.9gr, I trickle H4350 and it may take only a single "granule" of powder to tip the reading to 40.0. Two granules and I get 40.1.

I now know my digital scale is both accurate, sensitive, and prescise.

Reloadron

Originally Posted by hounddawg:

That pretty much nailed it. While I don't have a good representation using a scale I have one using a target.
Accuracy%20and%20Precision.png

I just see Precision as a high measure of repeatability and see accuracy as unbiased precision as is shown in the above image. What I want my scales to do is repeat on each measure of the same weight. I am not as worried as much about accuracy as precision while I do want my scale to be reasonable accurate I want a high measure of repeatability.

Ron