Poor Old, Inaccurate Sigmas

kraigwy

Free2Game wrote

It just seems like junk to me personally. The trigger is one of the worst I've ever felt. It's a pre-cocked striker gun and the pull felt like it was 12 pounds. I guess it's not bad other than that, but a DA revolver trigger on SAO strike pistol is just awful. But I'm young and was never around revolvers.

Fear not Grasshopper, when you are able to snatch the pebble from my hand, you'll be ready to shoot the Sigma.

Te Anau

I've said it before,but the Sigma has an ideal trigger for CCW or home defense.I don't ever recall reading of a Sigma owner removing a chunk of their thigh like you see frequently with Glock owners.The Sigma series is easily the best value out there in a quality gun in 2010.

GONIF

S&W got slamed hard in the police and civilan market by Glock .The Sigma only made it worse .The new S&W M&P is what the Sigma should have been all along . The Sigma was one of S&W's darkest hours . IMHO the S&W M&P is better than the glock and will re establish S&W in the police market .:D

free2game

Te Anau said:
I've said this before on this forum and I'll say it again...

The Sigma has a horrible trigger - until you get used to it and until you break it in some. Then, it's surprisingly pretty durn good! The kicker is this: if you just came off of shooting another gun with a better trigger, the Sigma will feel horrible. But once you get used to it, and the gun is truly broken in, it feels just fine and accuracy is good. And for the price? $300 and a free magazine? Not bad at all.

And reliability is fine, at least in my experience.

Getting used to a bad trigger doesn't make it good. It just means you're used to it. Things are bad because they're not good relative to something else.

The sigma is not fuctionally SAO. The striker is not cocked until you pull the trigger back. It is not partialy cocked either. It is DAO.

I agree with Rich. Once you master the trigger on the sigma, it is quite accurate. It will make you a better shooter with everything else.

Lee
You still have to cock the slide back and there's no real second strike capability, I'm 99% sure it has to be pre-cocked like a Glock. Glock didn't sue them just because it was polymer and striker fired you know. All of this stuff about them being Double Action was just marketing trying to get people to switch from DA revolvers and trying to associate them with the guise of safety they offered. Here's an idea, if you want a gun to not fire, keep your finger off the trigger when you're not firing and put a manual safety on it and learn to use it.

Leejack

Getting used to a bad trigger doesn't make it good. It just means you're used to it. Things are bad because they're not good relative to something else.

By internet definition, a bad trigger means long, heavy, or both. Many people do not like the long, heavy trigger pull of the sigma; I get that. It is designed that way for safety reasons and does take some patients and good skills to master, but it doesn't make it a bad gun. If you hate the trigger, than don't buy the gun.

You still have to cock the slide back and there's no real second strike capability, I'm 99% sure it has to be pre-cocked like a Glock. Glock didn't sue them just because it was polymer and striker fired you know. All of this stuff about them being Double Action was just marketing trying to get people to switch from DA revolvers and trying to associate them with the guise of safety they offered.

Racking the slide on the sigma simply chambers a round, it does not pre cock the striker. It is not "fuctionally SAO" and it is not a "SAO strike pistol". The striker is cocked only when you pull the trigger. Not all striker fired pistols work "exactly" the same way. You are correct in that the sigma does not have second strike capability. If you have a failure to fire for some reason, you must rack the slide to eject the round and chamber another.

Rich Miranda

I have a feeling this is the first post on the 'downhill' side of this thread. Nevertheless...

In my opinion, gun triggers do improve with use, and without deliberately making modifications. The degree to which they actually improve - relative to how much 'improvement' was just the shooter getting used to the trigger - is hard to determine, however. I feel this way because my brother-in-law's Sigma's trigger did improve noticeably between different shooting sessions, and I could feel the difference even though I hadn't shot it for 300-500 rounds.

Also in my opinion, a shooter can become very proficient with a Sigma, in spite of a bad trigger. It likely will take more time, but it can be done (of course, the inverse of this is that there are people who will never master 'the world's best trigger', because they don't spend enough time on it, but I digress). So, after 500 rounds, if a shooter can hit as accurately with a Sigma as with another gun, what's the difference*?

*The difference is, of course, personal preference.

Onward Allusion

They're so bad that I got 6 of them. :)

5 of them used but they all probably had less than 1 box out of them. One of the 5 was a carry weapon used by a lady LEO in 40S&W. It is now my wife's EDC. My wife shoots 2" to 3" groups with it at 10 yards all COM.

They're reliable and the triggers don't suck as long as you know how to shoot revolvers or other heavy DAO - like a 5946 (my personal fav).

Rich Miranda
I've said this before on this forum and I'll say it again...
The Sigma has a horrible trigger - until you get used to it and until you break it in some. Then, it's surprisingly pretty durn good! The kicker is this: if you just came off of shooting another gun with a better trigger, the Sigma will feel horrible. But once you get used to it, and the gun is truly broken in, it feels just fine and accuracy is good. And for the price? $300 and a free magazine? Not bad at all.
And reliability is fine, at least in my experience.

Onward Allusion

Ya know, it is pretty refreshing to see a thread about the Sigma that isn't a bash session. I personally think they are one of the most underrated pistols out there. Them and the Ruger P series.

The heavy trigger on the Sigma will perfect the shooter's overall shooting skills. When one can shoot tight groups with a heavy trigger, then they can pretty much shoot traditional SA/DA all that much better.

YARDDOG(1)

I bougt a Allied Force 9 used for $150 ;) I CC till this day, I shoot it well & Lord forbid I have to use it I'm not out a bunch of $$. Not a hicup in 7yrs ; )
Y/D

jmr40

Early Sigma's had a reputation as a POS. Believe me they Earned that reputation by making some of the worst pistols of the time. I had one made in 1998 that had to be sent back to the factory 3 times before 35 rounds could be fired through it.

After 5 months at the factory Smith sent me one of the newer re-designed pistols. The gunshop allowed me full price that I paid on the first one to trade in the new Sigma on a Glock. I hear the new ones are more than acceptable, but just cannot bring myself to try another.

Sarge

Onward Allusion said:
Ya know, it is pretty refreshing to see a thread about the Sigma that isn't a bash session. I personally think they are one of the most underrated pistols out there. Them and the Ruger P series.

...and if that's all that comes of this, I'm happy to have started it. Sigmas kept resurfacing irregularly at the various LE quals I ran and like Beretta 92s and P85s, I can't remember the last time I saw one choke. In fact, I'm not sure I ever have.

While I am not a mod (and don't play one on TV) I do appreciate the civil discussion that's taken place here.

wnycollector

The trigger takes a little getting used to, unless you're an old DA revolver man

I fall into the above mentioned category. Both my wife and I have shot a buddies SW40VE over the years and I never had a problem with the trigger. It feels like a DA revolver.

Last edited:

T191032

Had one once.

When I've looked over the list of handguns I've owned, and that the majority have been of the DA/SA persuasion, the SW40V (older square slide model, before the redesign to "VE" status) I owned was an interesting possession. I had bought it at a gun show, out of curiousity of both the Sigma design, and the .40 S&W ammunition. Well, now that was a mistake.

I just didn't like the snappy recoil of the full-power .40 S&W ammunition. But at 5-7 yards, darned if I couldn't shoot tighter groups with it after a while than I could my DA/SA 9mm and .45s. I amounted that to the single, consistant trigger pull rather than dealing with dual weight pulls. If you're not shooting much, or certain guns are single-action only, like you .22s and air pistols, having that one, consistant trigger pull makes more sense than having to deal with a heavier pull followed up by a lighter one, IMHO. ;)

I eventually traded it off on another firearm siren (been too many of them siren songs, I have to admit), but figure that if I'd bought it in 9mm Parabellum, I'd probably still own it today (I should have kept it regardless, but oh well :eek:). It was a good pistol, I don't remember there being too many gun related problems with it. If I was smart, I'd get another one.

P-990

I've never owned or fired a Sigma, but I have to jump in about trigger whining. It's one of my pet-peeves, and I have whined about triggers before...

Should a trigger break like a glass rod and come to a dead stop? Or should it roll a little after breaking? Should there be take-up travel? It all depends! Your "good" trigger may just be useable to me and vice versa.

"Good", "bad", whatever, is all relative and depends on a shooter's skill, experience and expected use. I have a set of DA S&W revolvers and fire them almost exclusively in double-action. My autoloaders are Glocks, notorious for "bad" triggers, but I can control them from practice, practice, practice.

And I am pretty sure the standard light SA triggers on most DA revolvers is why revolvers have a reputation for being more accurate than autoloaders. The lighter trigger helps mask the poor trigger control and makes it easier for the shooter to use. (Note it doesn't do anything for the actual mechanical accuracy of the pistol.)

Sorry for the off-topic rant...

If I ever get a chance to try a Sigma at the range, I will definitely take it though.

CLC

I have a 40C and its the biggest piece of garbage. Im not sure if its its a older model but ive had nothing but trouble with it feeding. Tried to sell it at the gun shops but they only wanted to give me like $100 bucks for it so I just kept it. I keep good care of all my guns and had other people shoot it with the same problems. Would S&W fix a used gun bought used? I dont even bother shooting it anymore.

T191032

CLC,

I understand. I've never exactly made out good on any trade, except one that I've come to regret - I really miss that Ruger KGP-161 .357!!!! -so its no surprise they don't offer you much in trade for it. My 29th Edition (2008) Blue book shows a 60% 40C @ $240, just so you know.

"Would S&W fix a used gun bought used?"

I'm not sure how S&W would handle it, you'd have to contact their Customer Service and discuss the matter with them.