Poor Old, Inaccurate Sigmas

Sarge

In late 1994 I received a call to meet some other LE folks for a first look at a new pistol. A nearby purveyor of LE goods hauled in a half-dozen Sigmas along with lots of ammo & spare magazines. We proceeded to shoot up his ammo and grin a lot. After a couple of magazines I was destroying Copenhagen cans out to about 20 paces. The Sigma's trigger reminded me of that found on High Standard's 22 DA revolvers; sorta short, quick and all business. Our 'test' Sigmas chewed through nearly a case of ammo and never bobbled.

For the first time in my life, I was becoming enamored with a rubber gun. I thought the Sigma had potential, but S&W's good name was not enough to pry the LE market away from Glock. The Sigma suffered some early problems but by the time they were resolved, the die was cast. The Sigma was relegated to 'also-ran' category where it remains to this day. If you believe half the internet prattle you read about the S&W Sigma, you'd be inclined to rate them about three points above Bryco and two points under a good homemade slingshot.

Having recently handled the current iteration of the Sigma, I was anxious to see if they were as good as I remembered them. I begged and cast about for a SW40VE to try; what I came up with was this old SW40C, a short-lived compact version of the original gun. I grabbed a handful of my .40 pest load, which uses a 170 grain Missouri Bullet SWC over 4.0 grains of W231 for roughly 800 fps. I figured if it'll feed these, it would feed about anything and the SW40C didn't disappoint. It's only quirk was that it dropped brass, from the light load, right on the brim of my hat.

The old 40C didn't shoot half bad. The trigger takes a little getting used to, unless you're an old DA revolver man or PPC shooter. A straight back press results in a surprise break; done consistently it produces good results, as the cluster suggests. Do it inconsistently and you get fliers, like The Wild One at One O'clock.

SigmaC.jpg

The gun itself seems plenty accurate; I don't shoot my G23 much better, standing unsupported at 25 yards. I sure wouldn't run from a Sigma for the right price.

Last edited:

rsxr22

Sigma's are decent for some purposes. I had one for awhile and just used it as a car gun. Trigger is pretty rough but if SHTF i would not fret that i was reaching for it

MO. Shootin

Mine shot good I just did not like the trigger. It shot really good though and I don't ever remember it malfunctioning but that was a long time ago.

Sarge

I just treat them like an ugly, 14 shot DAO revolver and get along with them pretty good. The grip sure suits me better than its Austrian cousin. I believe I'm going to have to try one of the new 'VE' models as soon as I can find an all-black one at a decent price.

mellow_c

Mine is great.. Over 1500+ rounds through my 9mm, and never a problem. Rem hollow point, Winchester White box, and federal 9mm's all work fine.

The gun is as accurate as all the other plastic guns I've shot, so long as you can manage the trigger. and for a little over $300, it's a pretty good buy.

Elvishead

I put about 3000 round through my SW9VE without hardly a problem, it just didn't like Corbon's, they would hang up on the ramp.

I sold it to my brother with good faith. I bought a CZ75b but I preferred the Sigma over the CZ75 for HD because of the lightness although the CZ75 is a better range gun. I actually miss it.

Attachments

• Gun sigma ready (2).jpg
    Gun sigma ready (2).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 104

Old Timer

I have an SW9VE I bought NIB in 2005. I was switching from my S&W 686 so the long hard trigger didn't bother me. Once I mastered it I could put all 10 rounds in the 10 ring from the 15 yard line.

However, as I got a bit older and my arthritis got a bit more troublesome the long hard trigger got to be a problem after the first 50 or 60 rounds. So, I pulled the sear assembly out, polished all surfaces, and removed two of the three reset springs, greased and reassembled. Now that Sigma has one of the sweetest triggers in my gun safe. I have put over 10,000 rounds down range and, simply put, the gun is as near perfect as any firearm I have ever owned. Great ergonomics. Bullet proof reliability. Extremely accurate. And with the simple trigger mod, a joy to shoot.

What more can you ask for for $299?

kraigwy

My kid was an ICE agent, using a 40 cal. He was coming out to visit and wanted me to load up some 40 cal to play with.

I didn't have a 40 to work up loads with until I found a 40VE on Tradio (local radio want adds). Good price, in the box & papers and a couple boxes of ammo, so why not. I brought it home and was impressed. I never found the trigger objectionable (but I'm a revolver shooter). Even still, lots of shooting and dryfiring, it smoothed out pretty good.

Since then I've read about the sigma and have heard they are reliable and accurate, mine proved those rumors. Some of my cast 175 grn bullets failed to go into battery at first, but seating them a tad deeper fixed that.

Maybe I should back off on the power, because my Sigma throws brass into the next county, so to shoot mine, I have to mow the grass a good ways behind me, and have a couple grand kids as spotters for the brass.

Anyway I like mine, I tend to laugh at people who condemn the Sigma but to each his own. I don't carry it because as compact as it is, it doesn't fit in my pants pocket like my 642.

Kreyzhorse

My buddy owns a Sigma 9mm and while it certainly isn't the best gun I've ever shot, it isn't terrible. Well, the trigger is pretty terrible but I was still able to shoot it pretty well. His is also very reliable and serves his intended purpose very well; a HD gun and an occasional plinker that fit within his budget.

I wouldn't buy one, or recommend one due to the trigger, but he's happy with it.

bigmike0176

I'm glad to hear all the +'s for the sigma. I recently acquired one in 9mm, just two days ago, and am pretty happy with it so far. I do agree that trigger could be better but I got it for free so I ain't complaining.

Leejack

My advise is simple: If you want a gun with a light trigger, don't buy a sigma.

If you buy it with the notion that you're going to fix the heavy trigger pull, than go for it. Lots of information on polishing, spring changes etc. The sigma is what it is, and does a good job of it. Safe, reliable design for self defense. I've yet to find a plastic gun that feels better in my hand. Yes, that does include the M&P.

The only thing I recommend doing to the sigma, is to shoot it. Although challenging to master, the sigma is just fine. I watch my daughter shoot 10 ring all day long with it; so forgive me, if I no longer listen to the 250 lb cowboys, when they whine. It's no Buckmark, but wasn't intended to be. With practice and good technique, it is quite accurate for a defense gun. It feeds everything, hits POA and throws shells like a Buffalo Bills field goal kicker, wide right!

Ours came to life when we crossed over the 1000 trouble free round mark.

Lots of fun to shoot!

Lee

hagar

Most of the people who bash Sigmas have never seen one, and have an agenda against S&W.

I actually like the old ones better, I dislike the grip stippling on the newer ones. I own a 9mm, 40 and one of the few 357 Sigs they made. They all shoot much better to me than my Glocks. Glocks (9 & 40) will shoot good up to 20 yards, and then go to heck. My 9mm Sigma shot a group at 65 yards (range max) that nobody here will believe, my buddy who is a bullseye shooter looked at it in disbelieve. The 357 Sig will almost hang in with my Sig 229 in 357 Sig, and that is the most accurate centerfire pistol I have ever shot.

If I had to go live in a swamp for a year, I would probably pick a Glock, but for all other occasions I prefer the Sigma. I must be one of a few people that actually like the trigger, it is a long trigger but smooth and breaks crisp. And unlike Glock, I have NEVER heard of a Sigma going KABOOM. The only thing I would change about them is to make one in a smaller model, they fall more into the G17/G22 category than the G19/23.

ET.

I own 1 Sigma (40ve) and 2 Glocks (21sf &27). I've had the Sigma longer than either Glock. I do like the feel of the Sigma in my hand, but I didn't start out with revolvers so the trigger pull on the Sigma was tougher for me to master.

I shoot the 21sf tighter at 20 yards than the Sigma. And when I load the 27 with the 357sig barrel I can equal the Sigma also. All in all the Sigma is a good HD gun for me. I just don't view it as a target pistol, which it wasn't meant to be anyway.

rsxr22

has anyone purchased one of smiths new hybrid sigma/m&p's? I believe there called the SD? Seem like a pretty good looking gun at a decent price. I dont know how well they will sell though with the m&p being priced relatively closely

stevieboy

The first semi I ever fired after years of shooting exclusively double action revolvers was a Sigma. It never occurred to me that it had a bad trigger, the trigger struck me then, and now, as being roughly comparable to a da revolver trigger. Now, compared to a 1911 a Sigma trigger is crappy, but so what, it's a double action, defensive handgun. I've tried other DAO semis, like a Kahr, and frankly, I prefer the Sigma trigger.

Leejack

has anyone purchased one of smiths new hybrid sigma/m&p's? I believe there called the SD? Seem like a pretty good looking gun at a decent price. I dont know how well they will sell though with the m&p being priced relatively closely

It is called the SD. The SD9 and SD40.

I have not shot one yet, but plan on it asap. The gun is much more sigma than M&P. Not that that is a bad thing; I prefer the ergos of the sigma. The big thing with the SD'd is the newly designed trigger system. Smith is calling it a consistant self-defense trigger. It is supposed to be lighter than the sigmas trigger. This is a good thing. The trigger is the only real gripe left these days. If the SD is a little easier to shoot, then I predict it will be a winner!

I called Smith and asked if the SD was going to replace the sigma. They are sticking to their guns, that it will not. They maintain 3 pricing tiers are here to stay. We'll see. I have a poll going on this very subject:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-sigma-pistols/136837-will-sd-series-replace-sigma.html

Hope this helps,

Lee

Leejack

This is my daughter's "second attempt ever" with a semi auto in her hands!

You should see her shoot it now!!! Draws an audience at the range every time!

Not bad for a crummy sigma, eh?;)

Lee
DSCF4642.jpg

CajunBass

The only thing I would change about them is to make one in a smaller model, they fall more into the G17/G22 category than the G19/23.

I would have thought so too, but now, not so much so.

My Sigma and my wife's G-19.

100_0118.jpg

About the same size really.