Poor man gets ready to take the Colt SAA..

aspen1964

..plunge...with his eyes trained on an early 2nd generation even...why..because life is so short and ends so quickly...it will be the cream of my gun family..

gak

Good choice. If you ultimately decide it's too deep a plunge, get one by USFA (US Firearms)...as close to the real article as there is for, typically, a good bit less (new) than a decent condition 2nd gen. Some say better quality than some of what Colt's been putting out "lately" (especially early 3rd gens). (I'm talking their "regular" line, not the cheaper/plainer cowboy shooting-oriented Rodeo (?) type..which are fine, but not the subject here). Finish is superb. These run $850-900 used (internet) to $950-$1,000 new, discounted/internet. Their "Gunslinger" does a dang-fine job of antiquing to make it look like it's truly a 100 yr old+ gun and can be found internet new under $700-850. Back to the Colt, if this is primarily as a future heirloom, consider .44 Sp., introduced in the 2nd Gen. There aren't a lot of them around, thus perhaps (ultimately) increasing their collector-desirability--as the .45s abound, relatively speaking. Just a thought. Good luck!

john45colt

I bought a Colt 2nd gen Saa last year trying to get as close to my b-day as possible. I found one on Gunbroker that fit my needs, missed my b-day by 3 days but they aren't cheap. One thing about the Colt Saa is it won't loose it's value if anything it should increase.

Last edited:

jakerudy

You won't regret it. Mine is an all original matching numbers .44-40 made in 1906. Thinking about getting another when I can.

Colt 1st gen.jpg

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I traded into a 1903-vintage Frontier SAA in .44-40 some years back. Around 12% to 15% finish, per Fjestad's book. Walked out on the back porch, aimed at the gong at 40 yards and, "Clang!" :) Hmmm, I sez, shoots good--and put it away for a while.

Ol' Sam Colt probably never heard the word "ergonomics", but he was surely a master of it!

:), Art

jakerudy

Couldn't agree more, Art. Mine shows a lot of use but to me it has character. It is 100 years old, sure wish it could talk.

X-RAY

Good luck aspen 1964. I am also looking at a Colt SSA , .45 long, NIB , from the Colt Custom Shop. It's 99.9% and , according to the present owner "has never ben fired " ( I personally don't think ANY gun leaves the factory without beeing fired.) Where could I find the present value of one of these ?

THANKS