Polymer AR Lowers

doofus47

I bought a Tennessee Arms lower b/c I was building a rifle I hoped to turn over to my kids some day and wanted to do the engraving and get a lower in flat dark earth. If I still had my local AR manufacturer making aluminum lowers, I probably would have just stuck with that. I buil a 6.5 Grendel hunting rifle out of the lower. It has been fine for a year.

I have a CavArms A1 lower that I mated to a Vietnam-era A1 upper. It's been working fine.

I don't think I'd "go to war" with one, but they've been solid performers for the avid hobby-ist in my.

jad0110

The GWACS CAV-15 is the way to go, for me anyway, in polymer lowers. They do have some drawbacks that must be considered. You can't change the stock (the A1 length is perfect for me) and you can't change the pistol grip (it feels satisfactory to me ... not great, but okay). And the two receiver pins are not captured and they fit VERY tight (that is a bit annoying). And lastly, they aren't pretty. But I didn't build my lightweight AR to look good.

Blem models sell for $85 on the GWACS website, and though that is $35 more than some aluminum lowers - remember - the GWACS lower also has an integral pistol grip, stock and upper receiver extension. So in the case of the GWACS, it is an excellent value.

Something to consider, but they aren't for everyone. Personally, I've used it on a lightweight AR build, closely following the "What Would Stone Do 2017" inrangetv project referenced by shep above. I may use the GWACs in future builds, but, we'll see.

I have no qualms with it's strength, in fact, I think that maybe, just maybe the GWACs would withstand the push up test as well or better than a standard aluminum lower. It's light, but it is definitely beefed up in the key areas (the lower itself is dimensionally larger than al aluminum lower) and it feels VERY solid.