Votes: 51 49.5%
  • 5.56 x 45 (.223)

Votes: 24 23.3%

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 19.4%

• Total voters

Wraith

Best all around round, at least at the moment.

I'm waiting for some real-world results from the 6.8 x whatever. It still won't have the longer ranges covered like the 7.62 NATO, but it should do nicely under 300 yards.

6.5 Grendel!

Flatter shooting than the 7.62 NATO, harder hitting (especially at long range), less recoil, weighs considerably less, length of a 5.56 (can be used in AR lowers).

7.62 NATO is obsolete.

Stiletto

.22LR minigun, eh

That would make an interesting weapon concept: a 5.7mm or 4.6mm machine gun. The things are far superior ballistically to .22LR, and have the advantage of armor penetration (well, some), supersonic V0s (700m/s ish), and non-rimmed cartridges.

Not anything to replace a SAW, but for close-range entry work, how awesome would it be to have a completely controllable 1500rpm weapon feeding from a 250 round box (which would only be 5 pounds itself)?

I guess it would need a powered feed...nothing a 12V car battery (or less) couldn't handle.

P226

It’s kind of a flawed question. If I was by myself in combat and did not have other people supporting me I would prefer a cartridge and a platform that could do all things okay, but is not overly great or overly bad in one particular area. Given the choices and if I was alone, I would choose a 7.62x51, 6.8SPC, or the 6.5grendal(but I know less about this round than others). Those rounds would offer some great advantages in some environments, but in other environments would not be too much of a limitation. If I was supported by other people then I would be playing a role in a squad, and my squad would have a variety of weapons to meet a variety of threats. In this role, I would opt for a 5.56x45 due to the general flexibility of the round and the ability to carry a lot of it. I think that this is often one point that if forgotten in the great caliber debates, that for military use they are not thinking about a cartridge that can do all things, necessarily. They are thinking of cartridges that can play a role in a squad. This dimension is then at least acknowledged, and put into their calculus of what cartridge to chose. Just my 2 cents, but you should listen to me since I have reached the rank of Brigadier General in my armchair commando brigade. :)

Marko Kloos

I really like 7.62x39 as a combat round. Low recoil, makes a .30 caliber hole, chambered in dead-nuts reliable weapons, quite a bit less ammo weight than 7.62x51, and just as good inside of 200 yards.

shaggy

Bogie

I want a .22LR man-portable minigun with built-in all-steel cans - yeah, not gonna be that great a suppressor, but it'd sure be sorta spooky....

Yeah, I know. Little slow moving bullet. You wanna stand in front of a few dozen, even at 300 yards?

Google "American 180" and Yugoslavian MGV-176. Not quite a .22LR minigun, but at almost 30 rds/sec. its pretty close for a single barreled weapon. I just sold mine - lots of fun, but loading the drums is a PITA.

Bogie

BTDT... It'd be interesting if they could just whup up a gravity feed, kinda like the Dillon case feeders...

I mean, even cutting the thing down to 360rpm, you've got serious "keep their heads down" attitude going. Let's see...

What does 5,000 rounds of .22LR weigh? Figure 25,000 rounds/hour/gun, continuous. I've seen those pallets at Knob Creek... You could put a LOT more than 8 hours of semi-continuous suppressive fire on a single pallet. Of course, it'd be fun to engineer a barrel/rotation system that could handle that... I'm guessing accuracy wouldn't be the forte...

If your folks inside the wire don't have to worry about folks charging the wire, they can spend a lot more time on what they _really_ need to do- play "what if" with air support.

The Body Bagger

Why 6.8? Because it was supposed to be the next latest and greatest craze in a military chambering. Apparently enough people thought highly enough of the on paper reports to choose it. 7.62 x 39 is a fine round I enjoy my Vepr very much. I figured "other" could cover that round along with 30-06 or 5.45 x39 or 6.5 grendel or what have you, just fine and have the posters state their preferred round as you two just did.

7.62 and a FAL, a match forged in steel.

No truer words have been spoken!

Mannlicher

I do a lot of shooting with my AR15 rifles, and my AR180B. I really like the low recoil, accuracy and fun.
However, if push ever came to shove, I would reach for one of my M1A rifles first. Why? I have more confidence in the 7.62 X 51 round.