Votes: 51 49.5%
  • 5.56 x 45 (.223)

Votes: 24 23.3%

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 19.4%

• Total voters

themikeman

It depends on the job if its open shooting like artic or desert I would like the 308 but if its thick jungle or city streets I would want as many follow up shots as possible so the 223 would be good for that kind of warfare.

Stiletto

^^^

Not an option in urban warfare.

I voted .223; let the DMRs take care of longer range targets, I'll take the extra ammo and work with my squad to close to a better engagement range.

saskuach

My thought's exactly. I'd rather avoid the close-in for this reason, though I'm more confident in my < 50m snap shooting skills than my l33t sn1per skillz.

EOD3

Even though there was no mention or reduced ammo (we all know how much heavier 7.62 ammo is), I’ll still take the 7.62. The greater barrier penetration of the 7.62 with or without AP ammunition would be a significant advantage in some cases and it’s increased ballistic advantage would be nice to have in an open environment…

gak

themikeman...isn't the 223 part for the "jungle" use at odds with what many have said (Vietnam, etc.) about it's "deflectability" in such conditions? ...seems to me something like an x39 or rimless "30-30" size/style round ("308 Junior"?--basically a x39) would do the trick better in those conditions. I am not experienced in the combat arena, so just a question, not a comment.

CarlosDJackal

The right tool for the right job. It all depends on METT-TWS. There are situations that even the hard-hitting .308 is not well suited for. There's a reason the military has maintained more than one rifle cartridge in its inventory. IMHO.

themikeman

Gak….. Yes the 7.62 would be a lot better for busting threw brush. I was talking close quarters combat if there are 8 of them at 15 yards and only 1 of me. I wouldn’t want my pins dancing all around I would want something with relatively low recoil. That’s just my opinion no real experience except for a good bit of paintball.

gak

themikeman... you have a very good response/good point re the recoil. Why the M2 Carbine was popular for such (close in) duty. Still can't quite believe we can't do better (for such conditions) than a .223...Simplistically, if you average .223 and .308 looks like a .265 which comes perilously close to .264 dia. Averaging .223 and .284 yields .253, also close to a .257 - Roberts maybe.. in rimless? Just some musing...the idea of a "harder hitting" (including less deflecting by foilage) AR format, but still with manageable recoil -- what would that mean? The 6.5 being discussed throughout the forums?

About 20 years ago a writer tested the ability of various calibers to resist being deflected by "brush." None were unaffected and there was no difference regardless of caliber or bullet mass. If a bullet, any bullet, hits a leaf or a twig it is sent off-course. No superiority for the larger calibers.

The 308 hits harder, but you can carry more 223 ammo. Either will kill a man but the 308 is better if shooting at barricades or vehicles. I could use either. I would probably take whatever is more likely to be found on the battlefield. I would want to be able to scrounge ammo from allies or enemies.

Bogie

I want a .22LR man-portable minigun with built-in all-steel cans - yeah, not gonna be that great a suppressor, but it'd sure be sorta spooky.

I'll bet that a system, along with 10,000 rounds, could be schlepped by one grunt.

Couple it with motion detectors for an automatic firing system, and you'd have one heck of an air-droppable perimeter defense system. Set the thing to oscillate both side to side and vertically (to gain coverage out to 400 or so yards).

Yeah, I know. Little slow moving bullet. You wanna stand in front of a few dozen, even at 300 yards?

Tim R

Springer, Please tell us why? My vote goes for the 7.62 Nato as I'm with EOD, target engaged from afar, very far. Sometimes it's nice to have the power. Yes even more power than the 7.62 X 39.

Now I've shot a M-16 and they are great to shoot. But if I was going to war I would want a M-14.

Wraith

Think about it Bogie, the constant stream of .22 caliber rounds is basically a constant buckshot blast. Even at 300 yrds, if you could get the trajectory right (tracers) you certainly wouldn't want to stick you head up.

6.5 Grendel. No one seems to like this round but when I finally get an AR it will have a grendel upper.

Bogie

You don't need tracers - Just set the thing to traverse x-degrees while firing, while at the same time going up/down a coupla degrees.

Now, where'd the brain cells go that dealt with high school geometry...

If you're running say, a 15 degree section of a circular perimeter, how big is the radius by the time you get to 300 yards? Figure that 50% of the rounds are low, so how many rounds does it take to get one into every linear foot of that radius?

At the very least, it'd sure keep their heads down. And think of the attrition to the office corps... "He wants us to do what?"

Archie

7.62x51

Best all around round, at least at the moment.

I'm waiting for some real-world results from the 6.8 x whatever. It still won't have the longer ranges covered like the 7.62 NATO, but it should do nicely under 300 yards.