Polish P-64

amd6547

I have a CZ82 and used to own a EG Mak...both excellent pistols.
But the P64 is in another class as far as ease of carry. It fits in most PPK holsters, and slipping in the the waist is no burden whatsoever. Literally a gun you forget you are carrying.

Capybara

I have mine on my CCW as my BU gun. Built like a tank, I shoot mine very well, considering the sights suck because they are so tiny and hard to see. But for some reason, I am pretty accurate with this gun. more so than my main gun. That said, 9x18 Mak is not a very good SD cartridge although with the right ammo, it will barely pass the FBI standard for 12-18" of penetration, expansion, etc.

As far as the recoil, good grief, this little pistol isn't bad at all. But I like shooting 8mm Mausers with a steel butt plate, M44s and my AOW with 3" magnum slugs for fun so I guess it is all relative. Compared to a .22, yes, it has some snap to it, but it's not bad at all. I bought the Wolff spring set for mine but have been too lazy to change them out. Mine has a really nice SA trigger and the DA, which I can still hit with, is only about 12-14 pounds, not unmanageable, but maybe I got lucky with mine?

07_zps4cf7846c.jpg

Doc Hoy

I think no one has addressed one of the questions

The idea of the round being a bit weak for PD.

Understand, I am not a law enforcement guy, I am not a PD or HD guy. And so I am only guessing....

My thought though is that the round is a bit light if you are serious about PD. The 9x18 is something like a .380 right? And the pistol only carrier six (I think). Plus the ammo is not all that popular.

Who was it who responded when asked why he carried a .45, "Because Sam Colt don't make a .46."

So I am thinking the XDS.45ACP is about right.

Hope this is not the kind of thing that causes a lot of hate and discontent.
If I am off, here just tell me to sit down.

Capybara

As far as 9x18 Maks viability for SD, IMHO, if it passes the FBI test into ballistics gel, it's good enough for me. This caliber, with the Hornady FTX, passes the test pretty nicely. I agree, a bigger bullet is generally preferable, but the size of this pistol is pretty nice for CCW. It is funny though, when I practice with my AR500 graduated gong set, occasionally I will miss the gong and hit the heavy chain that holds the gong. When I bring the gong set back in to load up to go home, there are sometimes expanded bullets that become lodged in the chain. When I hit the chain with a rifle round, it shears the chain like butter. When I hit it with 9x18 Mak or 9mm, the bullet just sort of plops there.

That tells me that one of these bullets hitting bone might derail it pretty well. Pistols are actually not very effective and we all know that stopping power is myth. But my IA won't let me carry/put my AR pistol onto my LTC.

Doc Hoy:
Those are quite valid perspectives, based on chats about guns carried by many co-workers. Being still fairly new to handguns, several people recommended that I just buy a very compact gun in 9mm Luger. They generally think "compact self defense, (9 mm minimum)".

However, so many of us like the features/ergos/sizes of so many guns which generally copied the PPK that we find them hard to resist and very dependable: Sig 232, German PPK/S (weaker Wolff recoil spring made it dependable), CZ-82 and E. German Makarov.

It might be better to carry a P-64 in/under summer clothing, unless the owner likes 9mm Luger types which are the same size,
and just as reliable (?).

Last edited:

Doc Hoy

Was just wondering.....

I have a P-64 and like the way it handles. I also like the suggestions of others to replace springs. Double action trigger pull is heavy.

Kind of makes the double action function an act, the primary intention of which is to cock the pistol for the first business round.

I have a Beretta 92 and the trigger pull is a lot more reasonable perhaps due to the larger geometry of the trigger itself.

I want to emphasize that I am in no way personal defense, self defense, home defense guy. I don't study it. I would never say I am good at it. I am reluctant to give advice on it (Not smart enough).

So your thoughts are welcome to me.

Having considered a second Mak or first P-64, results from replacement springs to lighten the DA pull caught my attention.

Numerous people report that with the lighter springs, the DA is decent but the SA pull is far too light.
Switching one day from a Sig 232 or actual Makarov as personal "carry" to a P-64 the next day might not be a good idea.

And so far, I've only carried in my car, and have not yet attended any actual self-defense class.

Cheapshooter

I did not notice the slightest in reduction in pull of the SA trigger when I replaced the spring in my P-64 to lower the excessive DA pull. IT WAS ALREADY WAY TO LIGHT TO BE USED FOR CCW! Extremism care, and attention was needed to avoid unintended double taps before the spring change as well as after!
If I were to carry any all steel 9x18 it would be my E. German Makarov.

Emerson Biggies

I just fired my yesterday at the range. I still believe the recoil is uncomfortable, but I still love the gun. Go ahead and buy it while you can before you get any older!:D
2hpswox.jpg

I have replaced the recoil spring and the hammer spring and made a terrible mistake when replacing the firing pin spring. That firing pin spring cost me abou 2-3 hours just getting the safety plunger back in right. Don't touch the firing pin spring unless you have a lotta' time on your hands.:mad:

noelf2

For range use, I load my own 9mm mak ammo at a lower power than the commercial stuff. Still operates the slide on my P-64, doesn't hurt, and doesn't fling the cases so far. For carry, I load with Hornady Critical Duty, not so much fun at the range because of cost and recoil.

leadcounsel

I snapped up a bunch of these when they first hit C&R status. Here's my brief impression. I've shot two of them.

Bottom Line: It's an okay choice in gun and caliber, but far from the best. For anyone on a very tight budget, and only able to afford rock-bottom defense, this will do. But they are essentially the same size and weight as a small modern 9mm pistol such as Glock, CZ, Kahr, etc. In short, if you are employed, you can do better than the P64. I do love the P64 for what it is, a cool piece of history in a functioning pistol. But probably not a top choice for carry.

Mine were very accurate and reliable. The tiny serrations make it hard to rack the slide. No slide hold open lever. Small risk of slide bite due to small dovetail. Sharp and snappy recoil, much more noticeable than the modern offerings I mentioned.

The stock trigger spring must be replaced because the factory 24 pound is uselessly heavy (hard to pull, and creates inaccurate shooting). The spring is about $10 shipped, and easy to install yourself by watching a Youtube video.
Should get something in the 18 or 20 pound range. This really isn't optional, it's strongly recommended and makes a world of difference in usability.

The 9x18 HP is an adequate self-defense round, but I'd much prefer relying on at 9x19 HP. Ammo prices are comparable.

Total price is going to be around $250-300 after gun, taxes, shipping, FFL, and new spring (less with a C&R). So, again, used modern guns are marginally more expensive, and much more useful. If you compare the size, weight, and thickness, you'll find it to be marginally thinner or the same dimensions as modern carry guns, but the all steel weight is heavier. Oh, and you only get 6 rounds of 9x18 versus the same or more round in larger calibers with modern pistols. The P64 is a cool, fun little curio and would do the job, but just not as well as modern offerings.

Last edited: