Police scanner... tactical tool?

Glenn E. Meyer

Had it not been for the scanner, I wouldn't have known about it and probably would have left my doors unlocked as usual and the HD gun up on the nightstand.

Unlocked - can you say the Petit family?

Daniel BOON

Lock your doors

I have a scanner; I live in one of the worst cess pool in the U S aka Vegas; I have a firearm in all the rooms, and backed up by a nasty Rottweiler. BUT.......when I come in the house, before I do anything else, I LOCK THE DOOR BEHIND ME! call me paranoid, but call me alive also.:cool:

Hardtarget

I had one and listened to it a lot...drove my wife crazy! Then a few years ago the police and fire dept. here in Nashville went to a "repeater" radio system and it killed my scanner listening. Kind of miss having it.

Mark.

Doggieman

not no mo'

Call you're local Radio Shack, they'll tell you what systems are used in your area.

About 15 years ago I would have agreed with that statement. These days the poor shmucks working my local radio shack can barely utter human noises and ring up a sale, let alone know ANYTHING about electronics.

ZeSpectre

Yeah (SIGH) a big +1 on that.
Radio Shack is a glorified cell phone store anymore.

you want some idea of what's going on and what to use go to the Radio Reference page. Buy the right computer controlled scanner and you can program it directly from lists on the RR page (it's VERY cool and WAAAAY easier than the old days!)

For example I use...
-Radio Shack PRO-96 digital scanner
-Data cable to my computer
-Win96 software
and have a subscription to Radio Reference.

The Win96 software can pull up information from the Radio Reference webpage (if you have a RR subscription) and program it directly into the scanner in a few (relatively) simple steps.