Point shooting--what is considered acceptable accuracy?

Elvishead

I was talking to a Range Masters/instuctor that is a pretty good shot at the range I go to, and we were talking about SD shooting, I mentioned point shooting. He said that's good, but when you use your sights, you get muscle memory and it becomes more natural when point shooting.

It seemed to make sense to me!

CraigC

That's why I suggest plinking as the venue for learning point shooting. It is random and unpredictable. It is a venue that lends itself to improvisation.
Knocking down tin cans is better training for point shooting than formalizing the same thing at the range.
I must've misunderstood your first post then, because I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. It's unfortunate though, that most shooters don't have access to a place for informal plinking. In that regard, I am very lucky in that I am able to shoot on my own property. I've spent A LOT of time and ammo in the last two or three years practicing my point shooting. This is where the .22 really shines, for me.

bred836101

point shoot

ok well all i have to say is you got to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. all point shoot comes down to is muscle memory for the most part. start with getting to know your gun first. once your happy with your groups with that then go to a slow point shoot (one or two rounds at a time). then move to full speed shooting. As far as ranges start close then move further and further away. thats how the army tough us to do it and i could get a group about 5" at about 15m away with a M9. and yes it is an under estimated skill. me as a gun owner i say it is one of the most important skill to have with a HG. i can all so say that you should switch up your stances while your shooting (center face left and right face). Being an ambidextrous shooter in point shooting is also very VERY important. after all its better them than you. i hope all of this has helped you out.

smince

Since your range has these restrictions, get a gas blow-back airsoft as similar to your carry gun as possible. Find a place to practice this rapid fire, then start practicing it while moving.

orionengnr

I've been reading the posts about glue boolits, wax boolits (even foam ear plugs use as projectiles) with interest. I might be able to get some home point-shooting practice with one or more of these...

As far as increasing the range, perhaps with time. Most of my shooting (sighted) is at 21-25 feet. As I progress, I will extend the range.

However, I believe that percentage-wise, nearly any real-world situations will fall into the 15-25 foot range, so that is where I am concentrating my practice time, for now.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

mustang_steve

I agree, if you want to do home practice for this, get a "full metal" gas blow-back airsoft pistol in similar design to your carry piece. The full metal kits feel very much like the real firearm, and the recoil will be a little stronger (nowhere near as strong as a real firearm, but you can actually feel it cycling, compared to some cheap plastic models).

It's the safest way to practice at home....just wear goggles for eye protection, and remember to vacuum up all the little BBs that will be everywhere.

win-lose

However, I believe that percentage-wise, nearly any real-world situations will fall into the 15-25 foot range, so that is where I am concentrating my practice time, for now.

I think 5-12 feet is probably the more common real world range.

Deaf Smith

I think 5-12 feet is probably the more common real world range.

Common? Ah a sort of average. In the 'real world' to expect your self defense situation to be between 5 and 12 feet is playing dice.

It may be in a struggle where the range is in single digit inches or easly past 25 yards. It may be one BG, or a whole passle of them. It can be a exposed non-moving attacker or one that is moving at any angle toward you (or away from you.) You might very well even have part of them not even showing, as say, leaning out from behind a door or desk or car.

This is why the sighted fire is so necessary. You cannot guarentee what the range or size of exposed target or if it will be even standing still.

Practing sighted fire, as in flash-sight-picture, will allow you even in simi-darkness to fire quite accuratly at any range past retention. Even if you can't see the sights (as I've posted), then using the same technique you will still be able to shoot accurately. For as Cooper said, "the body aims, the sights confirm."

Think of it as eye level point shooting with the sights just there in the sight plain for you to confirm the weapon is point on. Not adjust, but to confirm.

win-lose

Common? Ah a sort of average. In the 'real world' to expect your self defense situation to be between 5 and 12 feet is playing dice.

I'm very fortunate to have never been in a shoot out... but I have been mugged before and know lots of other people who have as well. Muggers will ALWAYS close the distance before making an actionable threat to you. "Excuse me, do you have the time?" or "Excuse me, do you have a cigarette?" "Excuse me, do you know where....?"

I have taken a few combat handgun courses (taught be LEO trainers) and all pretty much state the same thing. In a self defense situation, you will have no time to acquire a site picture. You will have no ability to physically acquire a sight picture (due to the adrenaline dump) . And lastly, if you do have the time and ability to acquire a sight picture and take the shot, you have most probably just committed murder.

Again, as far as distances are concerned.... Here's a question: How large are the rooms in your house?

I'm sure that there a billion scenarios that could be dreamed up and many of which would make a fun time training for, but they don't represent probable scenarios.

For me, in addition to cqc point shooting, I also train with sighted fire as well as longer distance point shooting. Don't get me wrong, sighted fire is a skill worth having, but in a self defense situation, to my mind, it's practical application is very limited compared to point shooting.

CraigC

Don't get me wrong, sighted fire is a skill worth having, but in a self defense situation, to my mind, it's practical application is very limited compared to point shooting.
Agreed!