Pocket gun other than a J frame?

glockopop

So i traded my 640 toward a Colt CCO this weekend because i didn't have quite enough cash, so i'm going to need a new pocket gun. I went around to the local gun stores today to see what my options are. I'll probably just get another J frame (airweight this time), but i wanted to see what my other options are. Any suggestions?

rantingredneck

There are any number of flavors of .380 out there (Seecamp, LCP, P3AT, Kahr, Micro Eagle, Sig). Ammo availability is still spotty in that caliber though.

Then there's the ubiquitous J-frame, the LCR, and Taurus J-frame class offerings.

Then you have the micro 9's (Kahr, Keltec, Rohrbaugh)

That about covers it.

I personally have the LCP (with CT) and the LCR as my pocket guns and I'm happy with my choices.

camsdaddy

I like the Keltec P32. Its small enough you always carry it. Potent enough to do what you need it to. Accurate and shootable with one hand either strongside or weakside. Mine has been 100% reliable.

gak

Less "pocket" than general cc but, Colt D frame (Det. Sp) and very (very) similar Rossi .357 -- also 6 shot--both sort of "J+1/2." Like most .357 snubbies, I'd shoot mostly .38s and +Ps in it anyway. Back to the true pocket revolvers: Discontinued J Airweight in six shot .32 H&R Mag. Hammer'd or not. Never a better match of caliber and chassis made. If you don't reload, load with Georgia Arms' 100 Gr JHP.

hardluk1

I have two that fit a regular front pants pocket well , kel-tec pf-9 and a charter amrs ultra lite undercover in 38sp. Big enough to hold on to and fill the pocket smartly and light enough that you can forget they are there like when going to the bank. Got to remember to do a pad down when i get out. Use to carry a taurus model 85 and at 21oz + ammo you could never forget about it.

KyJim

I like the small .380s for pocket carry like the Ruger LCP and Sig 238. Thinner and smaller than a J-frame. But if the J-frame has been working for you in pocket carry, I would go ahead and get another one (Airweight).

pinetree

Maybe it is my clothes, but I can't pocket carry a revolver. I had an Ultra-light 38 and just couldn't do it. Keltec P-32 worked in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

orionengnr

I travelled the j-frame road but turned back. I tried Kel-Tec alley but got mugged four times (P-32, P-11, two P3ATs).

My Kahr PM9 is my only pocket pistol.

glockopop

I pocketed just about everything I could at 3 different local stores. The J frame style wheelgun definitely still works. I'd've like the Ruger LCR if not for the giant, sticky grips that make an otherwise perfect pocket gun no good for pocket carry. It was better with the lasergrips, but I really can't afford that one right now.

One store even had a Seecamp LWS32 for me to try out. It was smaller than I'd realized, and with a gun like that, I'd never have an excuse for not having a gun with me. However, it's too small, really. I kind of felt the same way about the Kel-Tec P32.

I've shot a Ruger LCP, and I didn't like it at all. Recoil was far too stout for me. After handling the P3AT, I felt it'd be the same story there.

The Kel-Tec PF9 and Kahr PM9 both seemed to big for pocket carry to me.

The one big question mark is the SIG P238. I'd really like to try one of these out. One of the guys in the store has one, and according to him it's much easier to shoot than the LCP, but not much bigger. I'd like to handle one, maybe even shoot one before I buy, but none of the local stores can keep them in stock. Apparently they've been flying off the shelves. The only reservation I have is about ammo. If it's a .38, I'm going to have practice ammo loaded pretty much always and I'd have no problem practicing with it regularly. .380 practice ammo is going to be more expensive and less available, and odds of me ever reloading .380 are pretty slim.

I've still got a while before my carry permit arrives, so I'm in no rush. I think I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a P238, and if I don't find one by the time I'm ready to buy just go back to the good ol' J frame.

KYJim and anybody else with experience, how's shooting the 238 compare to shooting the LCP?

Last edited:

Silverado

J Frame

I carry a Ruger LCP and pocket holster in my front jeans pocket almost everywhere. I also sometimes carry a full-sized 1911 on my belt when the weather allows me to do so (heavier clothing in the cold means easy concealment for the big fella').

I shoot the .45 at the range when I can and am accurate with it at SD ranges, and I also practice drawing and dry firing at home using snap-caps over the last week or so (oddly had trouble finding snap-caps, ordered off of amazon.com after looking at gun stores for a few weeks). Although I've only practiced with the draw and dry fire a short time, I've been un-pleasently surprised how often I forget to snap the safety off when I draw. I'm beginning the think a DAO, like the LCP may really a better choice for CCW? Especially bearing in mind the 1911 is harder to conceal. Practice makes perfect, but one less thing to think about could make difference in a stress situation, no?

It has made me wonder if a J-Frame may be a good compromise, especially a model rated for .357? I could get a holster for my belt so I could carry out of my pocket and it should be easy to conceal. The FL Forum has made me think 2x about an S&W model with the dreaded internal lock. I have a late production S&W 686 w/4" barrel (which I don't carry, but I am a really good shot with). It has the IL, but frankly I had completely forgotten about the "feature" until it came up on FL recently. I simply unlocked the gun when I got it home, threw the key into the hard case and have shot hundreds of rounds, .357 and .38 with no issue (other than the ejector rod working its way loose on the threads after 100 rounds or so of mag loads). But no issue with the IL I was blissfully unaware of until recently.

Should I worry about a new J-Frame? I am mostly considering the models with an internal hammer and maybe (!) laser sights. What say you, Forum?

m&p45acp10+1

Polish P 64

I carry a Polish P 64 in an Uncle Mikes No. 2 pocket holster. It is a bit on the heavy side. Pluses are it is all metal, it has nothing to snag when drawing, holds 7 rounds. Practice amo is available online at prices comprable to 9 mm Lugger if ordered in bulk. Hornady makes hollow points for it. If you consider it a draw back the DA trigger pull for the first round is quite heavy(14# on mine before the trigger job). I had a trigger job done on mine reduced it to about 10# SA trigger pull is a crisp 1 pound. It is reliable as all get out, at 21 feet I can shoot it rapidly and put all 7 shots inside of the 8 ring on a B27 target.
Plus for me was also the price. At a gunshow it was $200 out of the door with 400 rounds of Wolf Military classic steel cased non corrosive ammo. I like mine it goes everywhere in my pocket, unless I am jogging then it goes in a belly band at 9 oclock. It seems to conceal easily with little effort.

1911_Hardball

I have a Kel-tec P3AT and a P32. Both work flawlessly and thanks to being delayed blowback are very mild to shoot. Of the two, I prefer the 32, but I can't really say why.

Kreyzhorse

I've got a S&W 637 and I wouldn't consider it a pocket pistol. Too big and thick and to me, it always looks like I've got a J-frame in my pocket. It works fine in cargo pants or a jacket pocket, but certainly not in my front pocket.

The Ruger LCP, Berretta Tomcat or other small mouse guns tend to fit the pocket gun genre a little better in my opinion. Besides those two, there are lots of other options out there.

shep854

I've been carrying Kel-Tec autos (P11 and PF9) for the last few years, but went back to my J-49 this past week. I haven't been able to practice much, so I figured I'd better go with the least fumble-prone gun I had. Plus, I simply had a 'retro' urge.

gb_in_ga

I use my Keltec PF-9 as both a pocket carry and as a IWB CCW, depending on what I'm wearing at the time. I'm not saying that it is the only option, or the best for you. But it works for me, I'm happy with it.