Pocket Concealed Carry with Cargo Pants

Saurdaukar

Only new thing to add, of any value, is holster-dependent.

If you have one of the BORAII's, you might be able to get your hand on the pistol more quickly in a cargo pocket (temporarily assuming it is properly oriented), but the angle of the draw and larger size of the pocket mouth would impede reliable separation of the holster and the pistol on that draw.

Reintroducing positioning, personally, I prefer front right pocket because it affords constant awareness of the weapon's orientation. In a larger cargo short pocket, you lose that awareness almost completely. Thing could be pointed straight up at your armpit and you'd have no idea until you go to grab for it. That's unnerving to me. Feels like a loss of control. Try it for yourself and see if it works.

FrankenMauser

For you to say that pocket carry doesn't work... I can say right back at you, it does for me.
Yea, that's pretty much the point of this forum.

You think it works, and you alter/adjust your wardrobe to accommodate.

I think it sucks, and stick with clothes that I find more comfortable.

That's all it boils down to. There are no essays, debates, and justifications necessary.
It's a friendly airing of opinion.

fastbolt

Carry methods are not only dependent on the situation, but also the user. User preference can vary.

I have half a dozen or more cargo shorts. I got them for summer wear.

I also own several pairs of different styles of cargo pants (not a 5.11 in the bunch, either), which I originally used for work (range instructor), but now wear for retired/casual roles (fits right in with where I live).

My preference in cargo shorts is for styles which have deep front pockets. That allows me to conceal pocket-holstered guns of many makes/models. The front pocket drops and centers the weapons, without allowing them to "tip".

The side cargo "bellows" pockets don't "center" the weapons, but allows them to shift anywhere front-to-back of the pockets, and worse, to even "tip" over. The weapon goes from muzzle down to muzzle forward or backward.

Yes, my variety of snubs and plastic or metal-framed pistols become easily shifting lumps that swing and bump into the outside of my leg (not enjoyed by the iliotibial band, or the side of my knee). That's just standing and walking. Running is a lot worse.

Sitting? The weapon in the front pocket can be gently shifted to slide over against the outside of the leg, resting on the seat next to the leg, but still mostly held against the leg. The cargo pocket holstered weapon can flop out away from the leg, and then there's the issue of having to make sure it remains muzzle down, instead of shifting/tipping in the generous cargo pocket.

Yep, not all pocket holsters are the same. That's a subject worth a thread of its own.

Now different folks are built differently, and different cargo pants are built differently, and there's a pretty wide potential variety of possible "fits" of folks and shorts (with different pocket styles and locations).

I like to have some control over the way a weapon (holstered) fits in my pockets, and I prefer to really limit the potential for looseness and uncontrolled shifting of a weapon. I especially don't appreciate having a pistol or snub revolver flopping in & out, banging against my IT band or the side of my knee.

When driving around "town", I realize I'll have to stop and unbelt in order to gain access to my front pocket holstered weapon. When on long road trips, if I have a front pocket holstered weapon, I'll either have another weapon securely close at hand (carefully positioned case, for example), or I'll shift the pocket holstered gun to a different pocket, like the inside breast pocket of a jacket (light or heavy, depending on the weather).

FWIW, I've invested many years carrying and using my pocketable guns from the various pockets, in both cargo pants, jeans and in jacket pockets, so I've ingrained some habits in realizing where they're located and accessing them for live-fire practice and training. (That's one of the admitted advantages of working a LE-only range.)

Now, I neithe shill styles/brands of holsters, nor do I pretend to have the ability to pick and choose carry methods for others. I can discuss and demonstrate in the classroom, when NO ammo is present, as well as out on the range, and let others decide for themselves.

Regardless of what someone else thinks they like, or wants to work for them, once the whistle or buzzer sounds, it's safe & smooth drawing, presentation and accurate rounds-on-target that matter.

The threat won't care about how cool or tactical your carry method is to you, or looks to others. It's a means to an end, which is keeping your weapon safe, secure and accessible. You get to pick, and be prepared to live (or not) with the consequences of your choice ... as do we all.

Best of luck. Choose wisely.

TXdino

I usually carry a Shield in a Nemesis holster in a cargo pocket with Velcro tabs. Pros- invisible (my experience) and accessible, works great while driving, sitting, has never fallen out.
Cons- Does bump around bit while walking
Saves front pockets for wallet, keys.
Thanks to this thread now looking for holsters specifically designed for cargo pockets with mag holder as my spare is loose in the pocket.

Screwball

Yea, that's pretty much the point of this forum.

You think it works, and you alter/adjust your wardrobe to accommodate.

I think it sucks, and stick with clothes that I find more comfortable.

That's all it boils down to. There are no essays, debates, and justifications necessary.

It's a friendly airing of opinion.

Roger that... and wasn't trying to start anything with my post (clarity doesn't usually work out with posting on the internet). Nothing is wrong about opposing views... as long as it doesn't turn emotional. Helps people look into something different, especially if they have no knowledge of that situation.

I do want to know, what holster did you try with those guns in the cargo pocket? Just wondering if they were normal pocket holsters or ones designed for cargo pockets. I do like to see what people tried out, especially if it did not work... saves some money.

Thanks to this thread now looking for holsters specifically designed for cargo pockets with mag holder as my spare is loose in the pocket.

Yea, definitely a lot of different holsters out there... for that specific use. And very different from normal pocket holsters. I even have one or two of those covers that the gun can shoot out of... being I wanted to see what they were like. Presenting it a pain, as you are gripping the holster, as well as the gun. While it would "work," far from optimal (I'd go a normal pocket holster before that).

In regards to reloads, I wouldn't recommend them being loose in the same pocket as the gun (wasn't clear, but I don't like stuff in that same pocket, unless secured). Not too keen on them being loose, period... as stuff getting jammed in the magazine/speedloader/moonclip could cause problems. I have a single pocket carrier for my P938 magazine from DM Bullard, and a double holster for my LCP (been meaning to pick up a IWB holster for it). Even my J-frame reloads, I got some covers from Del Fatti Leather for my 9mm moonclips, which would end up in cargo pocket when I carry that (would be IWB).

James K

Member In Memoriam
"I've found that you can get Dockers with nice deep and floppy sized pockets that easily concealed a J or G42."

Some of those cargo pants can conceal a G.43 (the WWII German rifle, not a Glock pistol), but in either case getting the gun into action is not that easy. I know a couple of women who carry guns in their purses - they would have to call "time out" and hunt through a maze of junk (coins, chewing gum, Tums, glasses, pens, notebook, etc., etc.,) to find the pistol. I just hope they are attacked by a very patient crook.

Jim

FITASC

Since I live in cargo shorts for 360 out of 365 days a year (it dips below 40 a few days a year), I pocket carry in my front pocket in a Nemesis. Side pocket get the lighter wallet so if it shifts a little, that isn't an issue. When I lose some more weight than IWB or OWB can become more of a reality. I found IZOD to have good pockets as well as nylon cargo shorts from a regional dept. store

FrankenMauser

Roger that... and wasn't trying to start anything with my post (clarity doesn't usually work out with posting on the internet). Nothing is wrong about opposing views... as long as it doesn't turn emotional. Helps people look into something different, especially if they have no knowledge of that situation.

I do want to know, what holster did you try with those guns in the cargo pocket? Just wondering if they were normal pocket holsters or ones designed for cargo pockets. I do like to see what people tried out, especially if it did not work... saves some money.
Understood.

Holsters...
I went through a metric ton of holsters a few years ago, while trying to figure out what to do with the LCP and the J-frame. Then, eventually, the LCR, after the J-frame went away.
What didn't work got handed down to other shooters or sold at a loss on eBay, and I honestly don't remember 70% of what went through here.

That being said, there was a heavy bias toward Remora while I was considering pocket carry. I know I tried three Remora variations for the J-frame (and later the LCR), and at least two for the LCP.
The standard pocket holsters were included, as well as a Mini Carbon Carry, I believe. But I don't recall how they were all spec'd.

There were also four or five DeSantis holsters for the LCP and LCR. (Just gave all but one of those away.)
I also built my own for the LCP out of Kydex and some cowhide. Didn't work well. Need more practice. :rolleyes: It got recycled into vise soft jaws (leather) and a splash guard for a horn relay on my Nova (the Kydex was almost the perfect shape), with the Chicago screws salvaged for later use.

And, of course, the Ruger holster for the LCP. (Which was also given away just a couple weeks ago. Who throws away a holster without even trying it, and then starts asking other LCP owners if they can have one?... [My father, that's who. :rolleyes:])

I don't recall trying a holster in the pocket for any of the full-size autos, except the Ruger P95. (I had a near-expiration coupon code for a free holster from Remora, and couldn't figure out what to get. ...Just went for something I might, eventually, possibly find useful -- a standard IWB w/ full sweat shield.)

When CC became lawful here, my first prior its was that of concealment. I bought a pocket-sized handgun and a holder for it and say I went.

At the time, I had had absolutely no self defense training, and I had only the foggiest concept of how a use of force incident might unfold.

Then I availed myself of some training.

I now carry using an OWB belt holder, or occasionally, IWB.

I simply could not access a firearm quickly enough from a pocket in a realistic situation.

There are two exceptions that sometimes take me to pocket carry: vest or jacket pocket carry in an automobile, or pants packet carry in the house.

I do wear pants with cargo pockets most of the time.