Please suggest a 38 for the ladies

jglsprings

PawPaw,

Oh, great idea. I carry a J frame everyday and totally forgot about it. (Must be the perfect carry gun huh?) With mild 38 special loads it is a peach for recoil adverse shooters.

oneounceload

Oh, great idea. I carry a J frame everyday and totally forgot about it. (Must be the perfect carry gun huh?) With mild 38 special loads it is a peach for recoil adverse shooters.

I'll disagree - I carry a 642 and its stiff trigger and small frame make it difficult to shoot accurately and easily.

These women need to go to a rental range and try anything and everything to see what THEY like

Furtrapper

Furtrapper

I bought a S&W 442 for myself and a 642 for my wife as she wanted a laser she that the 442 fit her small hand beter so we switched the grips. The 442 goes for about $480 around MO. Don't know if that will help or not.

Furtrapper

Auto426

but the Python with 38 Special loads was just about right.

If the Python worked great for them, then a Smith 686 or a Ruger GP100 would also work great. All 3 are .357 magnums, but they can easily shoot any type of .38 special they want in them, and they have the option to move up to .357's when they become more comfortable and practiced with their guns.

If the gun is for home defense only, then buying a lightweight snub like some have suggested doesn't make a lot of sense. They won't be carrying the gun, and a heavier gun will absorb more recoil, which is critically important for a person who is sensitive to recoil. A 4" duty type revolver will have superior shooting characteristics.

k511

i take out my S&W K frame 66-2 when the ladies want to shoot somthing a little larger... handles the .38 great and .357 for when they want to go bigger... as far as HD this would also be my revolver of choice

DSC_05932.jpg

306490_173460559412809_100002465994563_320474_1199244495_n.jpg

DSCF0569.jpg

Casimer

@603 I think that you're on the right track w/ a medium frame.

right or wrong, that a used 38 special revolver has less market worth than a 357 in the same frame and design, therefore a used 38 should be easier to get for a low price.

This is generally true, though the classic 38spl's can actually fetch a bit more due to collector interest. But the other consideration is that among less expensive used revolvers, the 38spls are likely to be in better mechanical condition. This is simply because the ammo is less taxing on the frame and potentially the forcing cone. So for someone who isn't familiar w/ how you should evaluate a used revolver, a 38spl is probably a safer bet.

kcub

old-style Model 60

Just went through this process with a 65 year old woman (brother's wife's mother). She immediately gravitated towards revolvers and tried my SP101 and S&W model 38. She liked the sp101 better but settled on the pre-lock model 60 as a compromise of weight/controllable. She loves shooting cans. I think having single action capability is important because it is easier for learning and gaining confidence and having fun hitting things. You can easily learn to have your thumb on the hammer as you draw to avoid snags.

Above all else, let her make the final decision. A carry gun is a personal thing.

k511

its just camera angle....all firearms were also checked by myself personally before they got to take their pictures, and the "trigger finger " rule is one of the first i teach :).... was a safe situation in my book

Walklightly

I think it's just the angle of the photo.

I still think it looks like her finger was off the trigger!:D

its just camera angle....all firearms were also checked by myself personally before they got to take their pictures, and the "trigger finger " rule is one of the first i teach .... was a safe situation in my book

Way cool!

Kidding aside, all peoples had there fingers off the trigger.

Not to make a story of it, well, yes, I was walking in the total dark with my finger off the trigger (striker fire poly gun) and tripped on my FN face. Need I say more, no AD.

God bless finger off trigger every time. Can we say it enough?

Black_Sheep

My wife prefers my 3" Model 10 over the Airweight J Frame she thought she wanted. The additional weight helps eliminate felt recoil and the longer sight radius is inherently more accurate for a casual shooter. The Ahrends "retro bananna" grips are comfortable even though she is petite.

3in10.jpg