Please suggest a 38 for the ladies

603Country

My wife and I had some company this weekend - two single women in their 50's - and they wanted to shoot some pistols. I dragged out a couple of 22 revolvers, a 38 snub nosed, my 357 Python, and the Beretta PX4 in 9mm. After a lot of shooting with each pistol, they both loved the 22's but understand that a little more 'horsepower' would be best for home defense. The snubbie was too light to shoot comfortably, but the Python with 38 Special loads was just about right. So..their decision was that they'd each want a 38 in a medium frame revolver - not too light and not too heavy. They both want an affordable pistol, and I'm thinking that a used S&W in 38 might be a good and quite affordable choice. So...what do you folks suggest for a least expensive used medium frame double action 38 revolver, with a 4 inch barrel. It needs to be acceptable quality and completely reliable, but doesn't have to be a Colt or S&W.

SecurityMike

Sounds like a job for the gp100 in 3 or 4 inch. Or a 3 inch sp101 might work better, it's heavy enough to mitigate the recoil, but small enough to fit a lady's hands.

TxFlyFish

which snub nose did you use? I personally find something in the low 20s oz to tame the std and p+ pretty well, but of course ergos and balance matters a lot as well

SWIll

2nd on the used model 10 or model 64-can be had at great prices online as police trade-ins.

Mastrogiacomo

Yet another vote for the model 10. BTW, I use and love a S&W 686+ which is dead on accurate and whole lot of fun to use at the range. I also have a GP100 3" and SP101 DAO which is also highly recommended - but just because I'm a woman doesn't mean another woman likes my taste in guns. She should be the one picking the firearm. You might want to convey that weight is your friend and will absorb the recoil better. Some ladies like the 442/642 but I just really can't get used to the recoil. Everyone's different.

Laura

Last edited:

jglsprings

I'd vote Model 10 or Model 64. There are a boat load of them currently as police trade-ins at bargain prices.

I like the 64s better because they can polish up, clean up, spiff up so much easier than a blued Model 10. YMMV.

Here is a picture of a short barrel 64...

6242326562_5f3666f6eb.jpg

A four inch may be better for your situation.

Last edited:

603Country

Thanks for the input. They'll be buying their own pistols, but they unfortunately didn't have much base knowledge of pistols of any type. After they did all the shooting, and enjoyed it thoroughly, they made their comments on what they did and didn't like and I then suggested the caliber, the medium frame and the barrel length. That's so they can go to a gun shop or gun/pawn shop and have a place to start the conversation with the gun shop folks. They'll handle them, find something they like and I assume they'll buy it if it isn't too expensive. Probably a new pistol will be too expensive, so that's why the question on good used pistols and models. If memory is correct, that Smith Model 10 was the Military and Police model. My Dad had one. With a better set of grips than what came from the factory, that would be a fine choice for them. It isn't particularly sexy (but the 64 looks real nice) and I doubt that it'll be anything that most people would want to collect, so it's a good choice for inexpensive and still worth the money. I'll google it up to make sure I have the right model in mind. I also suggested that when they've made their purchase, to come on back to our ranch and I'll load up a ton of ammo and they can shoot till they feel confident on pistol use, safety, and accuracy (and cleaning).

And just fyi, one of the ladies was particularly attracted to the 686 (internet pictures), thinking that it was pretty sexy. And neither wanted anything to do with the Smith Pink Lady revolvers. No pink, thankyouverymuch.

It was pretty interesting watching them go from gun to gun, shooting, commenting, and trying another one. Seemed way different from guys shooting guns, and there was no macho problem with their taking advice on shooting technique. They both very quickly picked up on shooting accurately.

Webleymkv

In a S&W, any of the all-steel K-Frame .38's would be a fine choice as they are small and light enough to fit most small-handed people well but not so small and light as to make recoil unpleasant. Models to look for include the M10, M64, M15, M67, and if they don't mind a 6" barrel M14.

Ruger hasn't ever made a revolver that was offered in nothing but .38 Special, but .38-only Rugers are certainly out there. Good medium-sized Rugers include the Security Six, Police Service Six, Speed Six, and GP100.

While Colt made fine revolvers, I don't generally reccomend them to new or mildly-interested shooters because they are generally more expensive than a comparable S&W or Ruger and because Colt no longer produces DA revolvers. Because they're no longer produced, Colt DA revolvers no longer have factory support and gunsmiths familiar with their lockwork are becoming fewer and fewer. Also, because they are less common than Ruger an S&W revolvers, accessories for a Colt such as grips, holsters, and speedloaders are not as easy to find and often more expensive. With these limitations in mind, however, if one of the ladies still wants a Colt the the best .38 Spl models to look for would probably be the Police Positive Special, Official Police, Lawman, or Trooper.

Also, if one of the ladies happens to come across a good deal on a .357 Magnum, there's no reason not to buy it. As you probably already know, a .357 Magnum revolver can also fire .38 Special and .38 Special +P+ ammunition quite readily. Good .357 Magnum revolvers include the S&W Models 13, 19, 65, 66, 581, 586, 681, and 686, all of the above-mentioned Rugers, and Colt Lawman, Trooper, Python, Three-Five-Seven (forerunner to the Trooper) and King Cobra.

Wyosmith

Any good quality mid frame 38 (or 357 which could be loaded with any 38 spl ammo too) would do.
However, it the size or the recoil is too much for them, have them consider a good 40 S&W auto or a good 9mm auto. Autos are flatter and shorter and have 1/2 the kick of revolvers as a rule.

Webleymkv

However, it the size or the recoil is too much for them, have them consider a good 40 S&W auto or a good 9mm auto. Autos are flatter and shorter and have 1/2 the kick of revolvers as a rule.

While a semi-auto does soak up more recoil than a revolver, the recoil of a .38 Special from a 30+oz revolver is still rather mild and, in my experience, no worse than a comparable 9mm loading from a full-size semi-auto. .40 S&W, on the other hand, is rather snappy due to the size guns it's normally chambered in and will likely be harsher recoiling even than a .38 +P from a medium-frame revolver.

roaddog28

I would have too agree with others on the S&W K frame 38 special. Either a model 10,15,64 and 67. Any of these are good choices. A sleeper in this is a Ruger Police Service or Service Six. Ruger did make some 38 special runs on this revolver for police and security agencies. These usually can be bought for less that a S&W. They handle almost as well too.
Good luck,
Howard

Mastrogiacomo

A revolver in a .357 magnum caliber using 38's is mild: S&W 640, Ruger SP101, S&W 686 4", S&W 649, etc. A .38 caliber gun with weight will also make shooting mild: S&W model 10 4", S&W 64 3", etc. As mentioned, weight is your friend.

Laura

603Country

It might interest you to know my logic on suggesting a 38 revolver rather than a 357 Mag. Since they'd be shooting 38 loads (they didn't like the recoil of the 357's) the 357 Magnum wasn't needed. I believe, right or wrong, that a used 38 special revolver has less market worth than a 357 in the same frame and design, therefore a used 38 should be easier to get for a low price. From what I see, or think I see, in the used pistol marketplace a 38 just isn't something that a lot of people want. Right now it appears that most folks are into 9mm or 40mm and the various magnum revolvers - the bigger the better.

As for pushing them toward an affordable semi-auto, I didn't go that way because they really went for the simplicity of a SA/DA revolver.

aarondhgraham

My lady friend likes her Charter Arms Undercover,,,

She shoots it often,,,
The trigger improved a lot,,,
In my opinion it's a true sleeper.

Aarond

PawPaw

I've got an old-style Model 60 that my daughter-in-law really likes, so much so that she has it on semi-permanent loan. It's the old Model 60 that takes .38 special only, not the newer one that's been drilled for .357 magnum.

Pawpawsmod36_2.jpg

At 20 oz empty it's about the right weight for a good IWB holster and it served me well for two decades as a pocket pistol sans holster. She tried some loads in a Model 38 and said that the recoil was too snappy in the aluminum gun and the extra few ounces of steel helps to soak up the recoil. She's very happy with it.

Recently I obtained a Model 38, an older pinned version that I really like. My wife used it recently to qualify for her CCW permit and I'm on the hunt for another one like it.

Mod%2B38%2B02.jpg

It's hard to go wrong with a J-frame Smith. If I could find a nice nickeled Model 36 I'd have the hammer bobbed and be perfectly happy with it as a carry pistol.