Please help me pick a deer rifle and caliber.

Tallest

The Ruger has great features and is pretty cheap. Unless someone can show me a rifle in the same price range that fits my needs as well or better, I’m strongly leaning towards the Ruger.

And I wouldn't criticize that choice at all! The Ruger American Predators are GREAT guns! I've talked them up where I work to the point the LGS has sold 3 in addition to the ones I have bought.

Now... If Ruger would make the Predator in 7mm-08, with all the features the new model has, I would probably buy at least 2, if not 6 or 7!

Theohazard

MarkCO said:
Why might you want a .243 over a 6.5CM, or vice-versa?

At normal pressures, the 6.5CM barrel will last a little longer than the .243Win barrel. The 6.5CM has a better selection of match ammo for plinking at ranges past deer hunting range, but both are capable 1200yard calibers for just hitting steel and paper. The 6.5CM is decent for Elk, the .243 is marginal. The .243 has 30% less recoil. The .243 does better with light varmint rounds. With a .30 caliber can, the 6.5CM will be a little quieter than the .243, but the .243 will be more accurate with the suppressor (usually).
Thanks, Mark. This is great info. I like the idea of lower recoil with the .243. I’m not recoil-sensitive per se, I just enjoy having less recoil if I can get it without giving up too much in other areas. Also, I like the idea of having a cartridge that makes a great varmint rifle as well as a deer rifle, and it sounds like the .243 makes a better varmint rifle than a 6.5CM, while the 6.5CM is only marginally better than .243 as a medium-range deer rifle. Does that sound about right?

As far as their respective performance with a silencer, I don’t care too much which is quieter, but I like the extra margin of error when shooting a smaller caliber through a .30 cal silencer (currently my only .30 caliber silencer is an SDN-6, but I plan to get a Q Trash Panda for the lighter weight).

MarkCO said:
The differences are minor, but they are measurable. The biggest factor for me would be range...with the 143ELDx, I'd be fine shooting deer out to about 800 yards, with the .243, out to about 450 (given the perfect set up and conditions of course, which don't happen often). That is irrelevant if you plan on staying 400 and in.
I don’t see myself shooting deer at much over 200 yards. It sounds like at that distance and closer, the two calibers are pretty close when it comes to performance on deer. I know in theory the 6.5CM would get the nod, but am I correct that it wouldn’t be by much?

MarkCO said:
Oh yeah, when you get the .243 or 6.5CM, definitely get the AI mag version.

The .243Win is M#26972 and the 6.5CM is M#26973
Thanks for the heads-up!

Theohazard

Tallest said:
And I wouldn't criticize that choice at all! The Ruger American Predators are GREAT guns! I've talked them up where I work to the point the LGS has sold 3 in addition to the ones I have bought.
Yeah, I’m starting to get the feeling that my choice of the Ruger American Predator is the right one. Thanks!

MarkCO

Yes, if inside 200, you will never see a difference between 6mm and 6.5mm on deer, except the better chance of seeing the impact with the silencer attached. The .243 Predator sure seems to be the ticket for you.

I still want a long enough barrel to get good velocity out of the round.
My understanding is the length of a quality suppressor provides some additional velocity. Possibly not as much as normal barrel, but some. Going to be quite long.

I would also suggest consideration of the 6.5CM.

Theohazard

MarkCO said:
Yes, if inside 200, you will never see a difference between 6mm and 6.5mm on deer, except the better chance of seeing the impact with the silencer attached. The .243 Predator sure seems to be the ticket for you.
Awesome! Thanks again!

johnwilliamson062 said:
My understanding is the length of a quality suppressor provides some additional velocity. Possibly not as much as normal barrel, but some.
I’ve never done velocity testing myself, but the reports I’ve seen on suppressor boost are usually around 10 - 20 FPS with centerfire cartridges, and it doesn’t seem to correlate with the quality of the silencer. The equivalent length of barrel would provide a lot more velocity than that.

johnwilliamson062 said:
Going to be quite long.
Yeah, I might decide not to bother with the can, but I want it as an option.

TXAZ

My 6.5 Creedmoor is incredibly flat shooting. 5/5 hits on steel at 1000 yards (with a killer scope) :)

Tallest

My 6.5 Creedmoor is incredibly flat shooting. 5/5 hits on steel at 1000 yards (with a killer scope) :)

It seems that flat shooting would be counterintuitive for 1K yd shots. Flat trajectory is a product of high velocity, is it not? And the Creedmoor would want VLD (long, heavy) bullets for 1K. Unless your just stating that your hold over for 1K is minimal with the Creedmoor...?

Haha, bear with me, I’m still working to understand the subtleties of the 6.5wondermoor. ;)

Whistlebritches

I love the Ruger American.Mine is in 308.A fine caliber for deer under 200,I use mine out to 400.Also a fine caliber for varmints.....also out to 400.

I too haven't become enamored with the 6.5 CM.Either I'm missing something or it was never there........my gut says the latter.

Food for thought:
Another caliber for you're applications: 223.
Cartridge is recognized for legal Big Game Hunting in many States.
IMO: 223 would be slightly better suited for small game taking than either a 243 or 6.5 CM. As far as brand of rifle. That depends on how wide you're willing to open your wallet. Although I'm kind'a partial to Remington models myself.

Troy800

You made a good choice. Alot of cartridges would fit the bill but few have as many off the shelf choices as the 243. It has a long proven history. Ruger is a fine choice. I have a Tikka T3 and it is a tack driver wit 90 gr accubonds. It dont like hevier bullets but those accubonds dro whitetail in their tracks.

bamaranger

ammo

I think you're on the right track with the .243. The 6.5CM is all the rage these days, and is more cartridge than the .243, but I think the 6.5CM, at present has an Achilles heel. That weakness being that Creedmoor ammo is not as widely available as .243. Yes, it is out there, certainly more than just a short while ago, but .243 is widespread. Any place carrying ammo, will likely have some .243. I just don't see 6.5 on the shelves that much....yet anyhow. Sure, the gunshops have it, usually, but at this time .243 is nearly everywhere.

Lohman446

Bamaranger has a point. I had figured I would handload up something "special" for my TC Venture .243.

I sighted it in using Federal that was as simple as finding by turning around and picking it up off the shelf when I bought the gun (or at Wal-Mart) and then switched to Federal copper for hunting. Its sub MOA like TC claims it would be. I would guess in the hands of a good bench shooter you could get some pretty impressive groups out of it.

Tallest

Food for thought:
Another caliber for you're applications: 223.
Cartridge is recognized for legal Big Game Hunting in many States.
IMO: 223 would be slightly better suited for small game taking than either a 243 or 6.5 CM. As far as brand of rifle. That depends on how wide you're willing to open your wallet. Although I'm kind'a partial to Remington models myself.

Not a bad point! I have the RAP in that exact caliber, and, thought not a legal deer rifle in my state, I would feel completely confident using it as such. It's my favorite rifle for all around fun. In fact, I ordered another one Tuesday. Right now the one I have is set up for coyotes, groundhogs (for the warmer months), and a certain pillaging raccoon that has been raiding the in-laws bird feeders. So far he's proven elusive except for the wee hours of the morning. Ahem! I digress... the main thing will come down to the deer hunting laws in your state, but if they allow and you like it, I give the notion two thumbs up!

And to add to this consideration - ammo is inexpensive and readily available everywhere. You'll enjoy a nice long barrel life. Low recoil. Easily suppressed with subsonic ammo available from the factory. It has the best magazine system in the RAP line-up. 1/8 twist is very flexible for different load types. I could go on...

zipspyder

If OP is never going to hunt anything larger than deer then the .243 is a great choice. Not a big fan of the .223 but it will do the job.

I’ve never done velocity testing myself, but the reports I’ve seen on suppressor boost are usually around 10 - 20 FPS with centerfire cartridges, and it doesn’t seem to correlate with the quality of the silencer. The equivalent length of barrel would provide a lot more velocity than that.
I believe it has to do with construction method. Wipes obviously are at one end of the spectrum and an almost no clearance drilled tube at the opposite end(an expensive precision machined custom item approaching an integral suppressor).

reynolds357

Honestly, I would say anything within reason that falls between .243 Winchester and .300 Win Mag in caliber and energy. Then you have your outliers like your traditional lever action cartridges.
You can't go wrong with 270 win, .25-06, .243 Winchester, 6.5 creedmoor, 7-08, 308 Win, 30-06, 7 Rem mag, any of the WSM family, 7 Rem mag, 264 Win mag.

My current favorite is 6.5X284 Norma in a Savage predator.
My old go to is a mod 700 7Rum, but its wayyyyyy overkill.

Longshot4

The ruger American is a good rifle. The 243 has been around for many decades and so you should be able to find ammo easily. All of the rounds mentioned are fine for deer. The 308 is most common and heavier than needed in PA.

I like the 6mm Creedmoor because any one could handle the recoil and it is vary accurate will beyond 200 Yds. The 6mm C is the round of the future. Even a youngster or small women can handle it. So flinching should be minimal. After all it's hard to hit the target with your eyes closed (flinching).

edprof

.243 or .30-30 sound like good choices. Modest recoil, mild report, great ammunition availability. People buy heavier calibers, but they aren't really needed.

Theohazard

I was dead-set on the Ruger Predator until someome told me about the TC Compass. I’ve decided on .243 for the caliber, but now both rifles are interesting me and they both come in .243. They both fit my criteria, but here are the primary differences I see between those rifles:

-The TC has a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee with a 3-shot group and premium ammo, the Ruger doesn't (though I'm not sure how valuable this guarantee is in real life).

-The Ruger has a 1:9 twist, the TC a 1:10.

-The TC is a little bit heavier (about a half lb.).

-The Ruger has that wonkey safety lever on the trigger and the TC doesn’t. We have both a TC Venture and a regular Ruger American in the shop where I work, and the trigger on the TC feels a little better to me. I know they both can be adjusted, but I’m not sure I like the lever on the Ruger’s trigger.

-The Ruger accepts AI mags, the TC’s are proprietary.

-At employee pricing, the TC is about $75 cheaper for me. And on top of that, TC currently offers a $75 rebate on the Compass, so it would be $150 cheaper overall. That's a big difference considering money is pretty tight right now.

Here are my main thoughts on those differences:

1) It's nice to have an accuracy guarantee from TC in case the rifle I get happens to be a dud, but does Ruger's excellent customer service pretty much guarantee I'll get a rifle that will shoot as well, just without the official written guarantee?

2) The weight: Will I notice a half-pound difference in the field?

3) The trigger: I’ve never actually shot a Ruger. Is the trigger lever no big deal and something I’d quickly get used to?

4) The twist rate: Is the TC going to properly stabilize heavier deer loads? Is the Ruger going to spin lighter varmint loads too fast?

5) The mags: Is the easy availability of cheap AI-pattern mags in varying capacity a nice feature in a hunting rifle? I know mag availability is a nice feature in my ARs and handguns, but I’m not sure it’s much of an advantage here.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Last edited: