Please doublecheck beginner's rifle/scope choice

jmr40

I've seen no evidence supporting the Stevens is any more accurate.

With the Marlin you get a much better stock, piller bedding, a true short action vs the Savage hybrid action, the accurtigger which only comes on the much more expensive Savage rifles and better finished metal. Basically the same features as the Savage, but at the same price as the Stevens. And a better looking rifle than either.

The only problem is actually finding the Marlin.

I've seen no evidence supporting the Stevens is any more accurate.

With the Marlin you get a much better stock, piller bedding, a true short action vs the Savage hybrid action, the accurtigger which only comes on the much more expensive Savage rifles and better finished metal. Basically the same features as the Savage, but at the same price as the Stevens. And a better looking rifle than either.

The only problem is actually finding the Marlin.

The Stevens model does not need to be pillar bedded and it is already fully free floated. Not sure if the Marlin is floated or not. Even without being bedded, the Stevens/Savage is more accurate than the Marlin.

The Savage/Stevens does have a true Short Action or long action depending on the caliber. In the past they all used the same action, but not anymore...

crimsondave

I believe in Leupold, but I do not believe in the VX-I. I have one and it is not nearly the quality of the VX-IIs and up. Not even close. I would either upgrade to the VX-II, or if money is a problem find another brand.

In my book, the VX-II is the best bang for the buck scope. It has click adjustments, the VX-I does not. VX-II is a solid, one piece scope. VX-I is a two piece.

I'm not saying the Steven's 200 is a bad rifle because it's not. However, I don't see how you can really say it's more accurate than the Marlin. I've not shot them to compare but I've seen posts over and over along with reviews of the Marlin and they are getting great accuracy from it. This surprises me do to the price. I don't think accuracy is at all an issue with them as they seem to be accurate rifles. You also get a trigger similar to the accu trigger that you don't get on the Stevens 200. IMO if you were going to step up to a Savage/Stevens you'd be much better off going to Walmart and getting the Savage Model 10 for $384 or whatever it is with the accu trigger, the Simmons scope, and the sling. It's not that much more than a Steven's 200 and imo the accu trigger is well worth the extra. That being said from what I've read so far and I've read a lot of reports about the Marlin XL/XS-7 and I've not heard a single bad thing yet. The Savages/Stevens are great rifles too and I prefer them personally but that's just personal preference. I don't like the stock on the Marlins as well and that's the only thing I prefer about the Savage/Stevens. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

taylorce1

The Stevens model does not need to be pillar bedded and it is already fully free floated. Not sure if the Marlin is floated or not. Even without being bedded, the Stevens/Savage is more accurate than the Marlin.

Personal opinion or do you have any proof? I have a feeling jmr40 is right. I've never seen anything out there to say one is more accurate than the other. Speaking from experience with a Stevens 200 their factory trigger is not the very good unless you tune it or replace it and their stock is barely functional at best.

Just from experience shooting unmodified Marlins and Stevens rifles. I found the Stevens to be more accurate than the Marlins. I don't have any statistical data if that's what you want...

Dr. Strangelove

I've been shooting two VX-1's for the better part of a year now. Frankly, I just don't see enough difference between them and my cheaper scopes to justify the cost difference.

I don't have any specific issues with the scopes, I just have been.. underwhelmed. I don't care for the friction adjustments, and they just don't seem any better in any category than any of my old cheapies.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
With typical off-the-rack rifle barrel lengths, there is little difference in performance between .308 and .30-'06. The .30-'06 does best with barrels of 24 to 26 inches.

For a handloader with a 26" barrel, the '06 can run about 300 ft/sec faster than the usual 20" or 22" .308. This is particularly true with bullets of 180 grains or more in weight.

From a practical standpoint in hunting, a 26" '06 is right at the same as a .300 Win Mag with a 22" barrel--except less recoil. Elbert Elk won't ever know the difference.

.308 or '06: A 00 Buck for a squirrel load; 80- or 110-grain for varmints, and 150 for Bambi. They're right at equal, as near as makes no nevermind.

jmr40

Precision Shooter,

Pillar bedding and free floating are 2 different things. The Marlin has aluminum sleeves that the action screws fit inside of to get a tighter fit between stock and action. Without them the cheaper plastic stocks compress when the action screws are tightened. Both rifles have free floated barrels.

On the action length. Savage/Stevens uses a very non-standard action size. Yes, they offer 2 sizes, but if you measure the length of the ejection port on a short action Savage you will find it is less than 1/8" shorter than everyone elses long action. Their long action rifles are insanely long. So much so that it is difficult to mount all but the longest, heaviest scopes. Special extension rings are often needed.

I haven't shot a Marlin yet, but all reports I have read indicates it will match the Savage rifles, for less money. I have ahd several Savage and Stevens rifles. They are not a bad gun, but for my money I'll be buying a Marlin soon. Even though I really have no need for another rifle.

fisherman66

The Burris Fullfield II is probably the best bang fer the buck scope, but the VX-II is solid and worth kicking in the extra money for too. I've never used a Nikon, but I can't recall reading a bad review.

Personally, I'd go for a used rifle. If recoil is a concern you might want to consider 7-08, 7x57, 6.5x55, 260, 257 Roberts or other mild cartridges. A wood stock will be a little heavier as a general rule and reduce felt recoil. Happy rifle/scope hunting.

grubbylabs

I bought a new Marlin XS7 in 308 and I love it. I also bought a Vortex 4-12X40 scope.

You can find cheap 308 ammo.

I paid 329 for the rifle and 140 for the scope. So I am 469 into my rifle.

Only two boxes of ammo but I really like it so far. The trigger is awesome.

tacticalj

I think you could save some money on your scope and get everything out of it that you want. Luepold's are pretty good, but there are alot of other cost effective scopes that are as good or better in glass then the entry level Luepold. You basically pay more because it says Luepold on it. Don't get me wrong, they're good scopes, but if your on a budget, then you have more money for ammo to learn to shoot the thing.

The calibers you chose for what you want to do will work fine. I don't own a 308, nor have i shot one. I use a 7mm Remington Magnum, better ballistics. However, the 308 ammo is more abundant and ussually cheaper! Savage, Marlin, Remington, etc, all make good rifles. Get what you can afford and then shoot it, alot. Get used to it and research your ballistics, especially if you plan to shoot out past 2-300 yards.