Please doublecheck beginner's rifle/scope choice

Sriracha

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting my first centerfire rifle and scope for hunting. I'll learn the basics by hunting small game with a Ruger 10/22, but I do want a centerfire for practice and in case I get the chance to hunt with friends.

Goal: deer, possibly hogs
Budget: Around $600 for gun, scope, rings, etc.
Cartridge: Prefer .308 (medium recoil) over .30-06 or .270

Tentatively, I'm thinking of the following:
Marlin XS-7 in .308 ~$300
Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm ~$230

What do you folks think of this choice? The Marlin "feels right" on my shoulder with its 14" length of pull. Would I be better served by looking for a used rifle? Is it worth $70 more to upgrade to a VX-II scope for an entry-level rifle?

Thanks for your feedback,
Sriracha

Te Anau

Tentatively, I'm thinking of the following:
Marlin XS-7 in .308 ~$300
Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm ~$230
That should be a fine combo as long as the scope is clear.My brother-in-laws new Leupold (model ???) isn't as clear or sharp as my new Hawke.The rifle should be an excellent choice...if you can find one in .308 :mad:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I don't see how there's much recoil difference between the .308 and the other two. Near-same bullet weights for all three; near-same muzzle velocities--or as close as makes no nevermind.

I'm not at all saying there's anything "wrong" with the .308, understand.

Recoil would be a tad less with the 7mm08, and for deer and hogs it would be equally effective.

The main thing is that the rifle fits your body. Length of pull; cheek weld allowing a natural alignment with the sights. If you hold the pistol grip in firing position with your arm bent 90 degrees, the butt should at most just touch your bicep. Mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes, you should be looking right through the sights or through where the scope will be, without moving your head.

taylorce1

Not a bad choice in firearm and scope. However, as Art mentioned there will not be much difference in recoil between the .308 and the .30-06 or .270. The .308 will kill everything you want to hunt so no flies on it as your cartridge choice.

The scope will work but if you stepped up to a VXII you would be better off. I use a VXI and it will work but I just like the adjustments and the clarity of the VXII better and think you would be miles ahead to invest the additional $$$ to step up. If I could all my hunting scopes would be VX3 scopes in 1.75-6X32 and 2.5-8X36 I'd be very happy as these are my favorites out of all the Leupold scopes I own.

Legionnaire

Would I be better served by looking for a used rifle? Is it worth $70 more to upgrade to a VX-II scope for an entry-level rifle?
Not a bad combo at all, but yes, I think you'd be better served looking for a used rifle; more "bang for the buck" so to speak. And I agree with others that you can do better than a VX-I ... and that from a Leupold fan.

There are excellent deals out there if you scrounge around for them. Couple years ago, I picked up an unfired, early 90s manufacture, Remington 700 BDL in .30-06, complete with a nice Redfield 3-9X scope ... for $450. Even with a couple of years worth of inflation, you should be able to find a very nice rifle/scope combination for well under your $600 budget, and you'll get more for your money in the second-hand market.

HiBC

I actually have never looked at a Marlin VX-7 or a VX-1.Nothing wrong with a .308

For myself,given what you have said you want to use it for,There would be nothing wrong with a Leupold fixed power 4X.

Its a cost-simplicity-reliability thing.I can spend a lot of money and get a high quality complex thing that does everything with bells and whistles.

But if I am on a budget,an excellent simple thing that gets the job done might be a better choice.

Thats just me.Congratulations,and have fun with whatever you get!!

golfballshootr

Not a bad combo and I would lean towards the used gun, you can likely pick it up cheaper and use the leftover to upgrade to the VXII. I am a Leopold fan, but by buying everything from the Rifleman up to the VXL, the VXII is a good entry and you will be happy with the clarity, if you want to spend more, by all means, step up to the VX3.

I wouldn't get that scope but excellent choice on the gun. I'd either step up to at least a Leupold VX-II or go with something else. A Burris Fullfield II or Vortex Diamond back are much better scopes in the same price range as the Leupold VX-I.

LukeA

Last year I found a .30-06 Remington 700SPS with a VX-1 on it for $500.

Comparing that VX-1 to my Sightron S1 scope, if I was going to buy again, I would save half the money and get the Sightron. Looking through, I honestly can't tell the difference between the Sightron (a 32mm objective) and the Leupold (a 40mm objective).

fast-eddie

You can find a nice rifle use and scoped rifle if you shop around a bit, much nicer than the Marlin.

I here that they're excellent rifles though, this combo would serve you well in the field.

smith357

I would look for a nice used rifle with a scope, you can get a whole lot more rifle for your $600 if you buy a used one.

Last year I found a .30-06 Remington 700SPS with a VX-1 on it for $500.

Comparing that VX-1 to my Sightron S1 scope, if I was going to buy again, I would save half the money and get the Sightron. Looking through, I honestly can't tell the difference between the Sightron (a 32mm objective) and the Leupold (a 40mm objective).
Yeah I had the Leupold and in 2 years of use had to send it into Leupold for repair twice. That coupled with the fact I couldn't tell a difference clarity wise between it and a $30 Tasco. I had a few friends look to make sure it wasn't my eyes and they all said the Tasco looked clearer to them. That made me really wonder why I even paid so much for the Leupold when it clearly had to be sent in for repair anyway 2 times in 2 years. Then I bought a Burris Fullfield II that was slightly cheaper and it's amazing how much clearer it is. It looks great in the daylight and looks super clear even in low light. It's the clearest scope I've ever owned and a lot clearer than the VX-I in my opinion. This coupled with it being cheaper and having held up for 2 hunting seasons and still works fine makes me think it's a far superior scope to the Leupold.

Sriracha

Thanks for the tips. I'll continue to look for some used rifles deals for a few more weeks, and I'll definitely look into that Burris scope as well.

What Art says about the small difference in recoil between .308 and .30-06 and .270 gets me thinking. I may still get the .308 if I find deals on cheap(er) military surplus ammunition, but otherwise, perhaps the .30-06 may be better because of its versatility. Hmmmm. Need to try one out....

In the end, perhaps if I find a good deal on a used rifle, it will influence the choice of cartridge.

Thanks everyone,
Sriracha

riggins_83

All my optics are Leupold VX-II. Having said that, I think the VX-I is a terrible scope for the money.

Around that same range a Burris FullField II or a Nikon Buckmasters are clearer and brighter.

taylorce1

What Art says about the small difference in recoil between .308 and .30-06 and .270 gets me thinking. I may still get the .308 if I find deals on cheap(er) military surplus ammunition, but otherwise, perhaps the .30-06 may be better because of its versatility. Hmmmm. Need to try one out....

There isn't any more versatility in a .30-06 vs .308 unless you are willing to invest in reloading equipment and even then the difference isn't much. If all you are buying is factory ammunition you will not see any difference. The .308 really only falls behind the .30-06 with bullets heavier than 200 grains, and if you are going to shoot bullets that heavy then the magnum cartridges are a better choice anyway.

You will be hard pressed to find a decent used rifle for less money than the XS or XL7. Most of the new Marlins are selling around $300, and any of my good hunting rifles you would have to shell out more than that if you wanted to buy any off of me even my old Win M94. Most used rifles will start out near $400 even for an old Savage 110 or Remington 700 ADL.

jmr40

I like your choices. I like short actions and either the 308 or 7-08 would be fine. I would spend the extra for the VX-2 if you can afford it. I don't think the VX-1's or even the Rifleman scopes are as bad as some complain about. No, they are not as clear as some other scopes, but they are plenty good enough and have other advantages that are often overlooked.

riggins_83

For the same money I'd go with a Stevens 200 308 and a Burris FullField II or Nikon Buckmasters scope.

The Stevens 200 has proven itself more accurate than the Marlin XS-7. I know target accuracy isn't a big issue with hunting rifles but why pay the same for less accuracy?

Also there are a lot more things available for the Stevens 200 if you want to upgrade over time (stocks, triggers, etc).