Pistol grip Only POLL

Have you tried a PGO grip and do you still use it...

• I have tried it but do not use it.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I have tried it and do still use it.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I have tried it but removed it and got rid of it.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • I have tried it but removed it still have it though.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I have never tried but would like to.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I have never tried it, won't try it.

Votes: 15 14.4%

• Total voters

Dave_Shotgun

In the world of plastic stocked Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s the terms "pistol grip" and "pistol grip only" may have become synonymous, but they are not in the realm of sporting and target shotguns. The term "pistol grip" goes way back and was initially used to distinguish grip stocks from classic straight, or English, stocks. The majority of shotguns sold in the US are of the "pistol grip" style. With tactical specific shotguns came the introduction of "detached pistol grip" and "pistol grip only" stocks. To avoid confusion, when using the term "pistol grip" remember to include "detached (or full)" or "only" as applicable, otherwise you're talking about a conventional stock.

Thank you for clarifying this zippy. I am very new to shotguns and I thought that PG and PGO basically meant the same thing (that the shotgun had no stock, only a handgun type grip). Detachable pistol grip looks really cool so you can have the best of both worlds. :)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Zippy is absolutely correct. But I don't specify the difference in a straight english style and a regular ol' pistol grip standard wooden/synthetic stock. For sake of simplicity I refer to a PGO as that of what we all know it to be and a pistol grip stock as the AR type. This is because at least 50% of the folks who find this section are quite new to all the shotguns in general. Of those many are going to get advise and/or opinion even if they do not ask for it. Since the english style straight stock is quite limited in the realm of modern shotguns I doubt many are runnin out lookin' for one to fit their "Mossy" splatter gun.
The second stock in your row of 3 is the one I prefer for HD/SD and hunting.
Thanks for pointing it out though...
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
PBG, I shoulda made a place for "Bought, never used and is in the parts bin somewhere..."
Mine is here somewhere I think...
Brent

LouPran

My HD Tactical shotgun is a Remington 870 MarineMagnum with a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing PG stock and padded butt.

It's a tank.

Even with heavy loads like 3" Magnum 00 Buck it's a creampuff to shoot held PG only.

I believe it's a combination of the weight and the recoil reducing design. Either way ... My 100lb daughter can shoot it.

The Knoxx stocks work like a charm.

Chuckusaret

I like the Mossberg 500 12 ga 20" barrel Crusier. The PG instead of the butt stock makes it easier to navigate thru house in the event a BG would be dumb enough to break into my house. I had all the after market junk on it at one time but made it to clumsy for HD. I had the barrel ported to reduce barrel rise and reduce recoil. Barrel rise was reduced but can't notice much difference in the recoil, but I shoot mostly 00 buck and rifled slugs.

Last edited:

amd6547

Here is my HD Mossberg blunderbuss...
P1000677.jpg

Sixer

"you are as apt to confront a BG as in the open and it is still easier to get your gun from you..."

Not if he's got a slug in him :)

USMCGrunt

One of my 870s is a Wingmaster with the factory top-folding stock and yes, I've tried shooting it with the stock folded PGO-style. I was not impressed. It was harder to control and hitting anything with it was far more difficult than shooting it with the stock extended. I still have that stock on my 870 and it works great for making it a smaller compact package. However, when it comes to actually shooting it, the stock is extended and put to use the way it was designed.

OLNfan

Ive got a mossberg 500 tatical pursader and its got he pistol grip retractable stock and I shoot it all the time with out using the stock/one handed for fun and other than thaat, If im strictly shooting at a target ill use my stock up against my shoulder which is like 95% of the time unless im showing off or playing around hah.

lmccrock

No hallway in my house is small enough for me to want one, although I did try a PGO once and it is limited in handling. If you end up needing a longer shot where actual aiming is necessary, the full stock is invaluable. I can see the value in a pg stock w.r.t. retention but I do not have one of those, either.

Lee

2edgesword

My only shotgun experience is a Mossberg 500 with a Knoxx reduced recoil PG. I'm 5'6" 150lbs and found the recoil very managable.

As far as accuracy, 39 out of 40 rounds center of mass out to 25 yards point shooting from just under the shoulder adjacent to my right pectoral (the one miss was at 15 yards, slightly high and to the left).

I think the two critical factors in making the decision with respect to your set-up are intended application and practice. My intended application is HD, very likely in low light and close range. My practice will be low light and close range. Other then this type of application I can't see having a PGO shotgun.

BigJimP

PGO shotguns are right up there - with some of the clothes I wore in the 60's and the 70's ( and I hope my mother burned those pictures ...).

They seemed like a hell of a good idea at the time .... / but not so much, these days ...