Pistol for wife?

drail

Cheap versus reliable? No contest. Honestly though I have seen some very expensive guns fail at the worst possible time. Letting her handle different guns is good but she really needs to be able to fire one before she decides. Just holding it doesn't really tell you all that much. Most women usually start out with one type of gun and then switch to something else before they're happy. Just like the guys.

JC57

WV_gunner, I'm with you on the issue of money, budget is pretty tight here too. Why not just let her have one of your existing pistols to "call her own" and you can get her something different for Christmas?

In the affordable semi-auto pistol category, here are a few ideas just in 9mm (which is the most affordable round to shoot unless you reload):

Keltec PF-9
Keltec P-11

Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro
Bersa BP9CC

Kahr CW-9
Kahr CM-9

Ruger P-95
Ruger LC9
Ruger SR9 annd SR9c

I think all of those listed come in somewhere between 280-ish and 500-ish out the door, depending on your local dealer prices.

Several of those models are also available in a .40 S&W variety and a few come in .45, though the .45s tend to run a bit more and are definitely more expensive to shoot.