Pistol for wife?

WV_gunner

I'm on a budget and looking to get my wife a pistol for Christmas. The Kel-tec guns seem to be a decent option. Looking at pf-9 or p-11. I'm also considering a Rock Island 1911. My goal is to buy a cheap, yet still reliable gun. I know some of the cheaper guns aren't liked by some, just because they are cheap. As long as there's quality, I don't mind one bit if it's cheap. For instance, I have an RG .22 and love it. And recoil is no big deal for, she enjoys shooting my .357 mag and has no issues. So even if I get her a .45 ACP she will be fine. Another question, anyone know where to get a pmr-30? Or read any reviews atleast?
She is new to guns a little, but I'm not. I am however new to semi-auto pistols.

TunnelRat

Have you tried bringing her to a shop and having her try holding a number of guns to see what might be up her alley?

Auto426

I agree with TunnelRat. Usually the best method of acquiring a handgun for a woman is to let them pick it themselves.

chris in va

Best thing you can do is take her to a place that rents guns and hand over the debit card.:cool:

You may be surprised at her choice. My GF liked my glock 21sf the best.

TunnelRat

Agreed. Women are surprisingly adept at knowing what they want when it comes to firearms. The more she likes the feel of it the more she will want to shoot it too.

CreightonE

I think that is a good plan for any shooters. Go to a range that rents and shoot around a little.

I have had the actual shooting change my mind a couple times when all my internet research had me feeling one way headed into the gun shop.

$50 in rentals and ammo is a small "test fee" when you are spending $500+ on an item you will have for life. Some shops will refund some of the rental fee if you buy from them too.

JC57

My wife likes revolvers, no matter what I try to do to change her mind. K-frames or bigger. She can shoot a J-frame OK but prefers a large, all-steel gun.

When I took her gun shopping once, hoping she might find something smaller (so she'll actually carry more often), the only gun she asked to see was the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 mag. I gave up after that.

So yeah, she's going to have to make up her own mind. Just remember that women are just as bad as men when it comes to picking out the "right" gun - seems like it takes about 4 or 5 (or 10) tries until you find something you not only can shoot well but can also figure out a good way to carry regularly.

Let her decide.

If you have friends with handguns, ask them to let her try them out. This should include both revolvers and pistols.

Oldjarhead

Get her two hours of private range time with a female private instructor. Have her bring different guns in carry calibers. The instructor should have a good idea what is needed. Let your wife try them out and see what works for her. Stop thinking cheap. Her life and piece of mind are more important. Get a quality gun. Then get some real training, if both of you carry concealed, or just want a home defense gun.

Coltman 77

Oldjarhead is spot on with this post.

"Get her two hours of private range time with a female private instructor. Have her bring different guns in carry calibers. The instructor should have a good idea what is needed. Let your wife try them out and see what works for her. Stop thinking cheap. Her life and piece of mind are more important. Get a quality gun. Then get some real training, if both of you carry concealed, or just want a home defense gun."

Your wife needs handgun training and shooting experience before she chooses a sidearm.

If your local gunshop doesn't offer such a program with qualified instructors there are plenty of other options.

The NRA, for example, has a great program for new lady shooters called " Women On Target" taught by only female instructors. Try to find one for your wife.

Cost is about $20.00 which includes 4hrs. classroom and 4 hrs. range time with one instructor per new shooter, all ammo and an assortment of pistols and revolvers.

The NRA really does some great work, btw if one values their 2nd Amendment Rights they absolutely need to be a member.

The cost to join is about the same price as a box of range ammo. :)

Here's a link : http://www.nrahq.org/women/isc/index.asp

WV_gunner

As far as I know, there isnt any ranges around here that rent guns. And she wouldn't pick out an expensive gun, we don't have much money. It's gonna take me months to save to buy this gun as it is. She doesn't need a handgun training course, and she has a decent amount of shooting experience. She's only been shooting for about a year but has shot a couple hundred rounds in that time I'm sure. She's pretty decent. And around here handgun classes are not too cheap. The cheapest I've seen them are $65 but I've seen them over $100 too. Around here, a handgun training class is all that's really required to buy a ccw permit so the prices are a bit high. But regardless, she doesn't need a class. She can operate and accurately shoot every gun I own. I just want her to have something that she can call her own. We are going to Cabella's in Wheeling in a few weeks, while I'm there I plan on buying a holster for my gun. But you guys got me thinking, so I'm gonna look at the pistols there and let her handle them but without her knowing I'm buying her for Christmas. I want it to be a surprise.

pax

Is she currently a shooter? If so, how experienced a shooter is she?

What would be the purpose of the firearm? What would she want to use it for?

pax

ClydeFrog

My input, George Z...

The "I'm buying a gun for my; wife/girlfriend/cousin/hair-dresser/etc" topics are common.
1st, I'd take her to a rental range or local gun club & let her fire a few pistols and DA revolvers.
She may not have the dexterity or hand strength to safely work a firearm(semi auto pistol).
For a new, entry level gun owner, I'd buy a simple DA only 5 shot .38spl +P like a Taurus Protector, a S&W 442/642/638 or a Ruger LCR.
You can add a CT lasergrip too to aid skill training-aiming.

As her handgun skills, safety improve, then she could move up to a semi-auto pistol. Many great compact designs are out there. Don't go "cheap" either. Is your wife's safety & welfare something you want to cut corners on?

A recent media report showed that George Zimmerman had a Kel-tec model 9x19mm pistol & used that weapon in the Martin incident.
I have no bias against Kel-Tec firearms but that brand isn't the same as Beretta, Glock, HK, S&W, Ruger, etc.
If you or your wife really want a semi-auto pistol in a med-cost range, see the M&P Shield, the top rated S&W SD9 or SD40(a well made DA only polymer pistol), the Ruger SR9c or SR40c(compact versions of the popular SR line), the Beretta Nano 9x19mm, or the SIG Sauer P224, P290.
A simple, robust pistol in .40 or 9x19mm can be safe to carry & easy to clean/care for.

ClydeFrog
www.jgsales.com www.crimsontrace.com www.ruger.com www.berettausa.com

marano

the very first thing you should do....

is make sure SHE wants a gun for CHRISTMAS. Some women, most women would be extremely disappointed if you bought em a gun for christmas, they might not tell ya but they would just the same.

dondavis3

Let her shoot a lot of different guns

And let her pick out her own gun

or it will never be really her gun.

My wife just stole this gun from me - after she shot it

S&W M&P 9c

SWMP9C2.jpg

:cool:

TailGator

As said, she definitely needs to pick her own pistol out, and as Pax pointed out, the selection may well vary with purpose.

My daughter wanted a home defense and range pistol, and picked out the Beretta PX4 Compact in 9 mm. The rotating barrel decreases recoil significantly, the grip has a nice ergonomic shape and three backstraps of various sizes, and the pistol is admirably accurate right out of the box. It is also an easy pistol to field strip. I got it for her for a graduation present, and we got it in for just a smidgen under $500 - a good value, I thought. It is worth having on your list if it suits your intended purpose.

GaryOlson

As others have said:
Don't choose for your wife. Find a woman led and instructed all day Introduction to Pistols training class for her. Let her rent a pistol for a day of which she likes the fit and feel. But also send along a couple of your smaller pistols for educational purposes. If the instructor is worth her ammo, she'll point out the good and bad points of all the pistols, watch how your wife handles herself, and help her make the choice that works best for her.

And, your encouragement that whatever she chooses you will support, and fix and clean, is critical.

She was happy with the Walther PK380; and for the discerning woman the PK380 comes in pink composite. Send the upper out for an NP3 coating if she really needs the bling.
My female shopper also liked the H&K 9mm. At least she has good taste.

Gary

WV_gunner

So you guys got me thinking. Plan is to for sure go to Cabella's look at a bunch of guns to just do so. Let her handle them too and try to find one she likes the most without her figuring out what I'm doing. I've got into looking at prices, the cheaper of the better guns aren't all that expensive. Didn't realize the $400-$600 range had so many great options.
In case she were to like S&W SD, are those any good?