Pistol belt?

KyJim

The advantage of a decent gun belt over an ordinary belt is the support it gives the holster. Instead of sagging outward, the gun is held close to the body. While a gun belt helps even with IWB, I can really tell the difference in OWB carry. I can also tell a difference in heavier guns. If I'm carrying a 1911, a gun belt makes all the difference in the world. If I carry my SW 637 J-frame Airweight, then a department store leather belt may be enough (especially IWB).

I can also tell a difference the longer I carry during the day and if I am even minimally active. If I'm simply walking to my car, driving to work, and walking to my office, a good belt is not as critical. If I'm walking outside or walking around Walmart, a gun belt makes a big difference.

And to answer the OP's questions. I have an elephant dress belt from The Beltman and more of an everyday belt from D.M. Bullard. I like them both.

Malamute

Have several that get used a fair bit. An older Lawrence for the 29,

IMG_1299.jpg

and an old Hunter for the 45 (after it streched out past 44 usefulness). I hand re-stitched it once, tightened up the cartridge loops pretty well.

IMG_1158.jpg

This one I had made for the 45-70. Good summer rig on the mountain.The leather isn't as heavy or tight grained as it should be, but it's done ok over about 20 years.

8997fae0.jpg

Have a nice, heavy grade plain Lawrence belt that gets used for the 19 some. No pics of it.

Last edited:

saspic

I use the Wilderness Instructor Belt Combat Shooter's Model with velcro sewn to the inside. I use the velcro V-clips for my Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. holsters.
It is stiff as heck.

If I throw my pants on the bed, they don't fall flat, they stay up in a round shape due to the strength of the belt. Looks like the invisible man is in there.
The only drawback is it's a surprisingly thin belt, but the velcro helps to fill it out and adds padding.

All this for about, I think, $65, and it will last for years and years.

Stiofan

I've got a couple of Cabelas double thick belts, one in black and the other in brown. Had them about two years now, wear one or the other each day, both are as good as new.

They are stiff, but you get used to it that way. They don't roll or break down, and the price is right, especially now, $25.

wally626

Just ordered a bullhide 1.5 inch from the belt man. Looks like a really nice belt. My current belt is a 1.5 inch single layer leather, which is a good belt but is starting to sag after only occasional carry with my Glock 22. The belt should be here in time for Christmas, along with a new IWB holster from the Bulldog leather company.

LHB1

The difference between a dept store belt of soft leather and a gun belt from quality holster/belt maker is the stiffness of the latter. This stiffness prevents a quality gunbelt from sagging badly and doubling over on itself like a soft belt. The better belts are cut from the spine area of selected hides where the leather is much stiffer. A belt cut from the lower belly portion of the same hide would be much softer. Such soft leather is not used for a gunbelt by the better quality makers. IME, Lou Alessi, Milt Sparks (Tony Kanaley), and Josh Bulman all provide top quality holsters and gunbelts. BE SURE to match the width of belt to holster. It is best to get holster and belt from same maker as one maker's 1.5" belt may not fit another maker's 1.5" holster due to differences in actual width, thickness, and style (skived edges or square edges).

jgcoastie

My instructor belt has held up well for the past few years... Even with my G20SF and 2-3 mags, light, and bear spray, it does just fine. I got mine free with a pair of boots I ordered a few years back. Not bad for a free belt.

Don P

I won't be going Beltman. More than I'm willing to spend.

As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for" I have one and it was/is worth the investment. It will last as long as a quality holster.

ming

I also got to go with Beltman. It's the best belt I own. For those that don't want to pay the price right now I'd suggest looking at the LA Tactical Gear web site. I picked up a pretty nice 1.5" belt there with the purchase of a $29 pair of 5.11 pants. The belt was free! Nice pair of pants + nice belt for this price is hard to beat. Couldn't pick the style belt but they sent me a black one which suited me just fine.

swinokur

+1 on The Beltman.

Being somewhat of a noob at all of this, I measured for my Beltman as per his instructions. It's fine for an OWB holster but when I got my Supertuck, I wished I had ordered a belt maybe 1 size or 2 larger. When using my Supertuck, I have to put my belt on the second hole rather than the 3rd or 4th as I do when using an OWB holster. Not a huge issue, but if I had it to do again, that's what I would do. I wish the Beltman had instructions on his website about sizing for different styles of carry.

Obviously not his fault, but it may have jogged my mind a bit before ordering.

I'll know better next time but his belts are so good, there may not be a next time !

;)

dmazur

I have a Galco belt, and I agree the support is better. However, I also have to carry a few things that clip over a belt, and I found out the Galco double thickness belts are too thick.

So, I use any heavy duty, single thickness belt with decent hardware. Stiched buckle, not snapped. Horsehide better than cowhide. Stiff leather, but not necessarily thick.