Pink Pistols in the news

BigMikey76

I am all for any organization that promotes the responsible exercise of 2A rights.
I have heard the argument before that they shouldn't have to bring their sexuality into the gun conversation, but I actually see it as an important statement for them to make; they are working to remove the stigma that homosexuals are easy targets, and at the same time increasing the acceptance of guns ownership as a viable option within the gay community. These are both laudable goals, and can only be achieved by making it clear that they are gay.

Sawyer.N

good for them. Glad they have developed the awareness that whistles, cell phones, or traveling in groups will not save their lives, but having a firearm and knowing how and when to use it probably will.

dakota.potts

They use their sexual orientation in political conversation for good reason. Gun rights groups have a reputation for being old, white Christian conservative males. That's just the stereotype of who we are. By making it specifically about another diverse community (the LGBTQ+ community as a whole) they are asserting their equal rights under the 2nd and 14th amendments and making the point that it is not just the stereotypes who want to protect that right. Looking at the last 10 years or so, the percentage of people who identify as liberals who own guns is increasing, as are gun owning women and people of other minority status. This is a good thing. It helps protect our rights as a whole and not as a partisan issue.

They also have a strong argument to make in regards to the 2nd amendment. It was codified not only to protect the individual but the state and community. Given that they claim a separate community which is known to come under attack of hate crime for its way of life, they have a very strong argument that an effective interpretation of the 2nd amendment is a defense for not just the individual but the community as a whole.

briandg

There are at least two other common stereotypes of gun owners.

Many people see us as crazy thugs,bambi killers,dangerous people who carry guns because they are looking for trouble.

The other that I imagine is the young punk. Maybe non white, probably tattooed,unconventional dresser, unusual mannerisms like throwing gang signs. If the average citizen is sitting in a diner near a group of rowdy young guys and spots a shoulder holster, there may be a 911 call.

Decent people speaking out for us or joining us is the only way we build a reputation of good people.

briandg

I have a literal gay neighbor. Really like the guy. dances ballet, practices Thai Kwan do. He also keeps a 1911 at his bedside. It's not pink.

SIGSHR

Some people need to be more discreet in discussing private matters. Talking about one's bedroom preferences is not the same as talking about a favorite handgun or hunting rifle.

briandg

I have noticed that most people around here at least don't go to a shooting range and talk about much.

Why would a guy want to do that anyway? Mostly, people tend to discuss things like that around sympathetic people, rather than wasting time and energy talking to people who have no desire to do so.

Nobody at a shooting range has ever told me that my toyota sucks, but Lord help me when I show up with thunderbolt ammo. Yes, they may have steel cased stuff in their rifle, but "thunderbolt sucks".

dakota.potts

Some people need to be more discreet in discussing private matters. Talking about one's bedroom preferences is not the same as talking about a favorite handgun or hunting rifle.

In this case, it's actually significant. Gun owners and advocates have a diversity problem, at least in how we're viewed. There is a very real perception that gun ownership is for only one type (or a small range) of people and not for everybody.

Groups like the Pink Pistols are saying "We are not the typical gun owner and we may not even vote for typically pro-gun parties but we want representation to protect our second amendment rights as well." Making a point of who they are is an important part of the mission. Groups like Pink Pistols and Black Guns Matter are doing important work to help our rights be understood and appreciated by everybody.

tipoc

It sounds like there may be a mistaken impression going on that some seem to have that those in the Pink Pistols go to the range to talk about sex. I don't know a whole lot about them but I don't think that, that is true of them any more than any other group of people who get together to go shooting.

They state their purpose on their website:

“Thirty-one states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. “

–Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

http://www.pinkpistols.org/about-the-pink-pistols/

Here is the statement of aims from the San Jose chapter:

Begun in 2006, the San Jose Pink Pistols came into existence to encourage, educate and train the LBGT community for Self Defense.

San Jose Pink Pistols welcomes everyone comfortable with diversity.

San Jose Pink Pistols emphasizes firearms safety, skills development and conviviality.

We are a friendly, informal group of shooting enthusiasts with a reserved range event on the 4th Sunday of each month and a shared outreach beginner shooting event on the 2nd Saturday of each month..

The San Jose Municipal 10th street range is our "home range", it is at 1580 South 10th Street, San Jose California 95112.

https://www.meetup.com/San-Jose-Pink-Pistols/

They have chapters around the country from Ala. to Michigan, to Colo. to California and more.

http://www.pinkpistols.org/find-a-local-chapter/

I started this thread because I think they set a good example of defending the second amendment and their rights to self defense. I think many here could learn from them. They are clear and open in their objectives. They explain themselves well and honestly, they recruit others to shooting. They reach out for allies.

This thread isn't about folks opinions on being gay. It's about an ally in the defense of the Bill of Rights.

tipoc

It sounds like there may be a mistaken impression going on that some seem to have that those in the Pink Pistols go to the range to talk about sex.
I taught a few sessions for them in Atlanta in the early 2000's. Gender and sexual politics weren't an issue. They were there to learn self-defense, and everybody had that as common ground.

(The closest we came was when I referred to a shooter as "ma'am" and asked if that was correct. It was. Good. Now bring that knee forward a bit. Bend the elbow. There ya go.)

At the time, they were loosely organized and couldn't seem to hold together. I'm very glad to see they've become larger and more cohesive.

SIGSHR

Some people are indiscreet and opinionated-look at how many heated discussions we have here-and some people think their personal opinions and desires are Gospel Truth. Also a number of people I am in contact with, in person and on boards have found that for some people their sexuality is the be all and end of their existence and the main topic of their conversation. And most violence against that group comes from their own kind.
While it is fun to engage in conversation on a variety of topics I think keeping
conversation to the matter at hand-here and on the range-makes things go more smoothly.

tipoc

I think honest folks can disagree without being rude or derogatory. It's a valuable tool and something worth fighting for.

In general this is true. But no one here is speaking of "private matters" or of "bedroom preferences".

There used to be a lot more shooting clubs than there are today. I've worked in factories with over 5,000 workers on the floor and we used to have bowling leagues, boaters clubs, fishing clubs, shooting clubs and more. We'd get together go to the range where we had a section reserved and talk about work, guns, movies, politics, and many other things. If no women were there it could get raunchy.

The Pink Pistols have a group that has a purpose and it's not to get together to talk about the bedroom. Likely they talk about the same things other folk talk about. It's hard to talk much at an indoor range so maybe they get together for beers afterward. I don't know.

Also a number of people I am in contact with, in person and on boards have found that for some people their sexuality is the be all and end of their existence and the main topic of their conversation. And most violence against that group comes from their own kind.

I agree that there are people who consider their sexuality to be the "be all and end all" of who they are. Not all of those folks are Gay by the way. You may not have noticed that but it is most certainly true. But what this has to do with the Pink Pistols is not something that is clear to me

Then you say, "And most violence against that group comes from their own kind." Personally I'm kinda stumped by what you mean by this statement and whether it makes a bit of difference one way or the other. Are you trying to say that among Gays, just like anyone else, the majority of people shot and killed are from domestic disputes, between family members and friends? By saying "their own kind" is that what you mean? Or did you mean that among the group that thinks their sexuality is the "be all and end all of their existence", that most violence comes from "their own kind". I can take a guess at what you mean but it could be a wrong guess.

Seems there is something chewing on your mind and you may just want to take another stab at explaining it. If you feel it's appropriate.

tipoc

Glenn E. Meyer

NO, we are not going to discuss personal views of people about sexual orientation - either directly or by indirect approaches.

We will not criticize how people discuss their sexuality and how it bothers you or doesn't not bother you.

If someone wants to push their politics, sexuality, religion - we don't care.

Close to a close, folks.

Lohman446

I think it is vital to gun-owners that we show that identity politics do not work with us and that we make it clear that the stereotypical gun-owner does not necessarily exist.

Groups such as this and others strengthen the position of gun owners because it makes it clear that gun ownership crosses all sorts of lines and legislation can harm a candidates standings even with whatever "in" group he or she identifies as being an important part of the base.

We need more non-stereo typical gun owners (and voters) to stand up and be vocal about their support for their 2nd amendment rights. Frankly the further from the stereo type the better.