Pietta 1860 Colt ball size?

Smokin_Gun

That's varmint, or 1000yd target/sniper shooting...I know cause I have done them both. And the Reason I am still doing Black Powder instead of other more complicated shooting is because it is relaxing and not difficult...it's actually very simple.
Messy but fun and simple.

Did you get a hand spring made or one to work on the Navy? Come on up I got some feeler gauge stock I'll make you one...and I think the Uberti hand will work...I had made one for my Uberti Navy, can try it...or I'll make you one.

SG

Smokin_Gun

yeah Ron I do I'm a Rocket Scientist, been in Aerospace snce 1986 from B1's to SSME, Shuttle Mods, and curently on the LazerJet Program.

SG

Raider2000

mykeal said:
That's the truth.

RP - go get the data (measured) and publish it: velocity and energy at 25 yards.

I'm with ya there bud, I've been using .457's in all my .44 caliber C&B revolvers for over 20 years & have allways been able to hit where I was aiming at & yet have plenty of energy to do damage to the target be it paper, metal, clay or an occasional Yote & so far I've yet to have a problem with any of em in that many years associated with using a larger diameter ball than the chamber & I'm no slouch in the powder department either.

Oquirrh

I loaded 454s...

round, thick shaving rings. I'm guessing .451s would go in with very thin shavings. But don't have any around to try.

As for the above discussion--Couldn't one just measure the chambers?

I couldn't because I don't think my dial caliper is accurate enough. But a smart guy with a micrometer or something?

Speak of the devil, i think my Pietta Rem. NA is a little camfered... it doesn't shave any .454 lead but it's the most accurate of my NAs.

Did you get a hand spring made or one to work on the Navy? Come on up I got some feeler gauge stock I'll make you one...and I think the Uberti hand will work...I had made one for my Uberti Na
thanks, I matched the new handspring to the original and it works fine.

Oquirrh

I have a Pietta 1858 and have had great results with .451 Speer balls.

I'll get to test it. When i want to my local shop to stock up on .454 balls they were totally out. so I bought a box of .451 .

Also I'm out of real black powder. And the shops around here only stock Pyro or Triple7.

Hawg

If you go with 777 reduce your loads by at least 10%. I use Pyrodex mainly because it's a lot cheaper than anything else, 10 bucks per pound cheaper than 777.

Hawg

I'm guessing .451s would go in with very thin shavings.

My 58 has .440 lands and .450 grooves with chambers running .449-.450.
My 60 Pietta has .440 lands and .450 grooves with all chambers .450.

A ring of .001 is mighty thin indeed. I'll stick with .454's.

Oquirrh

use Pyrodex mainly because it's a lot cheaper than anything else, 10 bucks per pound cheaper than 777.
Here, it's Pyro $14/bottle/ 777 is $19. Using 10 percent less 777 brings the price difference pretty close per load.

Smokin_Gun

The Hogdon website for 777 ffg says to use 15% less than a volume of Black Powder.
Also do not put fillers or wads between powder and ball asking for a catastrophic condition.

SG

Raider2000

Smokin_Gun said:
The Hogdon website for 777 ffg says to use 15% less than a volume of Black Powder.
Also do not put fillers or wads between powder and ball asking for a catastrophic condition.

SG

That means that since I normally use between 30-35gr. FFFG Goex in my Remington copies I should use between 25-29gr. 777 FFFG in them right?

I'm asking because I've never used 777 in any of my C&B Revolvers & just recently started to expiriment with it in my Bobcat & I just want to make sure that my math is right "don't want to blow something up ya know."

mykeal

25 gr of fffg 777 should be a max load in your Remington.

Smokin' Gun: the warning on Hodgdon's site against using wads or filler with 777 applies to cartridge loads, not loading a percussion cylinder or a muzzleloader.

Oquirrh

777 questions...

I've read that you should NOT compress 777, either. Is that true and, if so, how do you control compression with an underlever rammer?

Also, when you get down to small 777 loads, do they start getting squirrelly as far as ballistics and consistency? I'll be putting as little as 10-13 g of 777 in my pocket Navy, which shoots accurately with 17-18 gr of fffg. (I might have to add filler, BTW.)

I would think there are some brass framed replicas (.44 '51 Navy by Pietta) that could get their worlds rocked by 25 g of 777.

BTW, i avoid the brass framed stuff 'cause of it's historical dubiousness, but I handled at .36 cal. '51 Pietta with a brass frame the other day that was very nicely finished. If the guy would have been reasonable about the price, I might have bought it.

mykeal

With an underbarrel loading lever and using 777, just push the lever down until it stops moving. Don't use any more force than necessary to start the ball down the chamber, and when it stops, stop pushing.

Smokin_Gun

Raider2000
I should use between 25-29gr. 777 FFFG in them right?

I ain't sayin ta use 777 ffg but the Rem would take your figures and the math os correct, 28gr broke my 1860 Pietta...shot 3 rounds musta knockk the wedge out. 4th round felt funny_stapped the two locating pin off at the frame. Made sone new pins after drillin out the broken ones. Works ok now for a 10yr old Pietta.
Jus' be careful with that stuff.

SG