Pics of the most hilarious SA conversion ever :)

Jim March

Griz: very interesting. Browning wasn't tapping the exhaust gasses at all, he was tapping the gas *ahead* of the bullet! That would push the "flapper" open, which cycles the action. Amazing! I would NOT want to try that with a handgun but with a rifle, yeah, I can see how you might have enough gas volume to make it work. Browning's setup would have worked with black powder or smokeless, so...huh...I wonder if he had access to smokeless by 1892? Must have...he was a major figure connected with Winchester by then...

I'm primarily tapping exaust gasses, I think. So was Mondragon in Mexico, at least in lab specimens by 1892, so he was in some ways well ahead of Browning! His designs were influencial on the Garand later so...I have a lot of respect for Mondragon. And Browning too of course! But it appears Browning turned away from gas-powered operation and went to recoil-operated, which is great for handguns but not so good on rifles.

1892 is into the smokeless era if we're talking about rifles. The French Lebel of 1886 was the first rifle made for smokeless powder. Smokeless for handguns was delayed a few years but around 1895 Colt re-did the SAA to be smokeless-compatible.

Huh.

Come to think, I may be using some "front of the bullet" air as well as combustion gas. It hardly matters - I don't have any timing issues to deal with. All I care about is the empty getting shucked, I don't particularly care when in the firing cycle it happens, just so long as it does before I cock it again. I'd need access to high-speed photography to know what's really going on...

James K

Member In Memoriam
A great piece of work and extremely interesting. A neat project just to show something like that can be done, but I suspect commercial value is nil.

Now if you cut away the cylinder boss on the other side and led a mag tube with a spring down to it so rounds fed into the cylinder as it turned, then you could make the tube a spiral of 20 coils and you would have a 500 round magazine, and then add an extension to the ejector to cock the hammer, and . . . .....

Jim

Crosshair

I can see it already, Jim March will next be rigging up 30 round gravity fed Gatling gun magazines to the side of the pistol, and will devise a new gas system to load the cartridges and cock the hammer. I can't wait to see the holster for that one...

Reminds me of the pistol from Bioshock.

Pistol_d.png

18 shot revolver anyone?

athanasor

I'm with SPUSG on the video - I'll bring the popcorn. :cool:

Makes me glad that my Indian name is Fumbles With Tools, frees up a lot of time.

:)

SPUSCG

I remember bioshock, a 18 round webley? Where can i get one? But yeah the homemade autoeject revovler with interesting sights deserves video.

Dr. Strangelove

Now that's about the coolest thing that I've seen in a while! Great Job!

Also, super steampunk! You could sell those bad boys all day...

Lost Sheep

Fully automatic revolver in the future?

Several years ago, I saw patent drawings of a conversion kit that would turn a bolt-action rifle into a semi-automatic in The American Rifleman.

griz said:
That sort of reminds me of the lever action that J. M. Browning modified to load automatically. It had a sort of a flapper near the muzzle that pulled on a rod that operated the lever. I Can't find a photo but it was quite a contraption. Of course the idea of using that free muzzle pressure lead to some more notable designs.

Maybe this is the first step to a sleek SA that I could load in the morning and shoot an entire cowboy match.
That same article had drawings of a semi-auto lever action precisely as you describe, friz

How long before this ingenious OP adds a belt-feed?

Lost Sheep

Jim March

OK...THIS is interesting.

Turns out my gun is a cousin of the Street Sweeper 12ga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMQ981lph0

Note the similarities! And as Dog is my witness, I'd never seen this before!

One major difference is, I'm not using gas pressure on the ejector rod...I'm using gas directly. I actually considered plugging the gas line into the front end of the ejector rod housing somehow :)...in which case, I'd have this exact mechanism, minus the automatic cocking of course...

Even that is probably doable, if I could legally make a new NFA full-auto gun...which nobody can...

texagun

I've got a cowboy gun that never runs out of ammo.

Jim,
You're not the 1st guy that's had one of these. Roy Roger, Gene Autrey, The Lone Ranger....all those guys had guns that never ran out of ammo.:p

jwphillips2

Love it!

How dare you modify a brand-name handgun? Well, that's just heresy!

The problem you're facing in getting this idea across is that you're trying to explain it to people who can't think in 3D. Very important to keep this in mind. Videos and diagrams are what works.

Congrats, that is so cool. You have no idea what will develop from this.

How about running the tube inside the sight base?

~Jonathan

Jim March

How about running the tube inside the sight base?

That's possible, or do a 90deg pipe adapter at the front spraying into the ejector housing's front end for direct pushing on the ejector rod. Same as that Street Sweeper.