Picked up an Enfield Jungle carbine

ernie8

The point of most people not doing it well was made many times with some of our top shooters . We did travel to other clubs and do the military rifle matches . None of them were even close to our shooting level .My favorite was when we listened to the two local pros stories before the match . After the match our 7 shooter all destroyed their club records . Before the match we asked them why they used such large targets and told them that 10 shots per target was going to be impossible to score . They could not score our target well because ours were a ragged hole .

eastbank

i take all milsurp rifles for what there intended use was, to kill the enemy and that did not include shooting 1"-2"-3" 20 shot groups. now if some do thats a plus. for me the biggest stumbling block has been the sights, i shoot reciever sights best, some friends shoot open sights best, useing the 6 o-clock sight picture is best for me with either sights. i use the 300 yard repair targets(bought a ton of them at a flea market). if you give most GI,s a moa shooting rifle is doesn,t mean he with shoot moa with it. i have a original ww2 jungle carbine that will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards from a rest with reloads that match war time bullet weight and speed.

ernie8

Yes sights are a big factor in several ways . First people's eyes . Some people see some types better than others . Second is the sight it's self . Some rifles like the Type-99 have large holes in the rear sight , they are up front and the front blade is a point . That one thing keeps the Type 99 from being a small groups shooter . I have test fired many t-99's . I have a extra small aperture that clips on the rear sight . When used the groups are cut in half . When I talk about group size for a rifle I am talking about the average groups size of many 5-shot groups fired at 100 yards . Not 3 shot groups , not the best five of a herd , Not do overs , not a one off that happeded once . I mean you sit down and do it on demand .

44 AMP

Staff
That one thing keeps the Type 99 from being a small groups shooter .

And the high center of gravity of my 74 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup keeps it from being a formula 1 racer. Pity, ain't it? :rolleyes::D

Military arms are built to do a certain set of things well. Shooting small groups usually isn't one of them.

Some of them will, if you have one of those, cherish it, its exceptional.

eastbank

and again, most milsurp reciever sight holes need to be big as the light condition,s very much on the battle field from damn near dark to very bright with a lot of vairables in between . i know the sights on my m-16 in vietnam were very hard to use in very low light condition and would have liked a flip type sight with a hole to open sight and i know of several soldiers who opened up the hole on the reciever sight and used white paint on the front sight post.

ernie8

Small group military rifles are not exceptional , or even rare . After 1000's of matches , shooters and rifles , small groups were the norm with most military rifles . Every weekend for about 15 years the top shooters were doing groups right at 1 inch . Because unlike most they knew how to shoot and how to load . Of all the military rifles ever used in our matches only three types were not competitive for shooting small groups . Carcano [ lack of a good bullet ] Type-99 [ poor sights ] Enfield [ poor rifling , poor bedding , poor action lock up , two piece stock ] . We ran other types of matches , speed , man size targets and others more related to combat shooting and the above types were competitive in those . If you do not shoot well enough you do not notice accuracy problems , like a wandering zero . All the rifles did just fine as battle rifles though .