Physics of shooting a rifle

stagpanther

If you're asking specifically why a .30-06 bullet would cross the sight line at exactly 25 and 100 yards, I think those are just made up numbers that are in the very general ballpark. I think for a .30-06 with a 100yd zero, the first crossing of the sight line would happen closer to 50 yards than 25.
Yes--I couldn't get my mind around the flat 30-06 trajectory hitting line of sight at those 2 distances.

MarkCO

If you're asking specifically why a .30-06 bullet would cross the sight line at exactly 25 and 100 yards, I think those are just made up numbers that are in the very general ballpark. I think for a .30-06 with a 100yd zero, the first crossing of the sight line would happen closer to 50 yards than 25.

With 180grain Silvertips, my .30-06 crosses at 52 yards and 100 yards.

tangolima

Yeah the 25/100yd was something I made up. If 50/100yd is correct, the launch angle for zero is adjusted to from 6moa to 4moa. The bullet drop at 350yd will be less, and error caused by canting will be even less.

I picked 25yd because I have seen hunters checking zero at 25yd at indoor range. They probably did that for "battle sighting" out to 250yd.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tangolima

Sorta continuation / elaboration from other thread.

I have a 40-year old Rem 700 bdl in .30-06. A Redfield wide screen 3-9x scope is on it, with duplex reticle. Clearly it is setup for hunting. I zero it at 200yd so that it shoots point-blank (battle sight) up to 250yd. I tried to use it to shoot "long range" up to say 800yd. Of course not for hunting but for being silly.

What would you do to make this setup work for distance beyond 500yd? Dialing in is not practical with the closed coin-op turrets without clicks. Hold-over? The reticle has close to none reference.

Here is a vertical dope table I made up for sake of discussion

200yd 0moa
300yd 3moa
400yd 7moa
500yd 12moa
600yd 18moa
700yd 25moa
800yd 33moa

Here is piece of information that I think is important. The reticle's center to the thick post fills the width of a letter size paper at 100yd when I set the magnification to 8x.

-TL

mehavey

coin-op turrets without clicks
From your listing of integral MOA chart, you won't/don't need clicks
thick post fills the width of a letter size paper at 100yd
Notwithstanding (what you describe as) an 8-minute post to calibrate known target
size against apparent range, what you will still need is a good rangefinder.

tangolima

From your listing of integral MOA chart, you won't/don't need clicks

Notwithstanding (what you describe as) an 8-minute post to calibrate known target

size against apparent range, what you will still need is a good rangefinder.
Maybe I didn't describe clearly. Let me use 500yd as example.

The target is at 500yd. I already know that. No need for a range finder. Elevation is 12moa. Dialing the turret is not practical, inconvenient at the least. There is no clicks and the marks have faded. I simply don't know how much to turn the "screw head". Besides I am sure I can go back zero precisely afterwards. I just don't want to fumble with it.

Hold-over is perhaps the only option left. But how do I hold 12moa with the duplex reticle?

-TL

stagpanther

But how do I hold 12moa with the duplex reticle?
You give it a bouquet of flowers and say "sorry, it just wasn't meant to be" and buy a scope that has the elevation and subtensions you need. :)

I guess you could also correlate the MOA distance between posts @ a known distance and then mathematically derive for the distance hold over/under.

Or just buy a scope with the elevation and subtensions you need.

tangolima

Buying my way out of a problem? Never. I just lectured my boy about it. I can't eat my own words :).

But seriously, I did buy a scope. But the rifle has been together with that Redfield for so long. I can't put myself to separate the old couple.

It is a SFP scope. The product of post subtension and magnification is a constant =8*8=64. I just adjust the magnification to have the subtension I need for the hold.

300yd, 3moa, 9x, hold midway to the post.
400yd, 7moa, 9x, hold to the post.
500yd, 12moa, 5x, hold to the post.
600yd, 18moa, 3.5x, hold to the post.
700yd, 25moa, 5x, hold double to the post.
800yd, 32moa, 4x, hold double to the post.

Decreasing magnification for longer distance is a bit backwards. Holding double, triple, or even quadruple, is a work around. It requires some reference points in the background, rock, tree branch, etc, or you just eyeball it. For example

800yd, 32moa, 8x, hold quadruple to post.

-TL