Permit to purchase

Pahoo said:
That is not what I said and obviously misunderstood. Again the permit to purchase is regulated and "issued" by the the county/state. Some states have this and some don't. This allows a resident to purchase a handgun but only in that state. The permit to carry is also issued by the state and additional requirement are in play. As a resident of Iowa, If I have a carry permit, I do not need a permit to "purchase." Again, this reply only relates to working in "this" state. .....
Right. Both the permit to purchase and the carry permit are issued by the state. That's not what you said above:

Pahoo said:
The Permit to "purchase" and to CCW, are two "separate" processes; one is Federal and one is State/County. ....

Thanks for clarifying.

Pahoo

Not a problem.

Thanks for clarifying.
Not a problem and misspoke What is not clear to me, is the source of the information. I've been told that when they enter your ID on the state's databases, they can tell if if you have a CCW permit and not necessarily a permit to purchase. I strongly suspect that state and Federal databases are all connected. It takes up to 30 days to get a CCW and it takes 3-days to get your purchase permit. ... :)

Then you have dealers that phones in an ID on a person that wants to Purchase a handgun and that person gets denied and no reason given. Later the dealer may call back and the purchaser , gets approved. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

gaseousclay

Note to the OP, I don't see where you say where you are. Including that information when asking about the legal processes helps a great deal, and tends to keep us from running two or more pages of everyone telling you how it works where THEY are.

Sounds like you're dealing with a form where you fill out part and the people who process it fill out part. And the way these things usually work is if you fill out the wrong part its now invalid and you have to start over.

But I have no idea what state you are in, so can't give any specific advice.

I specified that I was in Minnesota on page 1. I should’ve included that info in my original post but assumed a P2P was essentially the same regardless of state.

Either way, I got my P2P a little over 2 weeks ago. Took 10 days to receive it in the mail. Ordered a handgun from my LGS soon after but will still have to fill out form 4473 when I pick it up. That’s the part I don’t understand. The Mpls PD do a background check just to approve the P2P and then I do another. But, as someone posted earlier, could be that they do another check to make sure no crimes were committed from the time you get your P2P to the time you leave the store with your gun. ??????

Ibmikey

Here in Texas if you have a permit to carry concealed the purchase of a hand hun requires you fill out a 4473, pay for the weapon and take it out the door with you.....permit to purchase??? God Almighty!

gaseousclay said:
I specified that I was in Minnesota on page 1. I should’ve included that info in my original post but assumed a P2P was essentially the same regardless of state.
Actually, a permit to purchase a firearm is a relative rarity among the fifty states. To be honest, I'm surprised that you have been a member here for ten years and you didn't know that. This is another example of why we should never assume that the way things are in our home state is the way things are everywhere.

Remember, Kirk's First Law of the Internet ("If it's the law in Texas, it must be the law everywhere") is supposed to be facetious.

gaseousclay

Actually, a permit to purchase a firearm is a relative rarity among the fifty states. To be honest, I'm surprised that you have been a member here for ten years and you didn't know that. This is another example of why we should never assume that the way things are in our home state is the way things are everywhere.

I wasn’t in the market for a handgun/AR in the last 10 yrs, which is why I wasn’t aware.

Pahoo

A good option for Iowa

Actually, a permit to purchase a firearm is a relative rarity among the fifty states.
It certainly is but not aware if it's an option, In other stated. Now, For the exception of Illinois, most Midwest laws are very similar and that is why I questioned the OP. ..... :)

It's my "opinion" that the "option" of having a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun", Is a good thing as it allows citizens to purchase a handgun as well as a long-gun, for home protection. Many choose not to carry and this is a very affordable option; ($5.00 + 3-days). When "Shall-Issue" went into effect, there were many who wet through the process and obtained their CCW. To a certain degree, many have decided, not to renew. ...... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

44 AMP

Staff
It's my "opinion" that the "option" of having a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun", Is a good thing...

You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't see where having to go to the govt and buy permission (for any price, even if "only" $5 and 3 days) in order to purchase any firearm is a good, or desirable thing.

jimku

Here in Idaho if some lame-brain official tried to get a PTP law passed he would be extremely LUCKY to avoid a NOOSE and a public kicking and strangling execution. ;):cool:
And it would be more fun if he wet his pants. :D

Pahoo

If that's your measure; So be it !!

You're welcome to your opinion,
You took this statement, out of context and understand some liberals do that. Kindly read the entire reply. It's not just and opinion; it's what we have to work with, good or bad .... :rolleyes:

but I don't see where having to go to the govt and buy permission.
This is a state requirement as oppose to the Federal government and actually makes it easier for all to obtain a firearm. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo said:
but I don't see where having to go to the govt and buy permission.
This is a state requirement as oppose to the Federal government and actually makes it easier for all to obtain a firearm. ....
He didn't say "federal" government. State government is still government.

I fail to see how having to go to some government office -- whether it's the sheriff, the county clerk, or the judge of probate -- is easier than walking into the gun shop and saying to the person behind the counter, "I'll take this one, and that one over there. What's that total up to?"

Pahoo

Regardless, it is what it is

He didn't say "federal" government. State government is still government.
That's right, he didn't but he was not very clear as to "what government", so as not to confuse some. By now, you should know that when someone states; "Government", the default, in most folk's mind's is usually "The Federal Government". There has been enough confusion in this thread that we should be clearer. ...... :rolleyes:

Regardless, it is what it is and;
Be Safe !!!

ghbucky

I fail to see how having to go to some government office -- whether it's the sheriff, the county clerk, or the judge of probate -- is easier than walking into the gun shop and saying to the person behind the counter, "I'll take this one, and that one over there. What's that total up to?"

I always thought the 2nd amendment was my permit to purchase. I'll never live in a state that disagrees.

Pahoo said:
By now, you should know that when someone states; "Government", the default, in most folk's mind's is usually "The Federal Government".
I certainly don't know that, and I don't agree that "most" folks automatically equate "government" with the federal government. YMMV. To me, and I think to most people with whom I associate, "government" encompasses the entire range of bureaucracy, from city through county through state and finally the feds.

Pahoo

If the shoe fits !!???

When members state "opinions" in this forum, it's just that and with $4.00 you can go to a bar and get a glass of brew. Opinions are not worth debating or getting into a spitting contest over. That should hold true for all members and especially "some" moderators. ....... ;)

I may not agree with an opinion but not worth a debate .... :)

Be Safe !!!

langenc

Ask the gun shop-instant answer. Ask the police-wait month or more and then probably get wrong info.

$4.00 for a brew. Not so far back when I was going could get a 'shell' for 15 cents.