Percussion Caps?

jrinne0430

Deltadart, I may try the hair spray option you mentioned. I noticed that the mix are not too secure in the cups. Sometimes the mix will fall out when caping the revolver or just handling them…been looking for a method to secure the mix to the caps.

Deltadart

Jrinne0430, give the Rave a try, it's about $2.60 a can at Walmart, not a big investment one way or the other. But I suppose any hair spray will work. Seems to work, certainly better than half the primer in the tin.

44 AMP

Staff
Something else you might try, just to see how or IF it works, dilute water/white glue (at least 50/50 thinner might be better) or even Karo syrup (corn syrup) thinned with water from a hand pump sprayer.

The idea is to act as a fixative, right? keep the cap powder in place but something the cap can easily burn through?

I thought of model spray paint, the clear lacquer, but that might be too much you'd have to experiment. Glue, cornsyrup, water, and a cheap spray bottle might even be something you have on hand already (and quite cheaper than spray sealant/paint/lacquer).

Good Luck with the process.

Deltadart

Yes, that is the idea. Homemade caps work very well and are dirt cheap once you have the die or dies. .22LRreloader sells the die now, used to come from Forster Products 20 years ago, however they discontinued. The compound is available from .22LRreloader, the prodlem was the fixative how to keep the power in the cup. I will be making up some caps later this week,I had not thought of the syrup/water, so I will give that a try, I have it and a spray bottle. Like everything else, it's a definite no if you don't try or ask. Also a great excuse to spend more time reloading something or anything.

44 AMP

Staff
I would suggest not spraying directly on, even with just hand pump pressure. Spraying above, and letting the "mist" settle down and build up to the desired level would be the method I would try, first, anyway.

Spraying directly on or at MIGHT result in scattering what you don't want scattered. I don't know, and am only generally familiar with what you are working with.

Try different things, different methods of application. When you find something that works, great. If you don't, keep trying different things. It all any of us can do. Hope this helps.

Good Luck, enjoy shooting!

Deltadart

Yup, that is what i do with the hair spray now, quick short sprays above not directly at the cups, just let the mist settle on them. Works pretty well.