Pentagon Confirms Move to 6.8mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed308

Liberals will have a cow over True Velocity's entry. If we can't have plastic straws, they'll never allow a plastic case.

Jim Watson

The True Velocity is similar to the "neckless" round developed by AAI.
Mold the plastic body directly onto the bullet. Load powder from the rear, plug with metal case head for primer pocket and extractor purchase.
Their experimental rounds would fire in standard .308 and .260 Rem chambers.

Jim Watson

Interesting.
Some years ago, there was a steel headed case offered to handloaders who wanted to soup them up. The Army wants Magnum velocity, which requires either a lot of powder volume or a lot of pressure. Looks like Sig is giving them a lot of pressure.

stagpanther

I still think the sig stuff is "placeholder" while the real top-secret "sharks with frickin' laser beams" ammo is developed independently. Russians and Chinese will probably field it first. :D:D

kraigwy

Will likely piss off the Creedmoor fans.

I'm a CM fan, why would this piss me off? This means I get an excuse to buy another cartridge.

But what ever they chose or if they stick with the 5.56, it wont make any difference unless the Army changes its policy and decides to teach the soldier how to shoot.

It will be interesting to see when they start showing up in public with weird optics. One of the proposed benefits Milley discussed is that they are going to be able to train using new optics without firing real ammo. So far though, the rifles are shown either bare or with traditional optics.

The benefit is this ammo is expensive and not all of the existing training areas are going to be able to accommodate a projectile with .270 Win Mag ballistics that can penetrate any currently fielded body armor at 600m.

But what Milley was describing wasn’t dryfire practice, it was more virtual reality type training using the same optic they would use in the field,

stagpanther

As a taxpayer I'd MUCH rather my money go to real world live practice than having a half billion dollar jet sit on the tarmac most of the time.:D

MagnumWill

All three of those cartridges are going to require a re-tool from legacy processes. IMO I think Textron's CT entry has the greatest benefit and will actually "move the needle" for the warfighter in regards to weight. If companies now could make current cases out of polymer/steel case heads/etc. they'd be doing it now. We've been using brass cases for over a century now, there's only so many times we can re-hash it without introducing new technology or higher pressure.

6.8x51????

How do you run a ctg that size in a platform the size of a 249?

Exactly right, another vote for CT ammunition. One must think, if the Armed Forces wanted a higher power .308, they'd just keep the M14 and 240B :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think you’re right on that Will. Unless the other rifles just really outperform the CT rifle, it will be tough to beat the logistical footprint of a CT cartridge.

MagnumWill

...the only reason they wouldn't is they weren't serious about the entire endeavor and abandon it again... remember, their decision is going to end up on the other side of an election...

...and (slightly OT) something my subconscious tells me is that if the blue side would never, ever would want AR15's to NOT resemble "weapons of war"...

Last edited:

RC20

Not trying to start anything, but as a progressive, my take on gun issues has less than zero affect on what the military needs to do their job. I support whatever gives the women and men out there on the pointy end of the spear the best chance to come home. I love Javelin. Best thing for infantry since sliced bread.

Effective wise I think the M16/4 platform is an ergonomic atrocity and the 5.56 is a poor cartridge that is best used on wood chucks and watermelons.

I also think you are never going to get past the technology disconnect between a bullet that expand and kills cleanly (human or animals) and one that you want to poke holes though things that resist it (armor, walls, bricks etc) - 7.62 ball just leaves a slightly bigger hole. The day someone figure out a bullet that adjust itself to what its hit is going to be a fine one.

What hopefully come out of this is a ammo that is close to 5.56 in weight and has the ballistics to be effective out to 800-1000 yards (which means it works fine under that)

The real world says you won't alwyas have mortars or air support to deal with a guy behind a rock with a rifle 1000 yard out and the boots on the ground have to handle it.

jetinteriorguy

Ok, here is what I don't get. At the same time they are developing a new rifle on a fast track they have also ordered so many new rifles that Colt is discontinuing the sale of AR15's to the public. What gives? Or is it more likely the demand for a genuine Colt on the open market is so small it's not worth pursuing. But, this still doesn't explain ordering so many new rifles this close to them being replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.