Penalty in Arkansas

Theohazard

wayneinFL said:
Dreaming100Straight said:
Carrying when you will be drinking is considered a no no by most. Carrying at a Super Bowl party is worse.
Why would carrying at a Super Bowl party be worse than carrying while you're drinking?

A person shouldn't be going to the Super Bowl party of a "friend of a friend" and getting sloppy drunk in the first place. Assuming the host even sqerves alcohol.

If someone doesn't have enough self control to avoid getting drunk at a party, he should re-think whether he is mature enough to drink or to carry a gun at all.
I agree. And not only that, but how is that person planning to get home from the party? I find it absolutely ridiculous that many of the same people who say you shouldn't drink at all while carrying also have no problem with having a drink or two and then driving. Here in WA, the law regarding drinking and carrying is the same as the law regarding drinking and driving: Stay under a .08% BAC and you're legal.

If someone has had too many drinks to trust themselves with a holstered firearm, then there's absolutely no way they should even think about driving.

carguychris

Spats McGee said:
I'm unaware of any requirement for "local authorities" to provide such information. The CHCL trainer is probably required to, but not local authorities. I don't have time to look up what the training requirements are, but they presumably include relevant Arkansas statutes & rules.

That said, if you did go to the local sheriff's office, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get a copy of most (if not all) of the relevant statutes.
FWIW in my earlier post, I somehow managed to get the concepts of "inform" and "explain" mixed up in my mind. I'm attributing this to inadequate coffee ingestion. ;)

Although I don't know about AR in particular, yes, it is correct that most CHL training courses include a book of state statutes. However, other than the broad concepts discussed in the CHL class (if one is held), it's still up to the licensee or his/her legal council to interpret those statutes.

I would not ask a cop to explain the statutes, and if I did, I would take his/her answers with a grain of salt. Possibly many grains. Perhaps one of those 4 lb boxes they sell at Sam's Club. :rolleyes:
zincwarrior said:
More importantly, please pay special attention to intoxication statutes in regards to firearms (both direct and special codes for CHLers). That can be very important.
+1, although I would characterize it as very, VERY important.

zincwarrior

I agree. And not only that, but how is that person planning to get home from the party?
***In Texas it is not advised to drink and carry.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that many of the same people who say you shouldn't drink at all while carrying also have no problem with having a drink or two and then driving.
***Thats sheer speculation on your part. Have you not heard about designated drivers?

Here in WA, the law regarding drinking and carrying is the same as the law regarding drinking and driving: Stay under a .08% BAC and you're legal.
***Unless of course you're in a shootout and the DA wants to make a name. Guess what is now going to be heavily discussed at trial...

If someone has had too many drinks to trust themselves with a holstered firearm, then there's absolutely no way they should even think about driving.
***Agreed. Again, not seeing the issue.

Theohazard

zincwarrior said:
Theohazard said:
I find it absolutely ridiculous that many of the same people who say you shouldn't drink at all while carrying also have no problem with having a drink or two and then driving.
***Thats sheer speculation on your part. Have you not heard about designated drivers?
It's not speculation: I wasn't talking specifically about anyone in this thread, I was talking about people in other threads (and even people I know) who mentioned driving to a place where they'll be drinking, leaving their gun in the car, and then driving home.

zincwarrior said:
Theohazard said:
Here in WA, the law regarding drinking and carrying is the same as the law regarding drinking and driving: Stay under a .08% BAC and you're legal.
***Unless of course you're in a shootout and the DA wants to make a name. Guess what is now going to be heavily discussed at trial...
This is true, but it's a very small risk; much smaller than the risk of drinking the same amount of alcohol and ending up in a car crash where your BAC can be used against you in court.

I'm not saying there's no risk at all if you drink while carrying, I'm simply talking about people's inconsistency in risk assessment. A good argument can be made to never drink while carrying, even if it's legal. But a much better argument can be made to never drink anything before you drive, even if it's legal.

zincwarrior

I'm not saying there's no risk at all if you drink while carrying, I'm simply talking about people's inconsistency in risk assessment. A good argument can be made to never drink while carrying, even if it's legal. But a much better argument can be made to never drink anything before you drive, even if it's legal.

These arguments are not incongruous. A wise man would do both.

(edited for typing like a monkey).

Drinking and carrying aren't really the subject of this thread, so let's not wander.

A quick glance through §5-73-309 has this interesting requirement for a carry license:

Signs a statement of allegiance to the United States Constitution and the Arkansas Constitution.

zincwarrior

That is interesting, especially the Arkansas Constitution, especially considering thats trumped by the Federal Constitution (see Lee vs. Grant adjudicated 1865 appeal denied). ;)