Peep sights

SaxonPig

Depends on the size of the aperture. Larger enables faster pick up but loses precision. Battle sights have very large apertures.

Old Bill Dibble

"Peep sights aren't known for their speed nor ease of use.

They make good target sights, but aren't that great for speed or low-light usability"

saaaaaaaaaay whaaaaaaaaaaat???......how many combat veterans would agree with that statement????

I'd so most all vets of the last two wars (Iraq/ Afghanistan) are going to agree. Compared to a good quality RDS the peep sites are stone age type equipment. Compared to other irons, peeps are very good and accurate but not the fastest.

Snyper

"Peep sights aren't known for their speed nor ease of use.

They make good target sights, but aren't that great for speed or low-light usability"

saaaaaaaaaay whaaaaaaaaaaat???......how many combat veterans would agree with that statement????
What's the current "shots fired per kill" ratio?
Why are more military units trending towards optical sights?

Peep sights aren't good for fast work up close or in low light.

darkgael

fast

Express rifles....Fast handling, fast aiming...like dangerous game guns....like double rifles.....use "express" sights...frequently these are open shallow V blades.
Pete

Ocraknife

I've come to my senses!

Building that gun would be a waste of money.

Putting peep sights on the Marlin is a good idea, mine is very accurate too !

A 300win mag - CQBG, seemed like a good idea at the time

Well, if we're ever overrun by a herd of Tyrannosaurs you may need to resurrect your concept :p

Personally, if I were forced by circumstances to be around grizzly bears frequently, I'd opt for a three barreled magnum shotgun, two cans of bear spray, and a .460 Magnum.

Deaf Smith

Peep sights aren't known for their speed nor ease of use.

US military may have a different opinion on that.

1917 Enfield, O3A3, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14, M16, M4...

Aperture sights are the fasted (if ghost ring) and most accurate (if small apertures used) made.

You can have it both ways by getting one with a screw in aperture (most makers do have that very option).

Deaf

emcon5

US military may have a different opinion on that.

1917 Enfield, O3A3, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14, M16, M4...

Aperture sights are the fasted (if ghost ring) and most accurate (if small apertures used) made.

You can have it both ways by getting one with a screw in aperture (most makers do have that very option).

The British as well, the WW2 Enfield No4 sights are about as good as you can get in my opinion, with a large ghost-ring battle sight (to 300M), and a small peep that flips up for precise work.

From the shooter point of view, the M16-A2 sights are very similar.

I have never used a red dot, but all reports are that they are a little faster.

Emcon the bad part about the sights on an enfield No 4 is no windage on the rear sight but the front site can be drifted. the trouble with that is it is not centered in between the large protective ears so on mine it is very natural to center the ears with the rear site. I have to really think about centering on the offset front site. so there goes the inherent speed in that system for me not that I need it

fourbore

I use NECG on a cz550 bolt action rifle.I am sure you could get one of their sights mounted with the appropriate base. Then you need an proper height front sight. The NECG works very well for your intended purpose.

Highly recommend and it is not a crazy idea, or call me crazy too:

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/gun_services/sights.asp

You could buy a CZ550 in 9.3x62 with the above peep sites and call it done!

Deaf Smith

Here is my Marlin Texan 336 (made in 1967) with Skinner 'Minimalist' sight.

attachment.php

Shoots right on the bead at 100 yards with 170 gr bullets and LeverRevolution powder. Shoots 2 inches high at 100 yards with Federal 125gr JHPs. Group size is 2 inches!

And I did take the inside peep (aperture) out and it's a ghost ring.

Deaf

Attachments

• 336Ring.jpg
    336Ring.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 21,104

agtman

45-70 will do
I've come to my senses! * * *
A 300win mag - CQBG, seemed like a good idea at the time.

What you have to remember is that the "CQ" part of CQBG, whether "bear gun" or "battle gun," implies a centerfire rifle with a short barrel - usually under 16", which would require obtaining that lovely NFA tax stamp.

That said, even if you retained a 16.1" barrel length to avoid the NFA paperwork, something that short in 30.06 is already brutal and blasty enough, even with a muzzle brake to tame felt-recoil. Trust me, I've shot those.

I can't imagine cutting down a barrel to 16" for shooting anything in the .300-magnum class of big-game cartridge. :eek:

Last edited:

Model12Win

I think what OP is looking for is called a "GUIDE GUN."

Ruger and CZ make .300 Winnies that will be what you want. Both come with good irons.

They're made to be excellent close range stoppers favored by the true stopsman.

Deaf Smith

If you want a inexpensive 'stopper' go find a Remington 760 Gamemaster pump with a 18 inch barrel in 30-06, or even better 35 Whelen.

Add an aperture sight.

In 30-06 use 220 gr FMJs and in .35 Whelen 200 gr FMJ.

Something like $360 bucks.

Deaf

emcon5

I said 'inexpensive'.

So find something used. An auto-loading shotgun would be preferable, but a pump 12 gauge would be better than a pump .30-06 for bear, and you can find those for ~$300 all the time.

Model12Win

I believe some of the stopsmen in Alaska carry Remington pump shotguns loaded with 3" bear slugs when in grizzly territory.

There are some bear slugs like the Brenneke "Black Magic" 3" magnums that would be good medicine on bruin.