Peep sights

C7AR15

I want to mount a peep sight onto a Weatherby Vanguard 2 , 300mag , bolt action.

Who makes one that will fit the bill ??

Is this kind of odd ? ( I am putting together a CQBG .)

Thanks for any info

Mobuck

Most "APERTURE" sights are mounted to the side of the rear receiver ring. I don't think Vanguards are D&T for this application. There may be a simple sight that will mount to the rear scope base holes but the "peeps" of that type I've seen are fairly high and require a very tall front sight. Others are more of an emergency expedient and not meant for general use.
Check Brownells or Midway USA for options.

FWIW
I'm not entirely sure what CQBG is meant to do but a bolt action 300 mag would seem to be out of context.

taylorce1

Old Stony said:
A CQBG in 300 mag.??.....Okaaaaay...

1. I agree, close quarters fighting doesn't equate to a bolt action rifle or a .300 Magnum of any kind. Nor does any rifle with a 24" barrel equate to a quick handling battle rifle in close quarters.

2. For CQB a ghost ring rear sight is what you want, most apertures are to small for rapid target acquisition at close range.

3. The Weatherby Vanguard 2 rifle stock isn't designed to be used with anything other than optics. To use aperture sights with a the Weatherby stock you'll need to raise the sights up to look something like an AR15 to get a proper cheekweld and sight picture.

4. It'll be cheaper in the long run to just buy a rifle that was designed for what the OP wants. Because what he needs is going to require custom work to get sights to work with that rifle, or he'll need to change the stock to get the drop right for sights. Changing the stock with enough drop to get traditionally mounted sights functional will also increase felt recoil and muzzle jump, unless a muzzle brake or suppressor is installed. An AR15 or other semi-auto rifles and carbines better suited for CQB can be had for less than $500.

5. If the OP lives somewhere AR or other semi-auto rifles an carbines are banned, a lever action in a pistol caliber or .30-30 would work pretty well as a CQB rifle.

emcon5

Don't know if they make one for Weatherby, but Williams makes a peep sight that mounts using the scope base holes on the action.

UTG makes a sub compact peep site for a weaver rail for $30 way better then the overpriced NECG sites above. I have the site and it is great

SaxonPig

"...300mag , bolt action...I am putting together a CQBG ."

Maybe not the worst choice imaginable...but close. A bolt action rifle in such a hard kicking caliber is not a wise choice. It isn't even an unwise choice. It's getting into the crazy range of choices.

The aperture sight is better at precision shooting. An open leaf would allow faster target acquisition and pick up for close range shooting.

C7AR15

CQBG

It is my own acronym. ;)

CQBG = Close Quarter Bear Gun.

Just putting something together for Bear country.

PS: I already have a Marlin lever gun in 45-70 Govt. With a 1.5X - 4.5X scope

Also 2 Short barreled 12Gu. shotguns for use with slugs. Rem 870 + Moss 500

What I want to different is have peep sights on a bolt gun. Mainly for rugged durability and easy target acquisition to 100 yards.

What do think?

bbqncigars

FWIW, you would be better off putting Skinners on your Marlin. Mine does nice <3" groups at 100yds on my 1895CB. Any more fire power would probably need a pintle mount. ;)

C7AR15

45-70 will do

I've come to my senses!

Building that gun would be a waste of money.

Putting peep sights on the Marlin is a good idea, mine is very accurate too !

A 300win mag - CQBG, seemed like a good idea at the time

taylorce1

Go with a large ghost ring rear aperture sight, it'll be far better for low light and rapid target acquisition situations. A smaller rear sight will only be better for longer ranges.

Snyper

Peep sights aren't known for their speed nor ease of use.

They make good target sights, but aren't that great for speed or low-light usability

I wouldn't bet my life on them if going against a bear up close and personal.

I say a ghost ring site is the best faster then a low powered scope. he is talking about shooting a bear close not a gnat at 200 yds. just put the front site on the chest and fire

roashooter

"Peep sights aren't known for their speed nor ease of use.

They make good target sights, but aren't that great for speed or low-light usability"

saaaaaaaaaay whaaaaaaaaaaat???......how many combat veterans would agree with that statement????