Patched round ball accuracy

kwhi43

Here is how the big boys at Friendship shoot. This is a 50 yd target shot in a
bench rest match. Notice there are two shots in the practice bull. This was shot
last summer.

a668ec2cfdf4f0d66936cc187755a618.jpg

Chestnut Forge

Pahoo

Out of all the loads I have tried in the .54, it likes 100gr of 2f under a .530 ball. It does not burn all that powder in 26 inches but, it shoots great with that load. I have tried Maxis, Minnies and pbr in both .530 and .535. Charges from 60gr up to 100 gr. It just is what it is. If I cut the charge back to 90gr, the groups open up drastically. With the 100gr charge its nothing to head shoot squirrels at 35 yards or so. As far as proving me wrong ;) , I know someone out there has a 54 with a 1:48 twist that will cut holes with 50gr charges.......

shortwave

originally posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee :

As far as that stout 100 gr. loading in a 45. I too have a factory Rd Ball barrel (only) on my 45 also. (T/Cs) _ But where the difference is Sir is who their manufactures were. With all due respect. Your barrel as read has much deeper rifling than a stock T/C barrel. So no doubt your barrel would be much better equipped for more accuracy having that ball engraving feature alone

Visited Friendship a couple times myself. Didn't shoot, was JAFO.

Would it be fair to say that most(all) of the 'big boys' that compete at Friendship and travel the circuit do not have factory stock rifles?

FWIW...am thinking very seriously of heading Friendship's way again this June. Had a blast the two times I was there.

Last edited:

kwhi43

I will be there in June for 9 days. I only shoot pistol now days. Can't see with
the right eye . I would say nobody shoots a factory rifle there except in the
factory only matches. Some like me shoot a factory rifle with a match grade barrel. Nobody shoots any factory pistols either except in the "As Issue"
revolver matches . It's hard enough to win there without handicaping yourself
shooting a factory gun. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

kwhi43

Will look forward to seeing you. Here is what the wife and I look like. Anyway.
what we looked like last June.

316c0d715f6226c9beb2d01b7382c10a.jpg

shortwave

I'll be able to spot that handsome couple anywhere. ;)

As June approach's will PM you and let you know if/when we'll be there.

Sorry for the slight thread veer OP.

B.L.E.

As far as I know, the NMLRA only allows scopes on slug guns in their matches. I'm pretty sure the shooter was using click adjustable aperture sights and had a row of wind flags downrange to let him know when the conditions were right to shoot.

2damnold4this

Sorry for the slight thread veer OP.

No problem. I'm enjoying seeing what a proper set up can do with a good shooter. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to try some of the good advice given on this thread. : )

2damnold4this

I know it has been a few weeks but I finally have a range report.

The patch material was cut from a surplus Dutch shelter half and measured .014". The powder was fffg Goex. The target was a large sheet of cardboard at 28 yards.

The first shot hit about eight inches high and slightly to the left of the bulls eye. The second shot makes the first hole bigger! On the third shot, I'm having trouble with the trigger and pull a few inches right and about an inch low from where the first two shots hit. I forget to swab the bore before loading the fourth shot and it takes a lot of effort to load for about ten inches and then gets easy. The trigger seems to be getting worse and the shot lands about six inches higher than the rest of the "group." I find the patch and there is a hole in the center which makes me think it tore on loading. Then things get interesting. I try to put the rifle on half cock and it won't stay. I pull the lock off and it seems okay out of the rifle. That's when I realize the problem is with the trigger. Recoil has cracked the stock and jammed the trigger.

I want to thank everyone who gave advice as until the cheap stock started cracking, the rifle seemed to shoot better than ever. The bore also looks better the more I shoot and clean it. It may be a while before I get the rifle going again but I appreciate all the good advice.