Passive Non-Compliance

Donn_N

I believe my game plan would be to stay put, with the gun still aimed at the guy. To be at my car, he's in the garage of my house, so his only way out would be through me. I'd verbalize any movement in my direction will be considered a threat and I will shoot. The guy either stays in the car until the cops show up or tries to come through me to escape, and I shoot.

Another poster willing to kill to protect property. Amazing and a more than a little scary.

Bailey Boat

I can't speak to other states since I live in NC but breaking into someone's car and stealing stuff will get you a free can of whoop ass opened and served. I'm lucky that my vehicles are garage kept so the chance is unlikely but in the event it did occur I would have to serve up said can of WA. I'm late 50's and ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was....... I've worked too damned hard for what little I have and if you're going to take it then you're going to have to work for it.......just like I did....

markj

In my case, I would turn my 4 dogs on him. After they got thru with him.....

Why complicate things? I would never shoot someone over a car radio, that is why I have insurance.

mskdgunman

I vote for dumping a can of pepper spray on him. It may take a while to get the car to a point where you can drive it and not have your eyes water but it would probably make it hard for they guy to finish yanking your stereo. We'd see how things develop after the application of the liquid fire to determine if we take things to the next level. Once you spray the guy, things may escalate quickly so I'd have a firearm in hand and the cops in route.

I'm also partial to the baseball bat accross the shins:D

Dwight55

Since I don't conveniently have pepper spray in my house, . . . that option would not be available.

But I do have ammonia, . . . and I have clorox bleach. I have several cans of aerosol brake cleaner, . . .

I think I could entice him into getting the heck out of my vehicle.

And after all, . . . it is my vehicle, . . . I am entitled to clean it, . . . too bad he was laying where I was cleaning.

May God bless,
Dwight

Another poster willing to kill to protect property. Amazing and a more than a little scary.

Yes it is. Even more amazing to me is that they would commit to virtual paper a statement that they would commit what would almost certainly be judged to constitute a crime in almost all states.

Nothing like handing the prosecutor a damaging piece of incriminating evidence to make his score higher.

buzz_knox

In my case, I would turn my 4 dogs on him. After they got thru with him.....

Why complicate things? I would never shoot someone over a car radio, that is why I have insurance.

I know you're kidding but for those who might take the comment seriously, use of a pack of dogs (especially the type that can "get thru" with someone) can and most likely will constitute deadly force. There've been successful prosectutions on the principle of a dog as a lethal instrument, no different than a pistol or blade.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Kick the door on Carl's leg! Jerk door open, grab Carl's leg and drag him out... pummel him about the head and face until compliance is garnered...
Stand on throat until the cops arrive:D
Brent

I thought this post by David Armstrong on 05 June on another thread said it very well:

Rather silly to use deadly force to protect your property, for example, if you are going to lose all your property because you used deadly force.

TEDDY

thief

thats why there are so many thieves,people to cowered to take any action.
but I think you will find attitudes are changing.
now I wonder what would happen to the smart ass if you fired one next to his ear.
in my county there are 4 deputies for the entire county.the sheriff sort of figures you have to take care of your self.and the AG backs deadly force.
I think most of you should get rid of your guns and just let people help themselves.it would be better for the perp and you would not have to confront them.:rolleyes: :eek:

KLRANGL

thats why there are so many thieves,people to cowered to take any action.
I'm pretty sure the lack of personal action is not the cause of an increase in theft... That's a "garbage cause flys" argument if I've ever heard one...

In a situation like this, you got to weigh the risks and the benefits. I have no problem with someone going out there and trying to stop the guy, but to me it just isn't worth it. I'll confront him, but if he just says go away and keeps going at it, I'll let him. Car radios are a dime a dozen anyway...

BillCA

Wow... lots of discussion about what you can't do -- which most of us know by now.
A few options ranging from urinating on him¹ to pepper spray to weed killer. Even dogs.² Most popular seems to be whacking him in the leg with a bat.

I've also noted that some people like to criticize the posts of others but never offer a solution either.

My friend used a non-lethal option that's often available in your average home.
I want to see if anyone thinks of it.

One friend I sent this to had the most creative solution.
Living in Nevada, his son has a nice collection of about 8 tarantulas³... :eek:

¹ Wild: It's probably best to open the driver's door so you can whiz in his ear.
² Attack Chihuahua anyone? Most effective up a pants leg. :D
³ Yeah... I'd come out of that car like a flippin' rocket too.

Wildalaska

My friend used a non-lethal option that's often available in your average home.
I want to see if anyone thinks of it.

Sigh...wait till hes distracted a bit, fill your hand full of Hot Sauce...rub in eyes...

Or shampoo....

Or Fire extinguisher

Then when he is rolling around on the ground, puke in his face. Then kick him in the oysters as hard as you can

WildhewillsayuncleAlaska ™

James K

Member In Memoriam
Trying to subdue or arrest him by force could lead to your losing the gun, which could be either bad or very, very, bad.

I wonder if it would be considered excessive force if some 250 pound force (me), while using persuasion and sweet reason, accidentally stumbled into the car door and broke the guy's legs. Of course the door would be damaged, but I would explain that I do have this problem with tight shoes, and...

Jim

Mike in VA

I'd be inclined to close the door on his leg and lean on it until the cops arrived (I'm 6'3", 245#), & have the wife hit the panic button on the alarm and call the neighbors to come help (I have good neighbors).

Gun would be last resort if the guy was a threat and coming at me. I would do what any "prudent man" would do - assume that someone coming at an armed man after being reapeatedly, loudly warned off - would try to take my weapon from me and use it on me, and I would respond "appropriately" . . .

pax

From Florida statute 776.06
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0776/ch0776.htm

776.06 Deadly force.--

(1) The term "deadly force" means force that is likely to cause death or great bodily harm ...

Skydiver, if you will reread my first post, I expressed no opinion whatsoever on what the homeowner should do. I only pointed out that whacking the robber's knees with a baseball bat was every bit as legal - or as illegal - as shooting him right through the heart under the same circumstances. And I stand by that, even for those who live in Florida.

pax