Paris attack bringing new folks to guns

vito

Just yesterday I was asked by a former work acquaintance about his getting a gun for the first time. He has always been neutral on guns, but never wanted one himself. After Paris, he now wants to have a handgun at home, and might even get a concealed carry license in the future. But he admitted that he was unlikely to sign up for any gun related classes or practice shooting. While I encouraged him to get at least a basic pistol safety class and some range time before he buys a gun, or to let me provide such type training to him, he again said he just wanted a gun right now.

So for this individual I strongly encouraged him to buy a revolver, rather than the Glock that he mentioned immediately (he might think all semi-autos are "Glocks"). Knowing that he likely will not practice, will not routinely clean and lubricate his gun, and might end up having a loaded gun in his underwear drawer untouched for the next 20 years, a good quality revolver should better meet his needs. He seemed a bit reluctant, saying "aren't those revolvers awfully old fashioned?". But I assured him that a good revolver with quality ammo could sit almost indefinitely in a dry place and still be fully capable of firing when the trigger is pulled, but I would not guarantee the same with any semi-auto.

I wonder how many people across the country are going through the same thought process and visiting a gun shop for the first time in their lives.

kilimanjaro

'Old-fashioned'?

Tell him revolvers began in 1835 and the design has been perfected.

Semi-autos began in 1893 and they're still working on the design.

I wonder how many people across the country are going through the same thought process and visiting a gun shop for the first time in their lives.
From my experience, quite a few. Events like this are a catalyst that gets people thinking.

The challenge is, these are often impulse-driven decisions. The hard part is getting these new owners to train and practice.

Tom Servo said:
The challenge is, these are often impulse-driven decisions. The hard part is getting these new owners to train and practice.
The other part of the challenge is getting these new, first-time (often only-time) gun buyers to recognize that they are now on our side of the Second Amendment issue, and to get them to come out in support of the right they just exercised.

vito

To the uninitiated, revolvers are seen as old fashioned. Other than Westerns and dramas taking place far in the past, all the guns you see on TV and the movies are semi-auto's. A non-gun person can be forgiven to think that revolvers are no longer being made or used since their exposure to guns is limited to what they see on the screen.

g.willikers

But he admitted that he was unlikely to sign up for any gun related classes or practice shooting.
What's he planning on doing, wave the thing at the bad guy and hope it scares him away?
Hope for your sake, he doesn't live next door.
Vito, you might want to stay out of that conversation, especially to make recommendations.
Anyone that foolish is likely to try to blame you for whatever trouble they get into.
May providence protect us from the panic stricken.

Last edited:

1-DAB

a gun is not like kryptonite, it won't ward off bad guys just by being there. the owner/user must learn how to use it safely and effectively. otherwise, it's just a large paperweight waiting for the owner to get training and to practice on his/her own.

if he just wants a gun, but doesn't want to learn how to use it and practice with it, just get a plastic squirt gun, they are much cheaper and won't hurt you as much if you mess up.

Pahoo

Observing the 2-A

Paris attack bringing new folks to guns
Perhaps equally important is keeping the gun grabbers, at bay. Perhaps now we can have a realistic debate about sensible gun laws which means, adherence to the 2A of "our" Constitution. ...... ;)

Be Protective and;
Be Safe !!!

What's he planning on doing, wave the thing at the bad guy and hope it scares him away?
Hope for your sake, he doesn't live next door.

Well, according to NRA folks, guns are waved at bad guys hundreds of times per day, no shots fired, and the bad guys are scared away. So this apparently does work, QUITE OFTEN.

Also, most folks who defend themselves with guns are not your regular training or shooting gun owners. Untrained folks with guns are quite numerous and protect themselves regularly.

It is good more people are coming to guns.

TXAZ

...And a Star rose in the East...

Even one of the most anti-gun, and hypocritical police chiefs in the US, Cathy Lanier of the DC police, stopped just short of endorsing guns, a moderating stance from previous positions. On 60 minutes tonight, she indicated:

“Your options are run, hide or fight,” Lanier told Anderson Cooper. “The facts of the matter is that most active shooters kill most of the victims in 10 minutes or less. The best police department in the country is going to be about a five minute to seven minute response.”

And her last statement is literally true only one-"THE BEST" (speaking strictly from call time to on-scene, for the single very fastest) PD is going to respond that fast. And that's likely a PD like Highland Park in Dallas, or other very small very wealthy, highly policed small town where the # of officers per area andper capita are. Most other large agencies fudge the numbers by the process of how the calculate, or take close to 20 minutes to respond.

I'm not holding my breath on Cathy embracing citizens with guns, but it's a nice change.

(No I'm not anti-police, I just retired from a large agency and saw 'lots of games' that shouldn't be played.)

kilimanjaro

I will believe Lanier is re-thinking her public duties when her police force is instructed to issue CCW permits on a timely basis to all qualified applicants, and puts an officer on training duty for the applicants until private firms can step up and fill the need to see 30 days between application, training, certification, and licensure.

TXAZ

kilmanjaro,
I expect you're right. She's a weather-vain :) reader and generally kowtows to the more extreme council members.

mete

He might be interested in the fact that a special French police unit [CRS ? ]
was carrying their 357 Revolvers !!! :p
I don't remember the story behind their choice but they've used it for years!
There have been photos of them in the Paris event.

I was impressed thatlistening to the audio of some of the action that there was no full auto fire and the other shots seemed well spaced indicating they were aiming !! :D

dakota.potts

As far as French special forces using the revolver,
I seem to remember that there were some type of bullet-resistant shield used in the raids on the hostage-takers that night. I've read that revolvers are used in groups where the shields are used because a revolver can be fired from around a shield while the slide on a semi-automatic could hit the shield and result in a malfunction

SC4006

That's like saying I'm going to buy a hammer to hammer some nails, but I have no idea how to use it, and have no intentions of learning how to use it. A gun is a tool just like a hammer is, and a tool is only effective if used properly.

TXAZ said:
Even one of the most anti-gun, and hypocritical police chiefs in the US, Cathy Lanier of the DC police, stopped just short of endorsing guns, a moderating stance from previous positions. On 60 minutes tonight, she indicated:

I'm not holding my breath on Cathy embracing citizens with guns, but it's a nice change.

I didn't see anything in her statement that you quoted that in any way suggested to me that she advocated armed citizens, even for a nanosecond.

He might be interested in the fact that a special French police unit [CRS ? ] was carrying their 357 Revolvers !
The Manurhin MR73 and S&W 686 are standard issue for the GIGN and several other elite French units. They're said to be the most accurate and reliable revolvers made.

Nathan

Frankly, once they show no interest in shooting or training, I usually wait for them to come back to me.

My goal is to create an armed populace that I can count on, not a bunch of clueless folks muzzling me with their new ccw!

Guns are about the shooting. CCW is about training to carry and having it with you!

TXAZ

AB wondered
I didn't see anything in her statement that you quoted that in any way suggested to me that she advocated armed citizens, even for a nanosecond.

As I mentioned she has a history of "weather vane-ing", 'sticking her finger into the wind to determine the direction to go' metaphorically, by polling the sentiment of certain groups in DC to ensure political correctness of her policy and decisions. Wishy - washy vs setting sound policing policies.

That is not obvious from this article but is if you lived up there and have law enforcement background, or are a DC (local) watcher.

Rothdel

Just to share my own story here. My wife's family is very very liberal. I have refrained from discussing a lot of my views with them to keep the peace. In this case leading by example has been more powerful than debating our views.

My brother in law is about 2 years younger than me and despite our differences we are fairly close. His family has visited mine several times and each time the two of us go to my local gun range and spend a day shooting and chatting. He used to be extremely anti gun but over time his enjoyment of my hobby has overcome (at least in a shooting range environment) the uninformed views he held previously.

With him living in San Diego his ability to purchase and own a firearm is significantly more difficult for him than it is for me in WI. Because of this he never entertained or even considered owning a gun. Shooting was something he did with me and that was it.

Two days after the Paris attacks he called me and for the first time asked when his family came to visit how often I carried when we were out and about. I told him I carry about 80% of the time but when my wife or family members are around I always carry. There was a long pause on the other end of the phone after which he asked if I had been in the Paris attacks what my actions would have been. This caused me to pause for a while and I replied honestly that I didn't know. I would like to think I would have kept my head and responded in a way that would have protected my love ones and other innocents but I have never been in that situation so despite the training that I have undergone and the time I have spent practicing I'm simply not sure how I would have handled the situation or what kind of impact I would have had. In a situation like that however I would rather have an option that a gun provides vs. simply being a target. There was another long pause after which he thanked me and ended the call.

Three days later I received and email that it was time he thought about the protection of his family more actively vs. relying on the police or government to do it. He asked if I would work with him to help pick out the right firearm for his needs.

I think the Paris attacks are a wake up call to a lot of people. My brother in law is a long way from being an ardent 2nd amendment supporter but he is also no longer scared of guns and recognizes their importance as a right, hobby, and tool for personal protection. I hope more people that started where he did recognizes how important it is to have the right to protect ourselves.