+P Ammo with Older Rossi 2" Snub Revolver

madmag

I completely understand Rossi did not rate their .38 spl. for +P. I actually understood that form the beginning. Again, that just goes back to a cover their rear attitude. There is some good reason for that. In about the 50-60's there was +P ammo around that was uncontrolled. It could run from just a little hot to mag. pressures. Even Smith and Colt in those days issued statements about limited amounts of +P. Now the SAAMI stuff is not really hot, but the perception remains.

Anyway, for anyone really worried just use a non +P 158g SWLHP....problem solved.:)

Walklightly

Ruger's don't count. You can shoot a stick of dynamite with no harm to the gun if you can get in the cylinders.

Or just about 300 rounds of .357s. It was either a cracked forcing cone, or flame cutting before I sent it in for repair. They never did tell me.:rolleyes: At least they did take care of it, so that's cool.

madmag

Or just about 300 rounds of .357s.

Well I guess even Ruger's are not indestructible. I admit I don't own a SP101. I have a Speed Six and GP100, both .357 mag's. One of my sons does own a SP101, which I have shot on occasion.

Anyway, glad Ruger (as usual) took care of the problem.

drail

Rugers are NOT indestructible. It does take some really stupid loads to blow one but plenty of people have done it. Even if you don't blow it into pieces you can destroy the forcing cone or beat it out of time. +P ammo is for all practical purposes nothing more than a marketing trick to get people's money. You are only going to get so much power from a small snub. Buying +P ammo for a snub is a waste of money and it will not turn a .38 Spl. into a .357 mag. +P ammo cannot defy the laws of physics. It will beat a gun to an early death. Walklightly, I'm curious what kind of loads trashed your Ruger? I trashed a GP with 125 gr. handloads.

Last edited:

madmag

drail said:
+P ammo cannot defy the laws of physics.

Don't agree.

More velocity/energy is more. No matter short or long barrel. Now I do agree the improvement for +P is not that great, but none the less it is more V/E and not a gimmick. Too many tests to mention, but there are large amounts of test data to show you get more penetration/damage with +P compared to it's equal counter part of non +P with same barrel length.

You are only going to get so much power from a small snub.

Again, that's easy to put to rest. A .357 mag. with give you more power than a .38 spl. +P. You get more power all the way up to the point of blowing the gun up......there is no flat point in the power curve for increasing pressure.

Walklightly

Walklightly, I'm curious what kind of loads trashed your Ruger? I trashed a GP with 125 gr. handloads.

All factory, from mostly from Walmart, Rem,WWB, also some S&B, Fiocchi. Most 125g. Fiocchi 142g. I also shot a far amount of factory .38s, and .38 +Ps, so it just wasn't all .357s.

They also replaced the 9lbs hammer spring with the factory 15lbs spring, they did send me back the spring on the rod, so it was an easy switch out.