+P Ammo with Older Rossi 2" Snub Revolver

graysmoke

My question is this....
I have an older Rossi Revolver, .38 caliber, 5 shot, 2" barrel. Purchased approx 25 years ago.
Has all steel frame and cylinder.
The gun is in overall excellent condition....Can I shoot +P Ammo through it.?

John D

Wow, I wouldn't.....these guns were not inexpensive without reason. I'd be safe and stick with standard ammo.

drail

It may be safe or it may not. Even if it doesn't blow the gun +P ammo will shoot it loose if you spend much time on the range. Just use standard 158 gr. .38 Spl. Or 140 gr. You're not going to gain hardly any performance increase out of a 2 in. snub by shooting +P. If you need more performance buy a .357.

graysmoke

Yah....^....That makes sence. And just stay with the 38spl load.
I know Hornady has a 38spl Self Defence JHP bullet. It's suppost to be real good.
I like the revolver. The gun is solid made, smooth trigger pull, and for a back-up piece. Perfect.

old bear

Any modern revolver, and your 25 year old Rossie is considered modern, should be safe with modern +P ammo. I would not make a habit of shooting a lot of it though. My suggestion is shoot normal pressure ammo at the range and carry +P or +P+ for self defense.

madcratebuilder

^^^^^^^^^^^^

What that old bear said. A steady diet of P+ well loosen it up in time.

IMO bullet placement trumps bullet energy. I would shoot and carry 158gr wad cutters.

WANT A LCR 22LR

On the ammo side of things I read things like " In the old days ( pre 70's ) , a 38 special was the same power as a modern 38 +P "

On the gun side of things I read. " Don't put a modern +P in that 60's gun, it will blow up. "

A low cost gun running lots of +P would be a bad mix, but a good quality gun?

B. Lahey

Any modern revolver, and your 25 year old Rossie is considered modern, should be safe with modern +P ammo. I would not make a habit of shooting a lot of it though. My suggestion is shoot normal pressure ammo at the range and carry +P or +P+ for self defense.

That is insanely dangerous advice. +P+ .38spl is generally only safe to fire in .357 handguns. Loading up a cheap brazillian .38 with that stuff is begging for a mangled hand.

NickySantoro

OP,
I have the same Rossi of similar vintage and have fired Hydrashok, LSWHP, and Speer SB, all +P, with no discernible difficulty. That being said, it was on a limited basis. It now serves as my secondary house gun and is loaded with the Speer 135gr +P. I have every confidence that it will have no difficulty in continuing to handle this and other +P loads on a limited basis as might be required.
FWIW
YMMV

drail

Again, +P loads are not going to blow the gun to pieces. It would be
like driving a street car through Baja. Things are going to loosen up. You're subjecting the gun to pretty severe battering. If you consider a handgun to be a disposable tool then have at it. There is no good reason to run +P through a snub. If you want more power buy a gun in a Magnum chambering.

Last edited:

khegglie

loosen up your old pre Taurus Rossi and you may have trouble getting a factory fix...they dont fix the interarms guns.
+P+ is baby 357 ammo; it really cranks ever in my sp101. I WOULD NOT shoot it in a 38spl revolver.

madmag

I know the .38 +P questions are not going to end here, they seem tp come up about every week.

Modern off the shelf .38 +P made to SAAMI ratings are much ado about nothing. You are talking about a 10% increase in pressure. Now in the old days gun companies would give big warnings just to cover their rear end. But modern .38 +P will not harm any reasonably well made revolver.

In the old days of the FBI/Treasury loads there were wildcat +P ammo out there that ranged from mild to +P+ to on edge of .357 mag.

Walklightly

But modern .38 +P will not harm any reasonably well made revolver.

Like a Rossi not rated +P, or my early 1980s S&W M37?

I'll pass, I feel I really don't need them anyway.

But I do carry them in my +P rated Airweight, because they are rated for +Ps
:D And, if I need more power, I carry .357s in my .357 Ruger SP101.

I feel just as safe with none +Ps in my M37, as I do with my Airweight with +Ps.

madmag

Walklightly said:
I carry .357s in my .357 Ruger SP101.

Ruger's don't count. You can shoot a stick of dynamite with no harm to the gun if you can get in the cylinders.:D

I am saying any modern well made revolver (made from about 1930's on) will take SAAMI spec. .38 spl. +P with no issue.