Owners of the LCPII.

keithdog

If you have the LCPII and have put it through it's paces I would love to hear your personal review of this ;little pocket pistol. I'm considering buying one. Thanks for your input.

ritepath

I'm listening also...I'm ready to pull the trigger on one after getting to look at one at the LGS and then getting to spend some time looking over a friends, and putting it beside a gen1. I was a little worried it was overly large compared to my gen1, but after getting to drop it in a holster and then in my pocket I don't think it's too large for pocket carry anymore.

If the trigger pans out like it seems, this little pistol should be pretty darned accurate, and I can easily see it causing me to shelve my Shield and G2 except when I felt like carrying a big gun.

TomNJVA

I have one and love it! I've only put about 60 rounds through it so far with three different ammo brands (ball and HP) and it operated smoothly. I especially like the small size and weight as it slips into any pocket (with the supplied holster), so I carry much more often. It feels well built for a plastic gun and fits my hand nicely.

Keep in mind that this is not a range or home defense gun and should be evaluated by different criteria. It is for up-close self defense, so recoil, comfort, and accuracy are not as important as reliability and carry-ability (new word there!). I have several larger and heavier handguns for home and car defense, but rarely carry them because of the weight and visibility. The best thing about mouse-guns is that you have them when you need them!

TomVA

rwagliardo

LCP II

Love my as well perfect pocket pistol. I have 100 rounds with no problem. Got this after I had purchased Kahr cw 380 which I have just about given up on. You will Not regret this pistol, trigger is great. I do suggest the rubber slip on grip makes a lot of difference.

jdmick

Very happy with mine. It's been totally reliable so far after about 200 rounds. No, it's not a target pistol and it's not the most pleasant thing to shoot but it's not that bad either. Best thing about it is of course the size. It stays in my pocket and goes everywhere. Simply no excuse not to take it. Seems like Ruger quality is pretty consistent so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

keithdog

I hear ya TomNJVA, my intended purpose for this gun is strictly up close self defense on warm summer days when I am dressing very light.

Bill DeShivs

The trigger is single action- of course it's great, but I sure don't want a cocked single action in MY pocket, and I'm a well-seasoned carrier.

keithdog

That's the biggest gripe I have been hearing Bill, and probably the only reason I haven't purchased the gun yet.

rwagliardo

Trigger block

I was also concerned with pocket carry with this trigger until I purchase the Garrison trigger block. Works great and with practice really quick to remove. Like some have said it goes with me every where now and with no worries.

Bill DeShivs

Trigger plugs can be useful, but are just another thing to do before firing your gun.
The earlier D/A version of this gun needs no such extra "safety."

Yes, you have to work harder and practice more with a D/A gun. That's the price you pay for safety.

People seem to think that striker-fired guns are something new-an improvement. Even Ruger seems to be marketing this gun this way. Single action (striker fired) guns simply have an easier trigger pull. They are not new, and come with their own drawbacks for carry. They are fine if you use a real safety (not the trigger dingus)- but pocket carry is risky with a S/A trigger.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

Rothdel

Just a different perspective than the posts above.

I have the Gen 1 and have handled and fired the Gen 2 and the tactical Gen 1 upgrade with the red trigger and improved sights.

I carry fairly routinely and while I purchased the LCP for summer carry when wearing shorts and a t-shirt I find myself tossing it in my pocket almost all the time. The other 2 guns I used to carry a lot tend not to get a lot of rotation now.

The gun is easy to carry and while its not a range/home defense gun in the typical sense I don't find it painful to shoot and it's dead on reliable and accurate once you get used to the trigger. While I will never take it to the range and fire 100+ rounds through it for fun it is plenty comfortable enough to stay proficient and not feel like you are going to need a cast afterwords.

After having shot the LCP 2 I don't think the changes are significant enough to warrant purchasing it in favor of the LCP 1. The trigger is significantly better and the width in the grip is nice but once I learned the trigger on the LCP I have never had much trouble with it and in a self defense situation I don't think the grip will make that much of a difference.

My take away is that if you have the original LCP there is little reason to upgrade. If you don't have the LCP the cost difference while small would make me consider the original.

TomNJVA

I never thought I would want to carry an SA pistol with no external safety, but when holstered I feel quite comfortable with the LCP II. The gun stays in the holster at all times, and the only danger would be when drawing. Even then I would take the holster out of my pocket with the gun and discard it after drawing. I believe this is faster than trying to find, grab and draw any mouse gun by their little grips while in the pocket. Plus my trigger finger is well trained to stay outside the trigger guard.

While this gun is intended for up close defense, there may be rare circumstances where accuracy is needed at longer distances, such as in a movie theater or mall. Here the SA trigger greatly improves accuracy.

TomVA

railroader

I pocket carry the LCP Custom and I would be comfortable pocket carrying the LCP II. Even though the LCP II is called "single action" it isn't a 1911 trigger without a safety. I carry my Custom in a Nemesis holster which covers the trigger with nothing else in that pocket. I can draw the gun cleanly with my finger off of the trigger so I can't see why this can't be done with the LCP II.

Captains1911

The trigger is single action- of course it's great, but I sure don't want a cocked single action in MY pocket, and I'm a well-seasoned carrier.

Use a proper pocket holster, which is absolutely necessary for pocket carry regardless of the gun type, and it should be no less safe than any other striker-fired pocket pistol.

Bill DeShivs

Ahh- but you see, a pocket holster is not necessary for a double action gun carried in the pocket!
Now- I advise people to use a pocket holster, but I don't. For my use and dress it's perfectly safe.
Whether or not it is safe for you- I can't say.
If I WERE to carry a S/A gun in my pocket, you better bet I would have it in a holster!

makarov

I don't pocket carry without something covering the trigger. Like a pocket holster. I bought a kydex holster and have been carrying appendix position. Nice little gun. No problems so far. $259 . Hard to go wrong at that price.

keithdog

After reading all these comments and comments in other forums, I get the feeling that the overall suggestion is that if you already own the LCP or the Custom, there is no real need to upgrade, but if you don't own either one, go ahead and get the LCPII.

Captains1911

Ahh- but you see, a pocket holster is not necessary for a double action gun carried in the pocket!
Now- I advise people to use a pocket holster, but I don't. For my use and dress it's perfectly safe.
Whether or not it is safe for you- I can't say.
If I WERE to carry a S/A gun in my pocket, you better bet I would have it in a holster!

Disagree completely. A pocket holster is necessary for several reasons:

- Prevent negligent discharges
- Prevent dirt, dust, debris from compromising the action
- Keeps gun oriented properly
- Provide a consistent, smooth draw.

They also help break up the outline of the gun, which isn't necessary, but certainly doesn't hurt. Also, nothing else goes in the pocket other than the gun and holster.

Lastly, pocket holsters are so inexpensive, why on earth wouldn't you use one????:confused:

Last edited: