Over-All Top Accuracy Powder

I make that it's not going to affect my reloading in the least because I rarely load rifle ammunition anymore and, when I do, I'm very happy with IMR 4064, so I see no need to change.

No cheating here Pete!

Check my thread "Powder and manual questions", I don't have a Lyman manual. I did do some reading on Hodgdon's website after your "hint". An answer to my thread would be appreciated since you have the manual I am considering.

Now to your question.
1. Who can't shoot 4350 well?......nobody!!!
2. Varget shoots real well in my buudy's 22-250
3. I have had zero luck with Re-22
3. (again) Never used the stuff
4. Ditto and obviously a good guess
5. Re-19 just starting to have good results with the stuff

Well, I'm waiting for the cheating retraction and the congrats on 3 out of 6!

My go to powder is H4831SC.....for the record.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I'm waiting for the cheating retraction and the congrats on 3 out of 6!

I was just kidding about the cheater business.:)

Congratulations! You've won..... uh,....... well.....

An answer to my thread would be appreciated since you have the manual I am considering.

An answer to your thread! Yes! That's what you've won.... if I have an answer for you, that is!

Sevens

It was a fun exercise, but I have real trouble making ANYTHING of that list. It's Lyman's work-ups and results using specific components in specific test receivers. It may show a trend but rifle accuracy being what it is, I think we can (almost?) all agree that anything they publish could be beaten by someone else in a different powder by tweaking something, somewhere.

The variables, especially in rifle handloading are almost endless.

As for how I would use the information? It's my belief that rifle accuracy, for my needs, reaches a point where "good enough" is plenty good enough. Being a handgun guy most of the time, rifle accuracy is almost like cheating. Fine rifle accuracy and beyond is the kind of accuracy I'm unlikely to see considering what I'm working with and the kind of shooting I'm doing. For the folks shooting matches and 400-1000 yards, I can see where they need to set goals well beyond mine.

When trying to pick a rifle powder, I look at things like FPS, and FPS/pressure, charge weight, load data availability and how well I can meter it.

(okay, I'll be honest, my first pick is usually, "what do I have on hand?!" :D)

JD 500

Great thread.

I load only two rifle cartridges, .223 and .300wm.

And use two powders from that list, Varget and RE-22.

Dr. Strangelove

Wow, I use 4 out of the six listed regularly! I wish I had been able to just read this list instead of trying them all...

Well, not really - it was still fun...

uncyboo

Wow, I use 4 out of the six listed regularly!

Me too. The first 3 and the last one. Was really surprised about 4064 not being there. But, I suppose this isn't the "be all to end all" list, either.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Just out of curiousity, what were those loads?

Sorry, I have no idea.

I simply looked for the bold print indicating a potential accuracy load and wrote down the powder. I was paying not particular attention to the cartridge in question.

Jimro

3 stick rifle powders, one single base two double base
1 spherical double base rifle powder
1 handgun/reduced rifle powder

The stick powders have it I guess. IMR/Hogdon and Alliant both have two powders in the top 5, Accurate has one.

However, the point here shouldn't be that the powder is accurate, but that a large cross section of rounds are accurate with a given powder. It's a fine distinction.

Users of IMR 4064 (another stick rifle powder) should feel bad that their powder isn't on this list, plenty of high power shooters have won matches with 4064. The same could be said for 4895.

Jimro

Edward429451

Quote:
4064 was 24th on the list....

7 recommended loads.

Just out of curiousity, what were those loads?

I bet one of them was
.308 Win
42.5 gr IMR-4064
180 gr BT

That was an Olympic load and presumably set many records. I accidently happened into that but my load was 41.5 grains and was wicked accurate. My son took an Elk with that load

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I bet one of them was
.308 Win
42.5 gr IMR-4064
180 gr BT

180gr BT (Nosler) accuracy load is IMR4895 42.5gr, also listed as max load

4064 is not listed as ANY accuracy load for the 308.

Oddly enough.