Over-All Top Accuracy Powder

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I just finished doing a review of the suggested top accuracy picks for rifles from the Lyman 49th Edition.

Does anyone care to take a guess at the top 5 recommended powders for the entire range of rifle cartridges?

From the 17 Remington Fireball to the 348 Winchester, several powders made the grade time and time again.

Out of 72 powders that were recommended for accuracy loads at least once, the top 5 powders were recommended in a full 28.85% of all loads. 138 of the 478 accuracy suggestions all belonged to those 5 powders.

Who wants to guess?

NO CHEATING!!;)

Irish80prf

H4895 or imr 4895, just a wild guess on one of them. If I remember h4895 is kind of in the middle for burn rate so I would think it would work in a lot of different loads.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Varget!

Varget is number 2, overall, but it was FAR and away the number 1 suggestion for calibers from approximately 6mm down and was also listed for certain bullet weights in the much larger calibers.

1)?
2)Varget
3)?
3)?
4)?
5)?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Oh, I just noticed....

49willys gets the award for number one!

IMR 4350....

Overall, not even a close race. 4350 was listed for nearly 50% more choices than was #2 (Varget). It also spanned an impressive range of the smaller and largest calibers

1)IMR 4350
2)Varget
3)?
3)?
4)?
5)?

Sevens

I dunno how well my guess will work, since it's better for the smaller bores.

I will say H322. H335 for a backup guess.

mrawesome22

I would say IMR4064 and IMR4320 might be the tie for #3? IMR3031 for #4 and
H335 for #5? Am I close.
I know my Lyman 48th HEAVILY lists IMR powders.